Hewlett-Packard

Updated February 26, 2015
2.9

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Business Consultant - Application and Business Services

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Values and Ethics

Cons

Project Variety and Consulting challenges missing
    No training and professional development
    Growth is very slow

Any Services company need to have a very strong job rotation policy so that people are multi skilled which provide them with challenges , new energy and thus prepares them for leadership roles

Not a company for sales people

Current Employee - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Other than broad name recognition, there is no reason to work here if you are a strong sales professional.

Cons

HP is an example of "too big to succeed". The company is bloated, business processes are poor, an innovation is rare. But the single biggest issue is that HP's compensation system is archaic. Brought over from the Compaq acquisition, the system was actually deployed at DEC in the '90s, when selling servers was much lower volume. The result, you never actually believe the commission reports. And when you find errors and submit claims, the first defense by the company is to decline it (a low level analyst in Costa Rica does this), then you start the battle to get a claim approved. So if you are used to killing it in sales, and expect to be paid, be prepared to spend hours each week tracking progress of orders, crediting to you, and finally getting paid.

The cobblers children syndrome (no shoes) is not an excuse anymore. Time to flush the entire compensation group, outsource it to a company that has modern technology and provide confidence to the sales teams that they are being paid correctly. By the way, MyComp reporting is lipstick on a pig.
    And stop rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! Destroying the EAM role three years ago, only to resurrect it this year makes HP look bipolar. Do you really not know how to focus attention on your top accounts? This constant pattern of bringing "new and aggressive" sales management to "shake us up" is getting old. The reason people leave within five years of hire is because HP does not present itself as a well run organization where careers can grow, and anyone with talent can move to many other companies and be paid more for a better work environment.

Great work-life balance and career mobility

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

large company, there are several opportunities for advancement/different career paths

Cons

lack of cohesion throughout company, corporate road blocks

Software Product Manager

Current Employee - Software Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent for what I do.

Cons

Leadership is ever changing and direction is very unclear. It sometimes feels like Meg is throwing darts at a dartboard to determine her next move. If you don't perform on her crazy ideas well enough, then you get booted.

Put some money into resourcing your software development.

HR shifted performance rating curve almost the last straw...where is my parting gift Don Pardo...

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With the right team and manager , great people. I have been lucky enough to have that from year 3 onward. Good benefits depending where you are.

Cons

Endless corporate agendas and spin to cover the mistakes of the past. The latest is the split and spin. Lack of innovation brought to market for years. Serious morale problem due to inept EC level decisions and rewards which have cost the company dearly. Heavy handed HR polices now in play to make what was your good/great work look like barely competent or incompetent in their eyes. Bye bye bonus yet free cash flow and company debt pay down is way ahead of schedule.

Clean house and place a proper set of innovators on the board and at the CxO positions or simply put the place up for sale piece by piece. Its a death by a thousand ( or tens of thousands) of cuts of bright people going elsewhere.

I worked with Hewlett-Packard for twenty-two years and I still respect the Company

Former Employee - Information Testing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Information Testing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I will always keep my ideas from HP. I still keep my products such as HP such as HP Pavilion Entertainment PC.

Cons

It is very important to handle the 'Cons' actions. I will keep up information for various projects to make sure that it will work well!

I will do my best with the HP Management projects. This is my best Company!

Good place, needs an innovation culture.

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Established. Several profitable businesses. Rich heritage/legacy. Great channel strength.

Cons

Serious lack of innovation - maybe something is in the works that no one knows about.

Excellent

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, one of the top companies in the world, diversity, training and education, travel opportunities, working with the best in the field

Cons

Challenging but exciting. Very high pressure end of quarters. Company sometimes pushes products that are not ready for the market and you have difficult time selling them.

Great company to build fundamentals in product management and marketing.

Former Employee - Director Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Run with good ideas. Big company with focused, small teams to work hard but have fun. Opportunities to work in US and overseas with smart people and culture of professionalism. Plenty of training and diverse areas of technology to develop breadth. Good benefits

Cons

Leadership is good in pockets, but things change as good execs get moved around. Can be a bit bureaucratic and slower moving than competitors.

Talk with individuals to keep in touch with the pulse of the business and see brooder perspectives.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Global Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Global Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy of schedule, good support for Account Executives. good benefits.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement (too big); products always just miss good release date for early adoption.

Take more risks with products and be first!