Hibbett Sports

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hibbett Sports President and CEO Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Pros
  • Good hours, good people to work with, company is moving forward and upward to get bigger and better(in 6 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, 25% off of your whole purchase(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no cell phones allowed, typical retail(in 7 reviews)

• Hibbett Sports pays their employees minimum wage, which is basically saying "I would pay you less if I could"(in 6 reviews)

Great College Job

Team Player (Former Employee) Clarkesville, GA

ProsGreat environment to learn about working with a team of people. Fun atmosphere. Easy to pick up on all sporting equipment. Great incentives.

Conswork on weekends. Sometimes relying on a team member can be difficult if you feel more productive working solo.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoved this job very much! Always was allowed to pick hours that fit my school schedule. Great environment to be in and thrive in. Learning customer service was a great asset for later jobs in life.

Great place for college students

ProsEasy job, fun employees, flexible hours

ConsBORING on slow days! Manager suck butt

Advice to Senior ManagementRAISE RAISE RAISE ! Been there for 6 months would never give me a raise!

Flexibility

ProsThe flexibility as an assistant manager was great. Very cool work environment. Store manager and District provided a great source of education.

ConsSmall company but do see growth potential. very low pay and not a lot of bonus opportunities as an assistant manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salaries/hourly pay

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it.

ProsDiscounts. Nice environment. Friendly Management.

ConsLow pay. Low hours. Drama. Little bonus. Test.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Great Experience

ProsGreat team environment, potential for growth, focus on customers.

ConsLow pay, management does not listen as much as they should, policies are outdated.

Mediocre company at best.

Team Player (Former Employee)

ProsThe employee discount is decent, 25% off of your whole purchase.
    You also have a somewhat flexible schedule (there is a caveat though).
    Results may vary, but my coworkers and managers were super nice.
     It’s not bad place to work if you are über enthusiastic about sports, and no drug tests are required to get hired.

ConsBesides the typical ailments of a retail job…
    Hibbetts is extremely outdated with their technology. Slow is an understatement with their registers. Their inventory tracking program is also lackluster. Whenever an item sells well, it hardly ever restocks that item, and if it does it takes months to restock on that item.
    The pay is (not surprisingly) awful. Don’t ever expect to see a double digit wage unless you are the head manager. Raises are annual or along with promotions, and unless your store is selling product like hotcakes, the annual raise is iffy.
    Your schedule is never regular. All hours are irregular, your days are inconsistent, and your shifts are always different (for no real reason, either). You’ll never be able to plan anything more than 2 weeks in advance with friends or family. You also work every weekend. I almost forgot what 2 consecutive days off felt like.
    Along with pay, the benefits are mediocre as well. No benefits until 1 year after you reach full time status.
    Don’t expect to get past “Team Player” for a long time. The only way you’re getting a promotion after that is if someone leaves. You will literally never get promoted if your manager doesn’t like you because it is up to them to get approval for your promotion. I would not want the Head Coach’s (head manager) job anyways. 48 hours a week on salary and 1 week of vacation per year.
    Once hired, your training is minimal (if any). You’re given a book that will quiz you on 20+ year old, outdated sales tactics and nonsense policies.
    They want you to sell like a commissioned salesman on an hourly wage. There is no incentive or motivation to sell more. They push silly add on sales like insoles and socks with every shoe sale when they aren’t necessary; adding new people to the MVP rewards because Hibbetts is too cheap to advertise; and there are unrealistic quotas to meet on selling insoles, aerosols, and adding new MVP customers. You’re measured by how much useless product you can add on per sale.
    They have awful priorities. They would rather update a minuscule dress code policy than updating their prehistoric sales tactics.
    And finally, referring to the caveat of a flexible schedule, the schedule is only flexible half of the year. January through May is the only acceptable time you can attend school, or whatever it is you need to do. June through September? No days off because of back to school sales and 4th of July. November and December? Black Friday and Christmas. You’re not allowed any scheduled days off through the busy months. You’re open 363 days a year (the only given are Easter and Christmas) with no sick days either. If no one wants to help you out/cover your shift and you are bleeding from all of your orifices, you are just out of luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so cheap. Update your computers, your inventory programs, and actually install cameras to catch thieves. Reward your good salespeople so there is incentive to try harder. We’re in the 21st century; start advertising your business and products for goodness sake instead of relying on your underappreciated employees to keep bringing existing customers back. You can have the best business in the world, but no one will buy from you if they don’t know you exist.

Generally a good job with advancement opportunities.

Assistant Manager (Coach) (Former Employee) Kerrville, TX

ProsNot a great deal of pressure to pass sales goals. Hours aren't cut or anything like that, but rather it's treated as more of a friendly competition. Full-time receive a choice of different benefit packages (i.e. health, dental & visual). Also, store discount and sales contests can get you hooked up with free/cheap stuff.

ConsManagers hours are definitely too extreme for the amount of compensation. So, while there is opportunity for advancement, you'll have to spend at least some time (over a year for sure) as a Head Manager and those hours are grueling.

Corporate review: I don't know why anyone would want to work for corporate or in our retail stores

Merchandise (Current Employee)

ProsMostly nice people, clean office... (When the toilets aren't filling with stained water that is)... I have a desk and a chair.

ConsPay is absurdly low
    Vacation is terrible
    Sick days and holidays are minimal - if granted any at all
    Also no pay for weather days like when Birmingham was shutdown for snow days
    Major lack of infrastructure
    Minimal training
    Bonuses here are like unicorns, awesome in theory but never seen
    Worst of all: Cowardly and dishonest management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Aim higher than this for a career

Store Manager (Former Employee) Saraland, AL

ProsEasy work, air conditioned. When I interviewed for the job, my boss actually said, "a monkey could do it."

ConsManagement is completely unreasonable, the pay is depressing, yet they want store managers to work as if it is not. If you are a store manager, there is nobody to replace you in the event of an emergency. I had to take a sick child to work once

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic about the job you are paying people to do.

CIT

Assistant Coach (Former Employee) Searcy, AR

ProsGood resume booster. Fun working with a team. Great to be around sports.

ConsThe pay is horrible. Basically minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementPay management better and you will keep the best people in your stores.

Worked for Hibbett Sports? Contribute to the Community!