Hibbett Sports Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
124 reviews filtered by

1. Great Experience

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time

Pros

Great team environment, potential for growth, focus on customers.

Cons

Low pay, management does not listen as much as they should, policies are outdated.

Mediocre company at best.

Former Employee - Team Player
    Former Employee - Team Player

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is decent, 25% off of your whole purchase.
    You also have a somewhat flexible schedule (there is a caveat though).
    Results may vary, but my coworkers and managers were super nice.
     It’s not bad place to work if you are über enthusiastic about sports, and no drug tests are required to get hired.

Cons

Besides the typical ailments of a retail job…
    Hibbetts is extremely outdated with their technology. Slow is an understatement with their registers. Their inventory tracking program is also lackluster. Whenever an item sells well, it hardly ever restocks that item, and if it does it takes months to restock on that item.
    The pay is (not surprisingly) awful. Don’t ever expect to see a double digit wage unless you are the head manager. Raises are annual or along with promotions, and unless your store is selling product like hotcakes, the annual raise is iffy.
    Your schedule is never regular. All hours are irregular, your days are inconsistent, and your shifts are always different (for no real reason, either). You’ll never be able to plan anything more than 2 weeks in advance with friends or family. You also work every weekend. I almost forgot what 2 consecutive days off felt like.
    Along with pay, the benefits are mediocre as well. No benefits until 1 year after you reach full time status.
    Don’t expect to get past “Team Player” for a long time. The only way you’re getting a promotion after that is if someone leaves. You will literally never get promoted if your manager doesn’t like you because it is up to them to get approval for your promotion. I would not want the Head Coach’s (head manager) job anyways. 48 hours a week on salary and 1 week of vacation per year.
    Once hired, your training is minimal (if any). You’re given a book that will quiz you on 20+ year old, outdated sales tactics and nonsense policies.
    They want you to sell like a commissioned salesman on an hourly wage. There is no incentive or motivation to sell more. They push silly add on sales like insoles and socks with every shoe sale when they aren’t necessary; adding new people to the MVP rewards because Hibbetts is too cheap to advertise; and there are unrealistic quotas to meet on selling insoles, aerosols, and adding new MVP customers. You’re measured by how much useless product you can add on per sale.
    They have awful priorities. They would rather update a minuscule dress code policy than updating their prehistoric sales tactics.
    And finally, referring to the caveat of a flexible schedule, the schedule is only flexible half of the year. January through May is the only acceptable time you can attend school, or whatever it is you need to do. June through September? No days off because of back to school sales and 4th of July. November and December? Black Friday and Christmas. You’re not allowed any scheduled days off through the busy months. You’re open 363 days a year (the only given are Easter and Christmas) with no sick days either. If no one wants to help you out/cover your shift and you are bleeding from all of your orifices, you are just out of luck.

Quit being so cheap. Update your computers, your inventory programs, and actually install cameras to catch thieves. Reward your good salespeople so there is incentive to try harder. We’re in the 21st century; start advertising your business and products for goodness sake instead of relying on your underappreciated employees to keep bringing existing customers back. You can have the best business in the world, but no one will buy from you if they don’t know you exist.

3. CIT

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Searcy, AR
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Searcy, AR

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good resume booster. Fun working with a team. Great to be around sports.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Basically minimum wage

Pay management better and you will keep the best people in your stores.

5. Generally a good job with advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Coach) in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Coach) in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not a great deal of pressure to pass sales goals. Hours aren't cut or anything like that, but rather it's treated as more of a friendly competition. Full-time receive a choice of different benefit packages (i.e. health, dental & visual). Also, store discount and sales contests can get you hooked up with free/cheap stuff.

Cons

Managers hours are definitely too extreme for the amount of compensation. So, while there is opportunity for advancement, you'll have to spend at least some time (over a year for sure) as a Head Manager and those hours are grueling.

Aim higher than this for a career

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saraland, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saraland, AL

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work, air conditioned. When I interviewed for the job, my boss actually said, "a monkey could do it."

Cons

Management is completely unreasonable, the pay is depressing, yet they want store managers to work as if it is not. If you are a store manager, there is nobody to replace you in the event of an emergency. I had to take a sick child to work once

Be realistic about the job you are paying people to do.

7. It is a very friendly and driven company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Easley, SC

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the environment is great. customers are usually very friends, tons of regulars that you can get to know one on one. vacation time and days off

Cons

pay isn't as good as i would like it to be

i was part of upper management and it was great

8. Taught me a lot as a professional...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Russellville, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Russellville, AR

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth, sales, organization, leadership, lots of human interaction. I worked here while in college and it was great. They worked around my classes and i enjoyed the experience. I loved the people i worked with and I enjoyed interacting with tons of customers throughout the day. If you like sports and you like people, you would like this job.

Cons

random hours, low pay. There were a few cons. If you weren't the manager, you didn't get paid hardly anything. Also, the hours varied weekly and it wasn't always necessarily easy to get off for something if you had to. Probably the biggest con is that there isn't any commission. You sell, sell, sell, and the manager encourages you to, but he's the only one that gets fiscally rewarded for that. You get your name on a sheet of paper at the end of the pay period saying you were the best salesman, but that's it.

Give commission to your employees. It could be minimal, but at least they would be motivated to work harder and be rewarded for it.

Little opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Team Captain in Warner Robins, GA
    Current Employee - Team Captain in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-retail experience
    - work with district manager all the way to Rookies

Cons

-weak pay
    -little flexibility
    -little-no opportunity for growth

10. Good experience

I have been working at Hibbett Sports

Pros

Easy going, easy to learn products and meet with a lot of fun people.

Cons

Don't move up in the company, don't expect a raise.

Store management is fine, corporate needs to be less stingy with their salaries

Hibbett Sports Review

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules for employees who are working through college. Hibbett Sports teaches their employees how to act towards a customer, and management emphasizes it daily.

Cons

Hibbett Sports pays their employees minimum wage, which is basically saying "I would pay you less if I could". Assistant coaches only received a $1 raise. No commission for non Head Coaches.

Invest in technology--new register software, updated website, new transferring processes. Your employees are an investment, treat them like it.