High Point Treatment Center

Daniel S. Mumbauer

Interesting

Former Employee - Recovery Specialist in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Recovery Specialist in New Bedford, MA

I worked at High Point Treatment Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to understand addictions

Cons

No Organization .....no Full time work...no benefits...

Review all your sites

Loved my work...not my employer

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at High Point Treatment Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The rewards of the nature of the job
    My co workers -depending on how stressed they were from trying to stuff 10 lbs of sand into the 5 lb bag.

Cons

pay is terrible
    no support
    priorities of management is insurance coverage
    do everything fast and do not make a mistake in a chaotic out of control environment.
    short staff/ difficult to get time off without putting more stress on co workers
    schedule did not come out til a day or two before it began.
    unsafe and overworked, underpaid, unappreciated.

Run the facility the way it was designed to run and the rate of saving lives and women getting recovery would skyrocket. A 90 day program should not have an average stay of 19 -27 days. The clients return and it is more difficult to get coverage. There is a large demand for recovery, the beds will get filled, as evidence by the fact women are being sent to jail to wait for a bed.

stressful, fast paced.

Current Employee - Masters Level Clinician in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Masters Level Clinician in Brockton, MA

Pros

I love the work with the clients and my co workers. health benefits are good. great learning experience

Cons

misled during interview as to days off and policies of agency. was promised supervision towards my license which took 5 months to secure since my clinical director/supervisor was not qualified . low pay and micro management by clinical director. pits staff against each other. 100 % of the clinical staff is seeking other work. filing a grievance brings retaliation.

in ten months I saw a 90% turnover due to poor management and supervision on the unit level. pay more attention to quality staff than the bottom line. replace ineffective supervisors/directors with poor retention rates

Something is seriously wrong with this agency

Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at High Point Treatment Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Developed some great relationships with co-workers, increased knowledge of addiction/psychiatric illness, working with people

Cons

TERRIBLE pay- I am college educated and have almost completed a graduate degree. I make less than the average salary for an individual with ONLY a high school diploma in the state of MA. New employees with little to no experience / less education have been hired at a higher rate of pay than those that have been there longer with more experience/education. Required to be a salaried employee, even though it is often necessary to stay late to finish the required work. Unwilling to pay employees overtime. There is a VERY high turnover rate for staff, including managers. Limited support from management to address staff concerns or problems. Unsafe working environment at times due to being understaffed, patients under the influence of illicit drugs, no security.

You are losing quality employees. Patient care suffers when your strongest staff members move on to other facilities with better pay and more professional working environment. Employee satisfaction increases productivity. Having qualified, competent employees may require an increase in pay, but overall will make for a more successful, safer treatment experience. More support from management and upper management may also help to improve employee satisfaction.

We intentioned but not well actualized

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

Pros

Commitment to serving people with addiction

Cons

Executive management can play games and hurt their staff.

Stop pitting staff against each other.

Another Lesson Learned

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Brockton, MA

I worked at High Point Treatment Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can think of very few pros. Helping clients that truly needed it and advocating for their needs was rewarding.

Cons

Poor management. Mismanagement. Low pay. Horrible benefits. Low staff morale. This place (Brockton Campus) is barely up to fire code. Clients are given horrible accomodations. They are over the DPH bed-limit by putting cots in every room. There is not enough medical equipment to properly care for the clients in detox. The place is short-staffed and there is minimal flexibility with your schedule.

Communicate with staff openly, not critically. Don't set unrealistic expectations and acknowledge their hard work.

A lesson learned

Former Employee - Clinician
    Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at High Point Treatment Center

Pros

I had a good immediate supervisor

Cons

Upper management has some odd expectations of line staff as well as a general disregard for suggestions to improve services. High staff turnover rate.

Clinician's ability to bill for services brings in money to the agency. However without some team work and some changes the no show rate will always be high and thus creating a financial issue. High staff turn over brings mistrust from clients about the ability of the agency to assist them as well as creating undue chaos within the work environment.

A great deal of paperwork, little opportunity for personal growth, terrible benefits, very low pay and a lot of stress.

I have been working at High Point Treatment Center

Pros

Helping individuals in need is very satisfying.
    My co-workers are awesome, great group of people.
    I'm always busy, multi-tasking to the max, I never look at my watch and think the day is dragging by.

Cons

Management likes to claim we are a "non-profit" thus we have no supplies, very low salaries, and the clients' accomodations are terrible. I've worked in non-profit my whole like and I feel it is mismanagement, not "non-profit" that is the cause of the terrible working conditions. There is very low moral, no communication from upper management, and no acknowledgement for hard work and accomplishments.

Higher salaries, more employee recognition, better communication, more opportinites for staff to share ideas and voice complaints- with resolution- not just lip service. Healthier physical environment, i.e. old carpeting removed, replace heating system, smoking areas at least 50 feet from building as stated in employee handbook.