Hexcel

Hexcel Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Nick L. Stanage

Happy to work here

ProsThe company is expanding and there are great growth opportunities for employees. I cannot speak for all departments, but I work on a very cohesive team that works together to achieve success. What I especially love is that we are encouraged to grow professionally by obtaining certifications, pursuing higher education, and taking time for job enrichment.

ConsI do not have any arguments or complaints at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Feeble minds and spines united

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsThe company is rapidly growing. Plenty of work to do to keep busy. The benefits seem to be ok. Like coworkers. One or two managers are sharp and open to new ideas.

ConsI see a lot of finger-pointing and blame with the managers. With all the finger pointing, there is little innovation. This is a soulless lot, full of pretention, and little spines. . value are scapegoating, deflection, and cronyism. A group think culture among managers. Anyone who challenges the status quo is met with open hostility.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity and inclusion are too far beyond Hexcel. Take some classes so you may, one day, begin treating people like people. Embrace challenges. Respect differences.

Nightmare culture with no strategic vision

Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe Salt Lake area is beautiful.

ConsThe working environment was oppressive and backward. Placing blame was the overriding goal for root cause investigation and the person to be blamed was usually decided before the investigation began. The bonus was a joke and the salary was never enough to cover the abuse, calls at all hours of the night and unpaid overtime (50 - 60 hours per week). The plant was routinely so filthy that the equipment was damaged due to the conductive nature of the product. The safety record for the plant was very poor and many of the safety initiatives failed to achieve their goal of reducing injuries.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the talented people that you hire before you cause them to leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great potential held back by an archaic culture

Process Engineer (Current Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsHexcel is a company with great growth prospects, reasonable compensation and excellent people at the non management level. Work life balance is second to none.

ConsThe pervasive culture is one of CYA and a dismissal of new ideas and continuous improvement. There is a definite "ol boys" network that can make day to day life miserable.

Hexcel is the worse

Engineer (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsCo-workers can be nice ... when you see them outside of Hexcel.

ConsHigh turn over rate of engineers and hourly workers. Highly stressed environment and you end up having to work with rude co-workers. Union environment clearly defines a "you vs them" division and makes collaboration nearly impossible. Management does not listen to anyone unless you are talking money. I held a technical position, so management was never interested in what I had to state. The culture promotes pencil whipping, pointing fingers and passing the buck. I'm not sure why/how they are still in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo use. See comments on management above.

Hexcel - So so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon-management employees are nice and easy to work with.

ConsManagement leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some new blood.

Definitely a second-rate management group—and that’s being generous.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company manufactures interesting product and working at Hexcel is probably an acceptable means to enter the composite industry or learn about general manufacturing operations. The pay and benefits seem to be better than average and there are usually sufficient resources to do the job. The company is expanding. SLC plants are union (and for good reason). Hexcel is probably a good stepping stone should you be starting your career.

ConsA significantly corrosive culture is rampant. Different manufacturing plant management groups cannot get along, which is a situation that senior management seems to be encouraged as in a “survival or the fittest” mentality. Company is not cohesively managed; no one attribute ties the entire company together—seems to be more a “group” of plants, not a unified operation. Meaningful corporate communication is very poor unless you are part of the “in” crowd. Too many middle managers engage in a “goal of the day” strategy and unfortunately pursue a “burn and turn” practice when things do not work out. Long-term employees stay for the wrong reasons; worries such as an inability to find a job that pays as much, losing health insurance, or longer commutes are too prevalent. It is hard to find anyone who works for the sheer excitement of the job or the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your “ivory” corporate towers. Start an earnest and sincere 360-degree review of each plant’s middle management, especially those managers invested in retaining their current, comfortable jobs. Change the culture; it is causing high turnover and the wrong people are leaving the company. Listen to the people who actually do the work. Tie the company together and hire more middle managers from the outside, support them, and actually embrace what they recommend.

Hypocritical, I was in training, doing as I was instructed and was told my work was inadequate.

Sheeter Stacker (Former Employee) Casa Grande, AZ

ProsVery good benefits, room for advancement

ConsSome people can make mistakes without being reprimanded, some people get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen closer to your production employees.

Great place to begin a solid foundation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood structure, friendly co-workers, great place to grow into something more substantial.

ConsUnion dominated, if you don't have a degree don't bother trying to move up within the organization. Too lean in critical resources

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your resources inside of the company instead of always looking out.

Growth but....

Process Engineer (Current Employee) West Valley, UT

ProsThere is great growth opportunity. The company is expanding quickly. They promote continuing education and getting additional certifications. Diverse in their products.

ConsThe company is spread out across the US and other countries. Communication is tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone yet.

Worked for Hexcel? Contribute to the Community!