Hibbett Sports

Updated February 26, 2015
3.2

Hibbett Sports President and CEO Jeffry O. Rosenthal
Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Pros
  • Employee discount is outstanding at 25% off your total purchase (in 7 reviews)

• Smaller "specialty" store focuses more on customer service and product knowledge (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no cell phones allowed, typical retail (in 7 reviews)

• Hibbett Sports pays their employees minimum wage, which is basically saying "I would pay you less if I could" (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved it

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Reasonable hours, loved my coworkers.

Cons

Pay could be better, hard to stay busy

Opportunities through sacrifice

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Basic Summery

Hibbett Sports is a company based in Alabama that has expanded to 38 states within about the last 40 to 50 years. Their strategy is to offer market specific, high end products in market areas that do not or cannot support other major sporting goods providers. They have a blue water strategy so to speak. They rely heavily on a minimum wage work force who are over 18 years of age. Opportunities to move up are available as they prefer to promote from within, but are somewhat limited due to the small-ish size of the corporate operation.

Ranging from associate to store manager, the pay is poor but adequate to the actual work load, paying part-time minimum wage to 28K (this last figure is well above what typical mangers earn due to the bonuses which resulted from the high level of products sold, and please bear in mind that that was one of the highest grossing stores in the country).

The interview process was simple. The store manager position was in flux, so I was contacted and interviewed by the regional manager. We set up a time, and after what I would consider to be a basic question answer interview, lasting 45 min, I was told I would hear about the position by the start of the following week. I was contacted the following week and was offered the job.

As a store manager/coach or an assistant manager/coach-in-training you are expected to work 48 hrs a week. Fairly enough, the 8 hours over 40 is time and one half. However, in my experience most store managers worked 60-80 hrs a week. There are several reasons for this.

First, due to the low but adequate pay, the positions of the associates are constantly in flux. It is Hibbett policy to interview 3 to 5 people per week, even when there is no job positions available so that when (definitely not if) someone is fired the position can be staffed quickly. Thus they typically have a sign saying “Now Hiring”.

Second, the blue water strategy tends to place a store in areas where the populations are of low or very low socioeconomic status. This is where your customers come from; this is where your employees come from. Trust is the leading problem. Additionally, these locations are typically in fringe areas with higher crime rates. Nothing ever happened to me or my property, but I did not feel safe leaving work after dark.

Cons

Now I will say that you do not have to work here if any of the preceding statements bother you. But if you are willing to bleed company colors and work hard, you can move up into corporate and do quite well.

However, I have one final criticism that was the direct reason for my departure from this company. And while this affects every class and type of peoples in one way or another, and while Hibbetts is not alone in providing this same destitution as are Footlocker, Finish Line, and any other “urban styles” store, I saw it with my own eyes at Hibbett Sports.

Shoes.

Yes, shoes, those things you wear on your feet.

On a Black Friday, the craziest day of the year for shopping, I watched as dozens of people were sprayed at with mace by security personnel that had been hired by the shopping area to maintain order. People were mad, people where crying (and not just because they had been maced), people were being withheld from purchasing that one thing they wanted most for themselves, their significant others, their children. Shoes, special release Air Jordan – the most prevalently sought after, Nike Air, Adidas, and Ralph Lauren Polo.

People are whipped into fervor to acquire these shoes. Please bear in mind that they are of a modest construction, offer little functionality, and are essentially worn only for the style- and once they have been dirtied or scuffed, they lose all social credibility.

After witnessing the fervor of greed which almost completely surrounded these name brand shoes time and again, I am convinced that these products are hurting poor communities, essentially upholding a system that is a social and economic drain. And due to the amount of pain that I witnessed, I could not in good conscious work there supporting such a sick system where everyone involved is at fault.

As I sit here writing this; I am forced to recall many things I witnessed which have cast so much doubt and despair upon me. Some of you reading this may think that I am over stating a situation or that I saw an isolated incident; but I am resolute that this has been a common happening. It is now my understanding that these stores have taken great efforts to end this kind of mob fervor by issuing tickets, sometimes by lottery, days before the release and that this has led to a more controlled situation.

Your company operates in a precarious environment. I will say congratulations on getting the fervor for shoes organized. That has helped many people I know who still work there. In addition, the managers were always very fair in the activities and judgments, but there needs to be better communication between the staffers and the managers. I understand with constant turnover this is a challenge and I wish you good luck.

It was alright..

Former Employee - Assistant Coach
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

The job was fun, I got interact with a lot of different people.

Cons

The management I had wasn't that great..
    if my bosses boss was in a bad mood, then so was my boss.

once they found out I was leaving, I was treated like garbage. one of the other managers completely ignored me & gave me attitude whenever he could.

Sales Associate (Rookie)

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy Schedule (student)
    Co workers were young like me.
    Sports equipment and shoes are fun to sell.

Cons

Some of the training protocols are a joke.
    Employee turnover is pretty embarrassing.
    Neither of my managers had college degrees, they were terrible.

Pick better managers or pay them a little more.

Team Player

Former Employee - Team Player in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Team Player in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Dealing with customers and selling sporting goods

Cons

Weekend work and dealing with shoplifters

More training

Great opportunity

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Room for Advancement from within; on the job training.

Cons

Pay/salary is on lower end for most positions.

Asst manager

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

People you work with are aeesome

Cons

Store policy is ridiculous, company is cheap

Come to the 21st century

Great Job Terrible Pay

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked with great people. Very low stress job.

Cons

You have to enjoy standing around a lot. They give good deals for employees but you can never afford anything because you don't make enough.

Nice Company to start off in

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Good environment with friendly staff

Cons

Bad pay; must deal with many company ineffiencies

It's an okay stepping stone job..

Current Employee - Assistant Coach
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Small town values so you build good relationships with the customers. You also build good relationships with your co-workers because you spend so much time with them.

Cons

The pay is only good enough if you're in school and don't plan on making a career there. Even when you advance the pay isn't enough to survive. You bust your butt to get sales but the only person compensated for those sales is the Head Coach.

For the amount of work the employees do I think they should be compensated better.