Hibbett Sports Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
127 reviews filtered by

1. Good stepping stone for experience

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Schedule flexibility. Vacation and benifits.

Cons

48 hours a week. Grueling hours with bare bone staff.

2. It's ok

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Typical Retail position minus the commission (which is a plus)

Cons

Behind the curve in comparison to many other similar stores.

Worst decision I've ever made - Corporate is a mess.

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

The people in the merchandising department are kind and likable for the most part. I had a chair and a desk.

Cons

My first year at Hibbett I got five, yes FIVE whole vacation days and NO sick days. Did I mention you also do not get paid holidays.

When the snow storm hit and the office closed I was also not paid for those days, although it was not my choice to not come in. They wouldn't offer 'hazard pay.'

There are no 'perks' of working here. They say your salary is X, but with bonuses its X++. That is a blatant lie, once in a blue moon you might bonus after years of service. Oh, but don't forget to factor in your $25 Christmas bonus. < No that's not a joke.

If you have kids, you can get away with anything. Leaving early, coming in late, doesn't matter. If you don't, you have to play 20 questions just to take a step towards the door. People also bring their kids to work, so its more of a daycare than a business.

Management is an absolute mess. Its embarrassing. The communication, or lack thereof, in this 'business' is borderline asinine. No one knows what is going on, no one can find someone who does. It's like chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Training - There isn't any. There isn't even a training manual. You basically sit with other people and learn how they do things. The problem is, that person has only been taught one way because of the way they were taught, because of the way the person who taught them was taught. There is no uniformity. Everyone does their own thing their own way and basically you get lucky by who you sit with. One person might have a really good way of doing something and one person might be doing it a really difficult way, but you'd never know because there's no training manual for anything.

This retail company doesn't have e-commerce. Therefore, they never make sales goals. Therefore, no one bonuses. They also don't have the infrastructure to support e-commerce. So even if it did happen, it wouldn't be for a very long time because the new distribution center they spent all their money building, is not equipped for e-commerce. They tell you when you interview that you base salary is X but you will bonus making it X++. That is an outright and blatant lie. You've been forewarned.

The worst part of the year I wasted at Hibbett: I learned absolutely nothing. Not one thing. After an entire year I have zero applicable knowledge I can take with me elsewhere. If a company happens to run on the same outdated operating system well surely then I'll be in luck. However, the likelihood of that happening is nonexistent. That is the most frustrating part of working here, I have learned nothing. I have not grown professionally in any way, shape or form. The only thing Hibbett taught me is everything I don't want in a company.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Train people properly. Stop lying to your employees. Start moving toward e-commerce at a more rapid pace, not the aged snails pace you're working on. This is something that should've been done nearly a decade ago.

5. Overall not bad

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits for full time employees

Cons

Weird holiday hours and on your feet a lot

6. I enjoyed my time I worked there.

Former Employee - Team Player in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Team Player in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like sports and want a job for a little extra money this is great for you.

Cons

Holidays can be busy at times like everywhere else. It's aggravating keeping everything organized when people just throw items anywhere.

Good company to work for, pays very poorly though

Current Employee - Assistant Coach
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is great about the company. The people I work with are great, the retail style is awesome, I had great hours, and there was plenty of career advancement opportunity

Cons

They pay very very very poorly. I did work that most people would get paid probably $6-$8/hr more for. Made the job unbearable.

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees that they are valuable, then pay them like they aren't. We know that you don't actually believe we are valuable because of how you pay us.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Assist Coach in Ada, OK
    Current Employee - Assist Coach in Ada, OK

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working as an Assistant Manager at Hibbett Sports. Everyday had something different

Cons

You would have better reliable employees if pay was better. Managers also is only $9.5 0 hr. A Receptionist gets better han that

Advice to Management

Better pay to employees

Company is going under

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only real pro is your discount. The pay is bad the work is bad. You could sit there a full 8 hours and not have 1 customer

Cons

Pay, management, overall just a mediocre ran company, they want you to sell and push products but off ZERO commission.

10. Overall great experience.

Current Employee - Team Player
    Current Employee - Team Player

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in a store of a lot of young people so the manager knows how to work with school schedules. Awesome discounts on north face, underarmour, columbia etc.

Cons

Can be very boring when slow. All the cons of retail

Advice to Management

Higher pay.

Overwork, underpaid!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount
    Opportunity to move up in stores
    Starter or first time job only
    Hours are decent

Cons

Forced to sell certain products
    Horrible upper management
    Extremely underpaid
    Unrealistic sales goals
    Unruly customers
    Technology used in stores is from the early 90's making it difficult to complete sales

Advice to Management

Give more of a voice to those making the sales. Step into this century and bring up the technology so you can compete with big box stores.