Hibbett Sports Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A great job if you're a sports fan and don't want a life.

Former Employee - Store Manager/Head Coach in Fairview Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager/Head Coach in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people grow and seeing kids get the right equipment. Concept of a successful company was great.

Cons

If you want to be unappreciated or under paid this is your job.

Advice to Management

if you don't want to move up and want a basic job to put under your job, this is the place for you.

2. Head Coach

Former Employee - Head Coach in Okmulgee, OK
    Former Employee - Head Coach in Okmulgee, OK

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy simple work. Good training.

Cons

Pay was low compared to how much the company makes. Have to work most holidays.

3. Could be better

Current Employee - Assistant Coach
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Great job to have if you like people and don't like the Walmart crowd.

Cons

Pay is far below what it should be.

Advice to Management

salary across the board should be increased.

5. n/a

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

It was a very great company to work for

Cons

The pay is a little lower than what I thought

Advice to Management

n/a

6. Keep your head down, get the experience while in school for extra cash, then run.

Former Employee - Assistant Coach
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are typically fun and energetic. It's a fun job for high school and college students.

Cons

-Poorly trained Head Coaches -Money hungry company. Was told I would never make more than 9.99/hr working there unless I was a head manager. -As an assistant I was only "guaranteed" an "average" of 30 hours a week and made 8.75. -Assistants (not just me in particular) are overworked and generally do the majority of the store management, because head manager can do nothing and receive the credit. -Head Coaches receive bonuses monthly for working staff less hours and bringing in more money (or that's what my awful HC told me) which leaves a slim staff for larger stores. -So much overturn in staff, because of low pay, I spent most of my time training people and had no experienced workers to help me run the store. -DMs are aware... which made the experience even more unbearable. (When your DM begs you not to quit you know there is little confidence in the HC..... yet they do it anyway... hmmm) -Even 1% commission would be nice, we know you're overcharging people anyway... Personal experience: my HC said "I like to hire good looking people. I want a good looking team." We looked good.... but pretty doesn't always make you the ideal candidate. We had a complete staff overturn within 3 months... it was a disaster and I was the only experienced employee under this awful lady. After not getting paid for nearly 20 hours and being lectured and insulted by my HC when I urged other employees to check their paychecks for mistakes I quit on the spot... never went back. Apparently she was aware of the issue before I informed her.... guess someone was had their eyes on that bonus.

Advice to Management

Figure out who is running your stores. Pay a living wage if you want growth. I sold over $300,000 alone in my 18 months, not one bonus...

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Team Player in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Player in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Discount comes in handy and some regular customers are very nice. Nothing else . Just regular company.

Cons

Rude management. No room for advancements. No bonuses or incentives gor up selling. No hours given and low pay

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with better respect and listen to them.

8. hibbett sports

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

flexible schedule small town customers

Cons

management, low pay, outdated technology and policies

Advice to Management

upgrade and review policies, work to make the work place more enjoyable and less toxic.

9. It's Ok But Changes Needed

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

The people are generally good from the rookies to my DM Working around sports Laid back Easy work

Cons

HIGH turnover rate due to low pay HC tends to not do too much but is great at taking credit for anything and everything A lot of down time where you don't have much to do Bad selection of merchandise

Advice to Management

Send your stores merchandise they need and would sell Update technology Check in on HCs more they tend to sit in the back and let other employees do worl

I worked at Hibbetts for two weeks...

Former Employee - Rookie in Monroe, GA
    Former Employee - Rookie in Monroe, GA

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Employee discount (25%) was decent but needed because most everything in the store is priced about twice what it should be. Pretty low key place to work. No major pressure. Nice people to work with and positive atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay. I was almost embarrassed to sell their products because everything is "double priced". For example, heel inserts were about 18 dollars. Socks were $10. Shoes that were $125 probably should have been priced at 60-65 bucks. I hated the suggestive selling approach that they push so hard. I'm thinking that actually drives customers away. Most customers come in to by a product and leave--they don't want to be asked two or three times about buying some overpriced shoe cleaner. If the shoe cleaner was priced reasonably, they might sell a lot more of them. They don't use technology to their advantage. Most of the sales reports prepared by management are produced manually. The payroll is even prepared manually.. This is the way people did things in the 70's or 80's but it's 2014! Management doesn't keep their folks in the loop. Somebody asked me what type of sales we had for Black Friday and I didn't know. When I asked the managers, they laughed and said that Hibbets doesn't have any sales. How can they continue to compete with this approach? Let's hope they figure it out. My heart goes out to the kids that work so hard there for about 8 bucks an hour. It's sad because we know the company is making millions and I guess that's one reason why they are making so much. They are doing it on the backs of a lot of college kids. Sort of sad.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Walmart even pays better now. Keep employees in the loop. Upgrade your technology. Provide some incentives/commissions for sales. Stop all the suggestive selling nonsense. People hate that and you can tell. Spend a little money on advertising. Have some sales. Participate in Black Friday. Make your prices more competitive. Sometimes no one would be in the store and it's not hard to figure out why. Crazy prices on your products. I saw a wallet in the store for something like 45 dollars. You have to be kidding! I felt sorry for our manager--48 hour weeks and one week of vacation a year. That's terrible. The assistant managers also work their butts off for about 9 bucks an hour.

Opportunities through sacrifice

I worked at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Basic Summery Hibbett Sports is a company based in Alabama that has expanded to 38 states within about the last 40 to 50 years. Their strategy is to offer market specific, high end products in market areas that do not or cannot support other major sporting goods providers. They have a blue water strategy so to speak. They rely heavily on a minimum wage work force who are over 18 years of age. Opportunities to move up are available as they prefer to promote from within, but are somewhat limited due to the small-ish size of the corporate operation. Ranging from associate to store manager, the pay is poor but adequate to the actual work load, paying part-time minimum wage to 28K (this last figure is well above what typical mangers earn due to the bonuses which resulted from the high level of products sold, and please bear in mind that that was one of the highest grossing stores in the country). The interview process was simple. The store manager position was in flux, so I was contacted and interviewed by the regional manager. We set up a time, and after what I would consider to be a basic question answer interview, lasting 45 min, I was told I would hear about the position by the start of the following week. I was contacted the following week and was offered the job. As a store manager/coach or an assistant manager/coach-in-training you are expected to work 48 hrs a week. Fairly enough, the 8 hours over 40 is time and one half. However, in my experience most store managers worked 60-80 hrs a week. There are several reasons for this. First, due to the low but adequate pay, the positions of the associates are constantly in flux. It is Hibbett policy to interview 3 to 5 people per week, even when there is no job positions available so that when (definitely not if) someone is fired the position can be staffed quickly. Thus they typically have a sign saying “Now Hiring”. Second, the blue water strategy tends to place a store in areas where the populations are of low or very low socioeconomic status. This is where your customers come from; this is where your employees come from. Trust is the leading problem. Additionally, these locations are typically in fringe areas with higher crime rates. Nothing ever happened to me or my property, but I did not feel safe leaving work after dark.

Cons

Now I will say that you do not have to work here if any of the preceding statements bother you. But if you are willing to bleed company colors and work hard, you can move up into corporate and do quite well. However, I have one final criticism that was the direct reason for my departure from this company. And while this affects every class and type of peoples in one way or another, and while Hibbetts is not alone in providing this same destitution as are Footlocker, Finish Line, and any other “urban styles” store, I saw it with my own eyes at Hibbett Sports. Shoes. Yes, shoes, those things you wear on your feet. On a Black Friday, the craziest day of the year for shopping, I watched as dozens of people were sprayed at with mace by security personnel that had been hired by the shopping area to maintain order. People were mad, people where crying (and not just because they had been maced), people were being withheld from purchasing that one thing they wanted most for themselves, their significant others, their children. Shoes, special release Air Jordan – the most prevalently sought after, Nike Air, Adidas, and Ralph Lauren Polo. People are whipped into fervor to acquire these shoes. Please bear in mind that they are of a modest construction, offer little functionality, and are essentially worn only for the style- and once they have been dirtied or scuffed, they lose all social credibility. After witnessing the fervor of greed which almost completely surrounded these name brand shoes time and again, I am convinced that these products are hurting poor communities, essentially upholding a system that is a social and economic drain. And due to the amount of pain that I witnessed, I could not in good conscious work there supporting such a sick system where everyone involved is at fault. As I sit here writing this; I am forced to recall many things I witnessed which have cast so much doubt and despair upon me. Some of you reading this may think that I am over stating a situation or that I saw an isolated incident; but I am resolute that this has been a common happening. It is now my understanding that these stores have taken great efforts to end this kind of mob fervor by issuing tickets, sometimes by lottery, days before the release and that this has led to a more controlled situation.

Advice to Management

Your company operates in a precarious environment. I will say congratulations on getting the fervor for shoes organized. That has helped many people I know who still work there. In addition, the managers were always very fair in the activities and judgments, but there needs to be better communication between the staffers and the managers. I understand with constant turnover this is a challenge and I wish you good luck.

RSS Feed </> Embed