Hi-Line Reviews

Mike Sheaffer

1. Great opportunity for those who believe in providing great service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line is constantly challenged with providing a level of service that has become rare in our price-conscious society today. In spite of these challenges, Hi-Line has managed to maintain profitability for over 55 years and continues to grow. Team members who have a passion for serving other people tend to thrive at Hi-Line, and there are numerous examples of people who have been with the company for 20+ years. In fact, all of the executives at Hi-Line have been with the company for at least 7 years, most of them for over 10 years. Over 25% of the sales and service team has also been with Hi-Line for over 10 years, most of them making a very comfortable income. In the home office, the atmosphere is friendly. With so many people having worked together for many years, they have a genuine concern for each other. No, it is not paradise, but it is a wonderful place to work!

Cons

Those who have become disgruntled at Hi-Line generally have failed to overcome the challenges associated with selling Hi-Line's inventory management services. They were unsuccessful at overcoming rejection and often began believing that they were charging their customers more than their services were worth. Indeed, unless they were providing the level of service that Hi-Line advertises, they probably were charging too much! It is not surprising that these folks often cast blame for their failure on the company, but Hi-Line's track record of success demonstrates the continuing viability of its business model.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals and continue striving for constant improvement!

They don't lie to you...

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity and commission for the right salesman in the right territory. You make your own schedule. You get to see the fruits of your efforts. You get to call on a wide range of businesses you otherwise wouldn't, some of them pretty cool! You do not pay for the inventory. Expectations are simple and clearly defined. Lots of promotional materials to buy for your customers.

Cons

You pay ALL your own expenses (gas, cell, computer, repairs, maintenance, wash). You're going to pay a $40,000 cover charge for the Hi-Line approved truck. You split your commissions. Hi-Line makes more on the sale than the salesman, so you're buying an opportunity to make money for the company. They'll take their cut and give you the rest. The added value to your customers comes in cleaning their shops. There is an extremely high turnover rate for TMs. You have to get lucky to get the right manager to learn from, otherwise you're left to a manual and other salesmen. There's a lot of competition and not much differentiation. Expect your customers to push back because of price. It's a relationship business, so if you don't already have the relationships it's tough. Don't expect a lot of help. Bottom line, read the other reviews. Eliminate the ones that sound like sour grapes and you've got a pretty clear picture. Hi-Line doesn't care who makes money for them, just that money is coming in. Mike is a grump. I made a good amount of money and lived paycheck to paycheck keeping my bills paid. I think it says something that Hi-Line has apologized to so many former employees on this website.

Advice to Management

Don't treat sales like a standard cookie cutter process. Don't allow your middle management to forget the challenges they faced when they were in the field.

Be Careful

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time

Pros

Small company with simple business concept. Pay can be good in some positions.

Cons

Business owned by one family with a number of family members working there. Sales positions are more like franchises but without the income upside. Turnover in sales force is horrendous. CEO is the son of the founder and has massive tunnel vision because of lack of experience.

Advice to Management

It's 2015 but it is probably too late to make the changes to ensure the longevity of this company.

May 27, 2015

Hi-Line is a privately-owned, family business with over 150 employees. Its Territory Manager's are outside sales & service specialists that have the ability to make great money by the way of ... More

Stay away from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hi-Line

Pros

I cannot say anything good about them.

Cons

Everything about the company. Very few people work there foray length of time.

Apr 7, 2015

Foray: 1. to ravage in search of spoils : pillage. 2. a sudden or irregular invasion outside one's accustomed sphere. Perhaps your word choice was just a coincidence ... More

Leave your logic at the door

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family-owned company. Health benefits. 401k. The distribution/warehouse team works efficiently. These guys are relentless and work tirelessly to support the sales team. Sales force is solid. The company actually has a potential to grow because of its dedicated sales team! Good job guys! Since its a small company there is lots of visibility with other departments and mangers. Its really easy to walk up to the CEO or the CFO and strike up a conversation with them.

Cons

Family-owned company. And it acts like one! It seems like almost all of the decisions that steer the company's future are based on emotions and feelings or whims rather than business acuity, research, or any type of analytics. At times there seems to be no justifiable reasons as to why management implements the things it does whether its concerning business development or office culture. Gossipy, clique based, and down-right unprofessional. Everybody talks about everything, regardless of if its unprofessional in nature. Gossip spreads like wildfire. There are certain employees that speak absent any forethought as to how certain comments will be received by a co-worker. And the management is well aware of such behavior, and looks the other way. There is no sensitivity training for those who stand to be corrected. People just roll their eyes and move on like its normal to say or do unprofessional things to one another. Its not. Management....Oh the miscommunication! It would help if the people in management positions actually knew about managing a team or a project. Most of the time people are cramming and scurrying to finish things on time. And it seems like none of the managers are actually communicating well with neither their peers, employees nor bosses. They all just collectively concur to say things that the CEO wants to hear. They don't actually challenge each other, support each other or communicate ideas that will be productive and boost revenue. Some of the management team severely lacks proficiency in their own particular field of work. You would think that a person managing a department would be well versed in their field/department. Ex: the marketing manager should know the very basics of marketing. Its an embarrassment when the person in charge of the department cant speak intelligently about their own field of "expertise". This allows for a shoddy work environment and leaves the management vulnerable to be manipulated by their employee(s) because they can't discern the BS from the merit. Nepotism. Need I say anything more? Refer to "Family-owned company" Come here if you want a job, not a career. There is no growth in this company especially in the home office. Despite the supposed "uncapped commissions" you will always be a sales person. I have known people to choose to go out into the sales force rather than to grow with their tenure because there is more "money to be made and more flexibility to be had" as a sales person. There have been people that quit because their manager wasn't fit to do their job but they still held the title and position causing unnecessary friction. The blame sadly falls to nepotism. Not surprisingly this culture of nepotism trickles down to upper management and management. Last but not least: The building is actually located in a pretty shady part of town. The building and the cars in the parking lot have had several attempts of breaking and entering. There is no security on duty at any point and if you're the last person out of the building you're walking to your car at your own risk. They don't mention that before you sign on.

Advice to Management

Change with the times and listen to your employees. You hired them so let them do their jobs and try to take a note of their expertise. That being said, train your managers to listen smartly and give credit where credit is due. Please train your management team on communication, management tactics and professionalism. Invest in team building activities. These are different from office parties or celebrations. It would help the office culture if the team members actually learned to respect each other. Just go ahead and revoke your rule of "no food or drink at your desk". Everybody is doing it anyways.

7. FANTASTIC DEBT FREE COMPANY!!!!!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for some pretty incredible companies through out my career, but I have to say that the Support, Training and Management that I've receievd with HI-LINE has been the best experience!! I work virtually and never feel left to figure things out on my own, I always feel appreciated and LOVE my position within the company. It's hard to find a company that not only appreciates your hard work, but has a system in place to reward you with uncapped commissions and a very lucrative bonus plan. HI-LINE is DEBT FREE and offers top of the line benefits after 30 days of employement. They have exceeded my expectations and I am looking forward to a long career and retiring with them 20+ years from now. My advice would be if you have the opportunity to work with HI-LINE you should jump at the chance.

Cons

I have not experienced any Con's with HI-LINE and am really enjoying my employment with them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I appreciate all the support and encouragement I have been given in my position.

Jul 11, 2014

Hi-Line thanks you for your kind words and we look forward to throwing your retirement party, whenever that may be.

Outstanding Company. Fantastic People.

Current Employee - Sales in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in DFW, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line is committed to servicing many different industries while maintaining very high values. The Integrity level of this company is excellent. High Quality People, High Quality Products. I have been employed at Hi-Line for over 15 years and I am part of a company that has a real 'family' feel to the atmosphere and culture. The tenure of employees is something that impresses me. The Corporate office has many employees that have worked here 20, 30 and even 40+ years. That right there tells me what a great place to work at if the employees love what they do and stay around for that long. I enjoy coming to work everyday and I can truly say that I love my job at Hi-Line too! I am so glad to be part of a Christian-based organization that always puts the customer first with impeccable service. Hi-Line is an Outstanding Company with Fantastic People.

Cons

I have never had a negative experience while working at Hi-Line in my 15+ years. This company has never 'over-promised and under-delivered' anything to me or anyone else that I have ever seen or heard about.

Advice to Management

Again, Hi-Line has such an awesome culture that all of us feel like we are important to the continued growth of this company. Management is fair and committed to doing the right thing every time. Like we say here at Hi-Line, "everyone is helping row the boat"!

Jul 11, 2014

Hi-Line loves that longevity is so prevalent with its employee's tenure. Thank You for helping row the boat. We hope you have a happy and successful career with Hi-Line.

Company functions in spite of CEO

Former Employee - Marketing in Farmers Branch, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Farmers Branch, TX

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the worker-bee level employees are nice and committed to doing a good job. They keep the company afloat despite of the poor management.

Cons

Low pay and a siege mentality among employees as a member of upper management is a screamer.

Advice to Management

Anger management therapy for upper management was be a good beginning.

Jul 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Hi-Line takes all comments seriously as we are very committed to providing a company culture that is healthy for everyone.

Deceptive recruiting

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE at all anytime soon

Cons

They obtain all your personal financial , ssn, etc to see if your credit is good enough to buy their truck including financing the inventory.. They told me the former salesman on this route retired after 22 yrs but can't get in touch with him? Hmmm

Advice to Management

Don't mislead to hire.

Jul 11, 2014

We are saddened to hear this inaccurate information was given to anyone. Hi-Line's Territory Manager's do own and operate their own Mobile Stores so financing procedures are common. However ... More

I was so impressed at first until i became familiar with their inner workings

I worked at Hi-Line full-time

Pros

They have a decent training course

Cons

The Most dishonest company I have ever worked with. I came on with Hi-Line into a new territory and built it very quickly. I was awarded several awards including trophies, plaques, and two gold watches. During this time I discovered several things about this company that did not align with my moral code. When I discovered that the integrity of this company was something that I did no longer care to align myself with, I told them that I would cover the customers for up to one year, knowing that it sometimes takes that long to find a new Territory Manager. I gave them a year notice, and it took them 8 months to fill the position. I noticed that after I gave notice that the effort that they put into collecting invoices decreased significantly. I did not understand the significance of this until I tried to get my last paycheck after they finally found my replacement. Hi-Line considers all money owed forfeit once a replacement is found. $8,700 is what was owed for my last paycheck. It looks as if I will have to get an attorney to try to get some of that money back, which means a large portion of that will be spent on attorney fees. Be very careful of this company. They are crooked as a snake. People in the company are scared to death to upset Mike, the owner.

Advice to Management

Mike, the way you screw your TM's, your only source of income, will come bak to bite you in a big way. There is no other possible alternative for this course of action.

Mar 6, 2015

It is unfortunate that your career with Hi-Line did not work out. Our ethics and integrity levels at Hi-Line are genuinely high so we are surprised to hear that your individual experience was less ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed