Higher One

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Volchek

Horrible training for work at home agents.

Customer Care Agent (Former Employee)

ProsHiring process was seamless. Pay is pretty good for a virtual position.

ConsTRAIN employees with a mock system. You cannot expect us to take live calls and know what we are doing with the current training --which was just simply reading. "Training" was a pathetic joke. Trainers not very helpful when asking for help in chat. Training should be an online class, dialed in on a bridge line where we can talk and ask questions. I cannot express how stupid this training was.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour training for at home agents needs a total revamp.

The worst job ever. Incompetent, unethical and hypocrits in upper management - founders pushed out

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsI cannot think of one

ConsValues are a joke. Flexibility is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out in the real world. Get some real management and leadership experience.

NEED BETTER TRAINING!!!!

Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsWorking from home and having flexibility when time is need off or changed

ConsPay is not that great ...training is a joke.... the people that they have to help you with calls are that dependable..

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-vamp you whole operation from the bottom to the top. This is a company that could be great but it is mediocre . Better train ALL off your staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lies, lies, lies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsFree lunch, free parking and onsite fitness center

ConsA fabricated company culture, corrupt leadership team and constant lies to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Decent place but still needs work internally

Analyst (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

Pros- Catered lunches so you don't have to worry about getting your own
    - Co-workers are great to work with on projects and with teams
    - Good work environment, the building and space is nice

Cons- Once you put in your notice, the company treats you differently as if you're an outsider (even after you've put a lot of hard work on projects and done your best)
    - Internal politics that put certain Managers into positions where they will cover their tracks and put blame elsewhere
    - People won't take responsibility of their (poor and unpleasant ) work and will take recognition when they can get some

Advice to Senior ManagementHave internal checks and balances to combat any mismanagement

Good Experience

Home Based Customer Care Agent (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, PTO, 401K. Management worked with you as much of possible with schedule , Good pay for a work at home position.

ConsGreat caring company when It was private, As soon as it became public things started to change for the worst. No further to go once you work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. Answer or emails and concerns

Growing Pains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsGreat food and generous about PTO. Long timers care about the company as I do. You feel like you are in it together. Great team feeling. People treat each other with respect.

ConsThe company has transitioned from a energetic start-up to a corporate "bean counting" enterprise. The people who have been here long enough have seen a great place to work slowly go down hill. They hired C-levels and Managers who didn't understand the culture that the founders worked so hard to create and ultimately made the company successful. Yeah, they had a great idea, but without the culture this place would never have taken off the way it did. Sadly that culture is disappearing fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementCow is out of the barn at this point, but with new CEO hopefully things can get back to at least feeling good about this place again.

Great people

Home Based Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) Winsted, CT

Prosconvenient working form home and the training is ongoing. The company keeps you informed of changes.

ConsBecause it is a work from home position ,the pay isn't very high. Seasonal employees don't get benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider keeping some of your best home based agents year round , instead of having to hire every peak season.

Overall an ok company to work for, but training could be more thorough

Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood pay scale, get to work out of my home. Never have to work on weekends. Company will pay a portion of your phone bill each month.

ConsNo benefits because most jobs are seasonal part time. AFter working the first season, you are sometimes not allowed to have the same schedule as before. Problems with the software connections weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should not penalize employees for company's software/computer problems. Previous employees should have choice of schedule before new employees.

If you work at home....

Customer Care Agent (Current Employee)

ProsNice part time job that pays ok. Do not expect more than that or you will be very disappointed.

Work and Life balance is great. They are very willing to work around any time you need off.

ConsYour advancement opportunities for working at home are very limited. If you want to advance I would suggest that you work on site and not at home. I have worked here for over 5 years and they still only offer me 25-20 hours a week of work. There really is no full time available. Right now the company is run by the "bean counters" so make sure that you shovel those calls through as fast as possible. They expect about 10 calls per hour and have a lot of talking points to hit so this is not an easy job. They expect "one call resolution" and it is just about impossible to actually do.

Right now the refund business is not as robust as it once was. Less refunds are being given out and everyone is attempting to add other services that will take up the slack. Add to this that the last 2 founders are leaving this year. So there are a lot of changes going on that will affect how many hours we all work and the financial health of the company. Every day we get new directives. Change is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of only hearing from the managers when you make a mistake, how about giving us more "pats on the back" when we do something good. I agree that the training is very lacking and could use improvement.

Worked for Higher One? Contribute to the Community!