Hibbett Sports Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
124 reviews filtered by

1. Asst manager

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

People you work with are aeesome

Cons

Store policy is ridiculous, company is cheap

Come to the 21st century

2. I have been very pleased and grateful for my opportunity to work for this company.

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Oxford, MS
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Oxford, MS

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good management. good working environment. helpful employers.

Cons

As an employee pay raises come very seldom and you do not feel appreciated for working hard in order for just your manager to receive a monthly bonus

Management could do more in recognizing their staff and all the hard work they do for them in order for their bosses to get monthly bonuses.

3. Nice Company to start off in

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Good environment with friendly staff

Cons

Bad pay; must deal with many company ineffiencies

5. Great opportunity

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Room for Advancement from within; on the job training.

Cons

Pay/salary is on lower end for most positions.

6. Great Job Terrible Pay

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked with great people. Very low stress job.

Cons

You have to enjoy standing around a lot. They give good deals for employees but you can never afford anything because you don't make enough.

7. It's an okay stepping stone job..

Current Employee - Assistant Coach
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Small town values so you build good relationships with the customers. You also build good relationships with your co-workers because you spend so much time with them.

Cons

The pay is only good enough if you're in school and don't plan on making a career there. Even when you advance the pay isn't enough to survive. You bust your butt to get sales but the only person compensated for those sales is the Head Coach.

For the amount of work the employees do I think they should be compensated better.

8. Easy going job, low pay

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Troy, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Troy, MO

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Easy, 40 hours, discounts are pretty good

Cons

No bonuses as an assistant manager even though the store managers bonus like crazy

Give your assistants better incentives

9. Good stepping stone for experience

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Schedule flexibility. Vacation and benifits.

Cons

48 hours a week. Grueling hours with bare bone staff.

10. It's ok

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Typical Retail position minus the commission (which is a plus)

Cons

Behind the curve in comparison to many other similar stores.

Worst decision I've ever made - Corporate is a mess.

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

The people in the merchandising department are kind and likable for the most part. I had a chair and a desk.

Cons

My first year at Hibbett I got five, yes FIVE whole vacation days and NO sick days. Did I mention you also do not get paid holidays.

When the snow storm hit and the office closed I was also not paid for those days, although it was not my choice to not come in. They wouldn't offer 'hazard pay.'

There are no 'perks' of working here. They say your salary is X, but with bonuses its X++. That is a blatant lie, once in a blue moon you might bonus after years of service. Oh, but don't forget to factor in your $25 Christmas bonus. < No that's not a joke.

If you have kids, you can get away with anything. Leaving early, coming in late, doesn't matter. If you don't, you have to play 20 questions just to take a step towards the door. People also bring their kids to work, so its more of a daycare than a business.

Management is an absolute mess. Its embarrassing. The communication, or lack thereof, in this 'business' is borderline asinine. No one knows what is going on, no one can find someone who does. It's like chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Training - There isn't any. There isn't even a training manual. You basically sit with other people and learn how they do things. The problem is, that person has only been taught one way because of the way they were taught, because of the way the person who taught them was taught. There is no uniformity. Everyone does their own thing their own way and basically you get lucky by who you sit with. One person might have a really good way of doing something and one person might be doing it a really difficult way, but you'd never know because there's no training manual for anything.

This retail company doesn't have e-commerce. Therefore, they never make sales goals. Therefore, no one bonuses. They also don't have the infrastructure to support e-commerce. So even if it did happen, it wouldn't be for a very long time because the new distribution center they spent all their money building, is not equipped for e-commerce. They tell you when you interview that you base salary is X but you will bonus making it X++. That is an outright and blatant lie. You've been forewarned.

The worst part of the year I wasted at Hibbett: I learned absolutely nothing. Not one thing. After an entire year I have zero applicable knowledge I can take with me elsewhere. If a company happens to run on the same outdated operating system well surely then I'll be in luck. However, the likelihood of that happening is nonexistent. That is the most frustrating part of working here, I have learned nothing. I have not grown professionally in any way, shape or form. The only thing Hibbett taught me is everything I don't want in a company.

Communicate. Train people properly. Stop lying to your employees. Start moving toward e-commerce at a more rapid pace, not the aged snails pace you're working on. This is something that should've been done nearly a decade ago.