Higher One

Updated February 25, 2015
3.6

Mark Volchek

Run. Don't walk.

I have been working at Higher One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, amenities, parking, free lunch, free coffee every day saves me money

Cons

Culture is cut throat since new leadership arrived. Lack of communication. Unstable. Negative culture and terrible morale.

Fix morale. Employees (the good ones) are leaving constantly.

Worst job ever

I worked at Higher One

Pros

Good interview and nothing else. That is about it.

Cons

I send them paperwork to Human Resources. They say take it back to send it back to get notary and couldn't work start date. When I return it back to them again, they said job abandonment. They waste time giving the run around.I wasn't stressed over it. It was a waste of time and printing to send paperwork.

Human Resources need to communicate better to potential employees instead of giving them the run around.

Horrible training for work at home agents.

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent

I worked at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was seamless. Pay is pretty good for a virtual position.

Cons

TRAIN employees with a mock system. You cannot expect us to take live calls and know what we are doing with the current training --which was just simply reading. "Training" was a pathetic joke. Trainers not very helpful when asking for help in chat. Training should be an online class, dialed in on a bridge line where we can talk and ask questions. I cannot express how stupid this training was.

Your training for at home agents needs a total revamp.

The worst job ever. Incompetent, unethical and hypocrits in upper management - founders pushed out

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Higher One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of one

Cons

Values are a joke. Flexibility is a joke.

Go out in the real world. Get some real management and leadership experience.

NEED BETTER TRAINING!!!!

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in New Haven, CT

I worked at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working from home and having flexibility when time is need off or changed

Cons

Pay is not that great ...training is a joke.... the people that they have to help you with calls are that dependable..

Re-vamp you whole operation from the bottom to the top. This is a company that could be great but it is mediocre . Better train ALL off your staff.

Lies, lies, lies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Higher One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, free parking and onsite fitness center

Cons

A fabricated company culture, corrupt leadership team and constant lies to employees

Resign

Decent place but still needs work internally

Current Employee - Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Higher One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Catered lunches so you don't have to worry about getting your own
    - Co-workers are great to work with on projects and with teams
    - Good work environment, the building and space is nice

Cons

- Once you put in your notice, the company treats you differently as if you're an outsider (even after you've put a lot of hard work on projects and done your best)
    - Internal politics that put certain Managers into positions where they will cover their tracks and put blame elsewhere
    - People won't take responsibility of their (poor and unpleasant ) work and will take recognition when they can get some

Have internal checks and balances to combat any mismanagement

Good and Bad

I worked at Higher One

Pros

I think that the pay is good for staying home to work, and if you like to train basically on your own, you will like it. Not a lot of help from chat coaches. Have an outline to follow, but not a lot of structure. Could have a little more of a classroom setting so that there is someone there to explain things to you other than how to log in and out.

Cons

Think that the chat coaches could be a little more informative to the material and not just how to log in and out of systems. Don't plan on swaying from your schedule at all. It would also be nice to have a little time on phones before they cut you loose! And as far as phones, they need to have a system like a SIP phone or something that you can dial in on your computer. Land lines are not something everyone is interested in having anymore and the only way you can work for this company. Some of the people you talk with are very nice and others are young and just don't get it/1

I would definitely look into a secure server to connect everyone so that you don't have to have a land line. Please look at the people as employees and not just replaceable!

Seasonal Home Based Customer Care Agent

Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, support team, resources, flexibility. OK pay for what your doing.

Cons

Only twenty hours of training before you are put on the phones. Hours spent sitting and if you get up it impacts your adherence score.

For those on phones for hours on end I would suggest incorporating breaks so people can get up and stretch their legs.

The Higher One home-based job is a great place to work; opportunity to work from the comfort of your home.

Former Contractor - Home Based Customer Care Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Home Based Customer Care Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Higher One as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The corporate culture came across as each employee was helpful and accountable toward one another. Help and support was expected and embraced. The online training for home-based representatives was good, just a little disorganized but with some improvements can be made seamless.

Cons

The banking products are terrible. Most of the bad calls that came from the students were because they kept having to resubmit their identification documents over and over and over again before they could get access for their account and funds. This needs to be changed. Also, they need to do more support the training for new home-based hires that they already have instead of constantly rehiring and retraining new hires each peak season.

Stop touting that you have a great banking product for students. You do not. Charging them for replacement cards and certain transactions is ridiculous. Some of the fees you offer are actually predatory. Create a better way for students to submit their identification documents. CALL them if you receive illegible documents more than once instead of simply sticking them back into the system. They have enough frustrations ahead of them. Don't be the first source of it. Luckily, you hire agents who really do care and work to help students through what the agents know is really a hot mess.