Hewlett-Packard

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

112 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people but a struggling company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are smart, friendly, reasonable, and want to do the best they can for their product.

ConsCompany unsure what it is, many years of severe cost-cutting and poor acquisitions really hammered employee excitement and pride, future is very uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what HP is supposed to be, get the employees behind that future and vision, and the company will do well.

Glory days are over!

Business Planning Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbility to work from home, great people (they become like family), good pay, working for large company gives you access to corporate discounts, etc.

ConsUpper management seems to no longer care about employees, bottom line is you meet your numbers anyway you can. If managers do not meet their numbers, it's the employees that suffer; little to no upper managers that are laid off, but plenty of individual contributors are. Too much outsourcing to other countries. Heard of a manager that has an opening, yet just laid off 4 people??

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the workforce reductions, but they will keep doing it to save costs (which is an answer to poor management and not meeting numbers).

Inspiring

IT Developer/Engineer (Current Employee)
Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

ProsThe leadership here is very supportive and everyone has an open door policy. It is a relaxed atmosphere but I still have the drive to perform and help out where ever possible.

ConsAt the moment, I don't really have too much to say negatively about HP. I would have liked there to be more clarity in what I'm doing and how I can get help from others, but after working here for a while, it's all starting to come together.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I know that there are a lot of "negative nancy's" out there but we see what you're doing and appreciate everything.

its ok

Technology Consultant IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexibility of work from home

Consincreased pressure work working long hours while working with diff regions, too many management layers

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the employees /reportees happy so they dont leave . rt now most people are dissatisfied with middle management,

An awesome company that fosters teamwork, opportunities for advancement and numerous career paths.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros* Fosters team work and hires highly motivated individuals
* Promotes and rewards employees with excellent job performance
* Excellent employee benefits (salary, health/dental, retirement, company-wide celebrations)
* Offers numerous career paths (different roles and different businesses)

Cons* Work-life balance in all business needs improvement
* Under staffed within organizations (ratio between management versus individual contributors
* Numerous layers of management between individual employees and executive management

Advice to Senior Management* Reward and retain employees with high job performance and experience
* Staff all organizations/businesses appropriately to regain realistic work-life balance levels
* Promote the 'HP-Way' where the employees are the company's most valued asses

Really good people work here; working with such outstanding people has been the high point of working at HP.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood values and ethics around how people should treat each other on the job; interesting work is there but you may have to move around some to find it; the pay is pretty good compared to other companies in the local area.

ConsThings seem more political now than in previous years; non-executive employees are probably not rewarded as well as they once were.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, people want to do a good job in their work for HP and see the company succeed. Reasonable guidance and management by objective, with generous rewards, can help employees to exceed expectations. Constant change and thrash make it difficult for employees to stay focused and know what is expected of them. Is there a way to manage the constant change so as to minimize road map, people, and values churn?

Very good company

R&D Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility in job assignments. HP way still exists with longer term employees

ConsLow salary. Unclear business strategy. Changes in senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and change ranking process

Great people recovering from unfocused leadership

Product Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHP has great people and a commitment to keeping and growing them as employees. You can still have a career at HP, as attested by my peers who have 25 and 35 years with the company.

There is an ongoing focus on employee development with ample training opportunities within the company. Many groups have job rotation opportunities.

The "HP Way" is a real thing. There is a real "open door" policy and management works with employees, not against them. Decisions at HP are by consensus, rarely by fiat.

For technical workers, HP has a non-management career track. Engineers can become Specialists, Experts, and Masters, with commiserate pay and increased cross-domain responsibility. They sidestep the Peter Principle by allowing smart people to advance while not forcing them to get outside their area of competence.

ConsThe last 10+ years have been rough at HP as the upper management has tried, failed, and flailed to come to terms with the changing IT landscape. Leadership has vacillated from short term profit extraction to incompetence. It has been ugly.

HP has not, historically, been very nimble. It's a huge company and can be slow to turn. It is unclear if this can change.

Some groups have ongoing layoffs and outsourcing.

That said, Meg Whitman has been a positive force for change and for once we appear to have a way forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! We know that it will be painful getting HP back in the black, but HP has strong bones. We can be great again.

A wonderful exposure to the different parts of the software cycle

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern for less than a year

ProsI worked with a truly wonderful team in the summer after my freshman year of college. My manager was very adept at leading, knowing when to give people their space and when to push them to perform. I was also assigned a mentor who took such an active and positive role in my education, always answering my never-ending stream of questions enthusiastically and cheerfully. I learned such an unbelievable amount from him. Looking back, I really think that almost all of my time that summer was spent doing things that meaningfully improved my knowledge of computer science.

ConsOur team was often changing focus because of uncertainty in at the highest levels of management, so it was sometimes difficult to find projects for me to work on. But I believe my team made a real effort to keep my busy with meaningful work.

Company on decline. Balkanized culture. Employee dis-engagement

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid brand. People care about customers, products, investors. Good place to work IF you are in the right division and have the right boss.

ConsCompany has done a lousy job of integrating the companies that have come in via acquisition over the last 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a corporate culture that weaves together people, technology along with customers.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in Roseville, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.