HighJump

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.1

Michael Cornell

Fast paced company, respectful employer, but perhaps too demanding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HighJump full-time

Pros

integrity, team collaboration, knowledgeable resources, friendly co-workers and management. As a company, they certainly are growing and have a bright future. High work/life balance when applicable.

Cons

Compensation is fair, to the position description, but employees occasionally felt over-worked and "expected" to work long hours depending on project cycle stance. Also, depending on position, limited mobility for career path flexibility.

Senior management does care about employees. Meetings were well run, company appears well organized and well positioned in the market to continue fostering growth. However, may be spread to thin to listen to employees or find time.

Chaotic PSD Department led by middle management with LARGE X's

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at HighJump full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Company does a wonderful job of including employees on direction and outcomes

Cons

PSD Group
    Unrealistic communication expectations
    Old Boys Club
    Resource management is non-existent.

Refurbish/overhaul PSD top to bottom. Employ and engage a true leader with ability to work with all individuals.
    Analyze correlation between additional work and additional resources and see what happens to turnover. Losing employees monthly and not having a plan for onboarding only harms current employees and the vicious cycle will repeat. It's great that you have a handful that have been there...but, unfortunately they're also some of the most avid proponents of a better onboarding process and largest dissenters against current leadership at various departments.

Great place to learn and grow as an IT professional

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at HighJump full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to multiple companies and industries. Opportunity to learn from other IT professionals while providing custom solutions.

Cons

None at this time to submit.

No where to advance

Current Employee - Advisory Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Advisory Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at HighJump

Pros

Was fun until I wanted to travel less. Then I became stuck in a job with no advancement opportunities. Many cliques.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, no management support, manager would talk in circles for hours with no decisions.

High pressure and High energy environment

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at HighJump

Pros

I loved my job profile and the opportunity to go meet different clients - which expanded my horizons and my domain knowledge quite a bit.

Cons

Travel can get crazy and the constant pressure to keep the billing percentile can sometimes make people do things that they wouldn't do otherwise.

Good luck in your decisions and the goals that you are pursuing - sometimes a radical change can be good but you do lose some quality people.

We're all on the same team - I think........

Former Employee - Server Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Server Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at HighJump

Pros

Co-workers within my department worked well to ship out product, and when I needed help they were always willing to be there.

Cons

Projects were not sold properly by account reps. It was basically an open SOW for most projects. Promise everything for the customer, instead of under promise and over deliver. Once a Server Specialist is on the ground at a customer site getting support from most developers including seniors was very difficult. The service desk would email you examples on how to resolve instead of working with you on an issue. It also seemed like high school in some respects between hr and the marketing folks.. It was also funny when 3m would come down from their palace to tell everyone you're doing a great job - oh and who are you again.....

Do not over promise everything to customers, to get the deal done.

Dreams and sweat can make a company worth acquisition, but the those that dream and sweat that will not be rewarded.

Former Employee - Web Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Web Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HighJump

Pros

None, currently. While the computer used to be an exciting place to work, recent lay-offs and a change in business strategy have put many employees in constant angst over the long term existence of their careers there.

Cons

Recently purchased by Battery Ventures, HighJump has changed its very reason for being, turning suddenly from a business that aimed for a complete supply-chain entry into enterprise applications, the company is now doing nearly no in-house development and is instead purchasing other companies with a goal of then selling the company in a few years again for a profit.

Many talented developers are suddenly turned into technical support roles as there is almost no budget for "organic growth", that is, new software development, or addition of new features.

Balance your desire to add value to a company as an acquisition with the reality that you are dealing with real people who put the best of their pride into the very product you found valuable. There are certainly ways to increase the value, and much of it can be through acquisitions, but you purchased a company with talented staff in several offices who were part of the existing value, and they could have been enlisted to help you achieve your objectives by adding value through organic growth, while also integrating with new company acquisitions. It may have resulted in later returns, but it would also have resulted in a better product than what you will have.