High Point University
www.highpoint.edu High Point, NC 500 to 999 Employees

High Point University Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Admissions Counselor

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at High Point University full-time

ProsGreat perks of traveling is that you can keep your hotel, rental car, & airline points. Have the opportunity to visit places you would not have gone to otherwise. If you are a graduate of the school, it is easy to talk about and connect with students.

ConsCan have poor communication within the office. They are attempting to work on that and are improving on office morale. The group of people I work with now are the best we've ever had in this office.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude communication earlier to your staff so we can relay that message to our students.

A place to start

I worked at High Point University full-time

ProsRoom to act, Nice, safe facilities, great place to be a student. Middle management tries their best.

ConsNot always the healthiest work environment do too a superficial emphasis on appearances and not depth and integrity, but this may have changed

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and pay attention Encourage an atmosphere of respect from the lowest person to the highest person on campus

Great benefits, demanding job

I worked at High Point University

ProsWonderful people, great benefits, lots of room for growth

ConsDemanding work environment, lots of turnover

Sad to leave. But I had to go.

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at High Point University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe ability to grow within an organization, is an environment I THRIVE in. At High Point University that is the exact work environment I was a part of. Unfortunately my significant other got accepted to Law School in another state, so we had to move. I am currently looking for a job, but not in Higher Education because I KNOW that it won't be anything like High Point University! The way the President is hands on with all of the projects within the University is unreal, I am not quite sure the man is human. President Qubein is an Extraordinary Leader for all of High Point. I was just glad to be a part of it. At High Point I felt like I was part of a family, and more importantly a team with one goal...the students.

ConsThe only con...is if you can't keep up in the fast paced environment that is and makes High Point University the Higher Education institution that it is today!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to ask for help, there are plenty of offices and resources that are available, you just have to know who to ask.

The Grass Isn't Greener! I want to go back to HPU

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at High Point University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe clear mission to help students succeed. the environment. the faculty and staff. the students. the cultural events. the basketball games. the president's talks. nice gifts employees receive

Conssometimes parking. being on call for possible technical issues. periods of extreme business

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to listen to worker issues. You made my department better before I left (i left because my wife got a job in DC). But I want to come back!!

teach student Chinese and Math

I have been working at High Point University part-time for more than a year

ProsGood environment to work, nice people, good training, nice student, good pay, know how to get along with people.

ConsThere is no cons to work in here. The only thing I want say about is the student sometimes not show up or they not corporate with you.

it is ok

Security (Current Employee)

I have been working at High Point University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosit has good benefits and bounus

Consupper management likes to micro manage

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure you make any idea are keep to your self

Progressive University for the Progressive Minded

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

I have been working at High Point University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo red tape to slow down the implentation of ideas. My dean is supportive and the resources that surround faculty and students enrich the learning environment. Some of my "seasoned" colleagues might prefer the old liberal arts model, but I appreciate, and my advisees seem th thrive in, this campus of innovation. HPU should be featured in Fast Company. Our Provost promotes mentoring and collaborative learning approaches with our students. These are not only efffective teaching models, as an instructor, it is liberating to have the space to test new concepts.

Consnot enough opportunites for collaboration between faculty across disciplines - would like structure for departments to mingle more often

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on course. The new Health Science and Pharmacy programs seem to fit perfectly within the framework of purposeful, innovative courses of study.

Extraordinary

I worked at High Point University

ProsPositive workers in a great environment

ConsI can't think of any

Good for high performance academics who prefer innovation-action to faculty governance

Department Head (Current Employee)

I have been working at High Point University full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to make things happen and accomplish goals at rapid pace and without intense bueracracy. If you are interested in growth and continuous improvement, it's an amazing place to be. Incredible community support from business and local leaders. Culture is more private-corporate with high expectations for inventive, energetic leadership.

ConsCulture is more private-corporate, so faculty can feel as though they have little voice or control over their futures. There is often anxiety over student-parent interactions and intense burnout from heavy demands on personal time--mostly in recruiting efforts. Can be difficult for families. While requirement to publish is low-this can disadvantage an academic who invests so much in students there is little time or energy left for scholarship. If you are not a workaholic, HPU, or ACADEMIA may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better bridges between faculty and administration. Faculty would prefer being heard to getting gifts, although money certainly is appreciated! Seek greater faculty governance structures and value academic performance of students over luxury perks. We have amazing faculty and student-scholars -celebrate them frequently. Admin has improved in this area-a welcome change.

Worked for High Point University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at High Point University reviews and ratings. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by High Point University employees.