High Point University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
CEO

Great connections, but oblivious to reality

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at High Point University part-time

Pros

You are introduced to many connected people, though the promoted culture and high value system are not regularly practiced.

Cons

The school is a bit disconnected from reality. The grounds and facilities are beautiful, but money should be spent on less shallow expenditures such as scholarships.

Dante Would Feel Right at Home

Pros

Nice tee shirt, sweatshirt and a big purple plastic mug

Cons

Great interviews, welcoming atmosphere and attitude that vanished the minute I arrived for work on Day 1 - HR staff repeatedly lost paperwork and were unable to answer key questions I had with regard to benefits; the assurance and 'helpful' attitude vanished after my 'new hire tour' - everything felt like a 'con' - a huge show to reel us in - the reality of working at HPU if you are under a certain level is that the "Big Family" atmosphere is a sham. I had fifteen years with an internationally recognized institution of higher learning before HPU began courting me - I walked out after two weeks. I had dismissed the friendly advice of friends and family but have to admit they were correct in their assessment - HPU is a playground for wealthy children who don't want to be too burdened with difficult coursework. The facilities are fabulous and so is the hype. I'm certain there are good, hardworking students and faculty at HPU but my observance of the "Country Club" atmosphere and the treatment of all but the upper echelon staff as 'menials' left an absolutely foul impression. Turnover is unbelievable and with good reason.

Advice to Management

I fail to see how it would have any efficacy as I was simply a very minor player. From what I gleaned from my higher ups, "Management" cares only about gilding the lily. They make make the covers of all the right publications but the word of the 'people' - as in neighbors and associates in the area - very few families from this area send their children to HPU - hmmmm.....food for thought. Morale couldn't be lower if it happened to dig its way to China.

Faculty Applicants Beware

Former Employee - Faculty Member in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Faculty Member in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus; Lots of perks including free gifts such as iPads, Go-Pro cameras, bonus checks, and free steak dinners; fantastic colleagues at the departmental level; health care, vision, dental and other benefits; generous match on retirement plan; professional development funds available

Cons

Micromanaging deans; unreasonable expectation to pass students who are unable to master course materials; contractual obligation to be on campus 5 days a week; administration values teaching and university service over research and other scholarly activities; criticism of the school, administration or any other aspect of the institution is seen as "insubordination" and individuals who express opinions contrary to the administration will experience reprisals; faculty are expected to follow "customer service" model, attend admissions open houses and are required to be on campus for Saturday scholarship interviews; Faculty pressured to help move freshmen into dorms; FERPA forms allow parents to call faculty whenever they feel like it (I felt more like an elementary school teacher than a professor); President promises parents "we will take care of your children"; salary is below national and state averages across the board; pressure from administration to live in the city of High Point; pressure to contribute to United Way; focus is on retention rather than education.

Advice to Management

Stop the FERPA nonsense, let the students move themselves into their dorms and let faculty do their jobs; limit time in position of chairs, deans and others to 5 years maximum; pay faculty and staff competitive salaries.

5. Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Complimentary room & board, $390 a month, single room, meet lots of people (residents, and fellow RAs), good work experience

Cons

Lots of poorly planned training sessions, hard to have a social life, inconsistent Resident Directors, usually had a negative misrepresentation, seemed like we dealt with more student problems than security did.

Advice to Management

Build better lasting relationships with your RAs we do everything for you!

6. good place to grow

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks, bonuses.. fun place to work and a young environment.

Cons

staff are treated as 2nd class citizens in comparison to faculty, low pay

Beautiful Campus; that's about it.

Former Employee - Chemistry Lecturer in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Chemistry Lecturer in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice looking campus, and there are many decent teachers and instructors. The students were nice, and I got the best student reviews in the department, even though, as an adjunct, most of the tenure track people wouldn't give me the time of day.

Cons

I worked as a chemistry teacher. The chemistry department is worse than you'd see in a poor third world country. The new head of the department is a physicist, with scant knowledge of chemistry. There is NO modern equipment. I told the head of the department that the condition of the department "bordered on fraud". He didn't disagree. This place is a mess, and a massive waste of time and money. HPU is a pretty cake with lots of frosting. The administration is nasty, tightfisted, authoritarian, and clueless. I am embarrassed for having been a part of this debacle.

Advice to Management

I doubt that management would listen to anyone who isn't part of the inner circle. I'd start by firing the utterly useless provost and dean of arts and sciences. And start funding academics, instead of building more Disneyland fluff.

8. Departmental student jobs

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at High Point University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and usually nice bosses

Cons

Not offered enough hours to make working worth it

Terrible place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at High Point University (More than a year)

Pros

There are not pros to working for them.

Cons

They do not value anything but money

Advice to Management

Do better, much much better

It depends on what you are looking for in a job

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a beautiful campus and great atmosphere when the students are on there.

Cons

During the interview and hiring process many promises were made. Make sure you request these in writing as they did not honor what they told me during the interview.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. The only reason there is not a great turnover is the job market is still tight in the area. Once it picks up then all those promises that were not kept will not matter as their will be a constant flow at the exit door.

Culture - Words vs Behaviors

Current Employee - Professional Staff in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Professional Staff in High Point, NC

Pros

Beautiful surroundings and an educated workforce.

Cons

Family values and work life balance preached, but not practiced.

Advice to Management

Be certain that the values you preach, those that draw folks to the workplace, are understood and reflected by folks in the highest levels of leadership. Very disappointing.

RSS Feed </> Embed