Hibbett Sports

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hibbett Sports President and CEO Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Pros
  • Good hours, good people to work with, company is moving forward and upward to get bigger and better(in 6 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, 25% off of your whole purchase(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no cell phones allowed, typical retail(in 7 reviews)

• Hibbett Sports pays their employees minimum wage, which is basically saying "I would pay you less if I could"(in 6 reviews)

Little opportunity to grow

Team Captain (Current Employee) Warner Robins, GA

Pros-retail experience
    - work with district manager all the way to Rookies

Cons-weak pay
    -little flexibility
    -little-no opportunity for growth

Taught me a lot as a professional...

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Russellville, AR

ProsPersonal growth, sales, organization, leadership, lots of human interaction. I worked here while in college and it was great. They worked around my classes and i enjoyed the experience. I loved the people i worked with and I enjoyed interacting with tons of customers throughout the day. If you like sports and you like people, you would like this job.

Consrandom hours, low pay. There were a few cons. If you weren't the manager, you didn't get paid hardly anything. Also, the hours varied weekly and it wasn't always necessarily easy to get off for something if you had to. Probably the biggest con is that there isn't any commission. You sell, sell, sell, and the manager encourages you to, but he's the only one that gets fiscally rewarded for that. You get your name on a sheet of paper at the end of the pay period saying you were the best salesman, but that's it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive commission to your employees. It could be minimal, but at least they would be motivated to work harder and be rewarded for it.

Good experience

ProsEasy going, easy to learn products and meet with a lot of fun people.

ConsDon't move up in the company, don't expect a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management is fine, corporate needs to be less stingy with their salaries

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hibbett Sports Review

Assistant Coach (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFlexible schedules for employees who are working through college. Hibbett Sports teaches their employees how to act towards a customer, and management emphasizes it daily.

ConsHibbett Sports pays their employees minimum wage, which is basically saying "I would pay you less if I could". Assistant coaches only received a $1 raise. No commission for non Head Coaches.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology--new register software, updated website, new transferring processes. Your employees are an investment, treat them like it.

Only work here if you must.

Team Player (Former Employee)

ProsHibbetts provides a pretty casual work environment. If you're a teenager or student, it's a flexible place to work and build reliable work history for your resume while you're in school. Do not find yourself trapped in a career with hibbetts, however.

ConsHibbetts employs the working poor. You'll be paid the minimum wage our government will legally allow. If you already earned a Bachelors degree, that'll earn you an extra 10 cents per hour. Even Assistant management gets below $10. Hibbetts invests very little into it's employees and you will constantly be under scrutiny instead of being considered a valuable associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompanies like Banana Republic / Gap willingly pay all of their employees a minimum of $10 per hour. They view their associates as an investment. If an employee takes pride in what he does and the company he works for, that employee will go above and beyond to serve you and your customers.

Hibbetts puts little stock in it's employees, their work environment or pay, which is indicative of an employer who only does so begrudgingly.

Hibbett through college

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsFlexible with life schedule. Store and regional management takes a direct interest in individual employees. Quality customer service is taught and uniformly given.

ConsTechnology is horrible. The registers go down regularly and logistically they're in the stone age. Being a low cost operation hurts sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in things like better registers and network capabilities. Transfers and shipments need to be made more efficient. Would be better off with a grass roots local store approach.

I thoroughly enjoy working at Hibbett!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Corinth, MS

ProsWorking at Hibbett Sports I get to work with people and help them make the best decisions on their purchase.

ConsYou have to deal with difficult customers from time to time.

It's a semi stressful job with low pay minimal time off and no respect from upper management

Head Coach (Former Employee)

ProsThe job is not hard. You get to work with people and there's not a lot of micro managing.

ConsThey tell you all the time that the store managers are the key to the company's success but they pay almost %20 less than other retailers. Holiday hours are ridiculous and each manager isn't rated equally. It's very much a good ol boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on your regional managers and dms. 1. They're not working their schedule. 2. They choose employees to promote based on golf buddies.

Hibbett Sports

Assistant Coach (Former Employee) Greenville, TX

ProsWorking for a Sporting good place. fun environment and decent discount on purchases

ConsLow rate of pay, for all associates, I became an Assistant Manager and barely got a raise and didnt get full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you want them to stay there and that you value them. Stay current with other businesses with your pay rate

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

"Ok, place for first retail job"

Head Coach (Current Employee) Greenville, NC

Prosloved working in a shoe store, at hibbett you have hardgoods, apparel and shoes, including retro releases! most store in same category will have just apparel and shoes. Pretty easy to move up in position if you want to. Good alternative if you want to work at shoe store but cant get on with footlocker,finishline,etc

ConsThe pay is horrible! I work for another shoe store now and make way more and im not even a store manager yet. I feel corporate doesnt care much for employees as they say took away walmart gift cards for some online shopping point system which is only beneficial to larger volume stores. Stores are to far apart as far as product and some get better treatment than others which makes it harder for those stores to grow. They don't put all their stores in best locations to succeed, and they seem scared of the competition.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees more! they work there up to 48hrs they do know a little. Get bonuses to store managers sooner, should not have to wait 3-4 weeks to get a bonus that you've earned. Give walmart gift cards back, employees really liked them and gameday is not a good substitute. Think about commission plan, employees can't live off the very low pay in comparison to your competition.

Worked for Hibbett Sports? Contribute to the Community!