Hibbett Sports Reviews

Reset

Awful Company to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some pretty good people. We had a small staff so we all grew pretty close.

The company gives younger people a chance to become a general manager at the store level. If you come in motivated, a promotion to store manager will happen fairly quickly( not for a good reason though).

Cons

Their pay is a joke compared to other companies. My boss once told me that "you don't come to Hibbett for money". And he sure wasn't lying. $8.50/hr for assistant managers? $9.50/hr for managers in training? That's terrible, fast food pays better wages than that.

Along with pay, the benefits aren't very good as well. You won't recieve full-time benefits until you've been there for a year.

You're expected to pay for your own uniform. If it's cold on the sales floor in the winter you're not allowed to wear your own jacket, they expect you to pay $50 for an approved one on the salesfloor.

You're expected to sell like a commissioned salesman on an hourly wage. You won't get anything for selling aerosols and insoles, yet they want you to push, push, push those items.

They're store policy is outdated, no cell phones, cover tattoos etc. Most retail places don't do that kind of stuff nowadays.

You're forced to follow every customer around the store to watch them because Hibbett is too cheap to install cameras to actually catch real thieves.

As a manager you're forced to work 48 hrs a week, no overtime, on salary and 1 week vacation a year. Bad, bad and bad.

Finally the company appears confused. They want to operate under the image of a small-town sports company, but the corporate policy is very rigid.
    They stress of family to employees, but if you have a family you'd never see the insane amount of hours they expect you to work. The company is more worried about misuse of coupons and employee discount rather than advertising their business.

And referring to ease at which associates can move up to store manager if they so choose, it is because the manager turnover rate is ridiculously high(above 90 percent). That is because the company cannot hold on to managers since they barley pay them a living wage.

Advice to Management

I feel like if I answer this thoroughly I'd end up writing a book.

All I can say is come to this century. Update your store policy and your technology. You're business is operating two decades behind your competitors. It's no wonder why your business makes newly hired employees sign that terrible no-compete clause.

Managers are going to continue to leave if keep treating them this way.

Start paying your employees like you want them to stay.

2. Store manager

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Located in smaller communities, great opportunity for advancement. Fun environment, quality products. Good benefits and insurance

Cons

Company may actually be growing to fast.

3. Head Coach

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yulee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yulee, FL

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers. Awesome company to work for.

Cons

Retail hours can be difficult with a growing family.

5. team member

Current Employee - Team Member in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule, sports theme, easy to gain knowledge in retail and sports industry. Management is very helpful and able to work with employees schedules.

Cons

Monotonous tasks, sometimes there are not enough hours to work during the week, unecessary changing of merchandise and sales, needs better deals to draw more customers.

Advice to Management

Needs better deals to draw more customers.

6. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy money. great co workers. flexible scheduling. 25% discount

Cons

terrible customers, boring job, only get 30 minute breaks no matter how long the shift.

7. assistant manager

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time

Pros

Discount were nice to have

Cons

Lack of inventory from corporate

Advice to Management

Get the stores what they need

8. Poor Company with poor incentive Structures

Current Employee - Team Player
    Current Employee - Team Player

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is a solid Employee Discount; it is a Clean Job, unlike fast food, manufacturing, etc. My location has good people, too. Flexible scheduling

Cons

poor pay; no autonomy as an associate; ridiculously inefficient; they expect you to have excellent salesmanship and professionalism, yet pay fast-food wages. Sales incentives are all giant pyramid schemes. Inconsistent hours for part time employees.

9. Great Enviroment

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They start higher than minimum wage, they work with college schedules. The discount is great as well.

Cons

Phone policy sucks. Your phone has to be locked in a drawer at the start of your shift

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I love it here

10. Ok

Current Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts and bonus....Hibbett sports is a decent company to work for starting out.

Cons

The only I probably didn't like we're the work hours...

Advice to Management

N/a

Easy retail job, slower paced than most other athletic/shoe based retailers

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Zephyrhills, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Zephyrhills, FL

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, %25 discount on all merchandise (including sale and clearance items), benefits available for full time employees, part time has flexible scheduling good for college kids. It's a job

Cons

Low pay, no commission or good incentives, depending on location store traffic can vary greatly: Some days we would do less than $300 in revenue. Management is a "good ole boys club" so don't expect to become a head manager unless someone dies or quits. Only 3 full time positions which don't provide much scheduling flexibility due the limited role of part time employees. Big box retail minus the big, company does no advertising so most of your friends will have never heard of it.

Advice to Management

Advertise, quit buying the ugliest shoes from your vendors just because the margins are higher, DM's need to focus more on making sure store managers are up to par as most of them do nothing but ride the clock for hours before the store opens to meet time requirements, give part timers more responsibility (can't do returns or lay a way), get better uniforms and name tags, most locations outside Alabama are in more rural parts of town, store managers should be reaching out to the communities and schools to boost team equipment sales, not stealing non-commissioned sales from their employees to boost their weekly numbers... That don't affect their pay in any way shape or form.

RSS Feed </> Embed