Highgate Hotels

Updated February 10, 2015
Updated February 10, 2015
3.9

Steve Barick

This is a good company focused on customer service, the bottom line, and employee development.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No one looking over my shoulder. There is a trust by my manager to get things done. He does not have to tell me what to do or give me projects.
    There is a new focus on training of all team members and Managers to get to the next level.
    There is a good effort to have social bonding.

Cons

Approvals are slow. Pay is mediocre.

Stay focused on the staff/team members. Get to know them/interact with them.

Love it!

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I currently work for Highgate Hotels and I feel very strongly that Highgate Hotels is the best company that I have ever worked with. It's small enough where I don't just feel like a number, but large enough to feel like there will always be opportunities to advance. I like how there are so many different locations, sizes, brands, etc. It makes the company very diverse. It is also very interesting to know that Highgate Hotels has more hotel rooms in Manhattan than any other management company.

Cons

Even though it is a pro to have so many different sizes, brands, etc., this can also be a con. When trying to roll out programs and standards throughout the company, it can be very difficult to be able to do so with such a diverse portfolio. Sometimes decisions are made at the corporate level that don't necessarily make sense for every hotel in the company.

Continue to do what you do and continue to grow internationally.

Great company with strong senior leadership.

Current Employee - Sales - NYC
    Current Employee - Sales - NYC

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity for career growth, especially in NYC. Ability to work for branded and independent hotels either large or small. Constant new projects and hotels allowing employees the chance to advance rapidly. Senior leadership is strong and accessible, always willing to help.

Cons

Company culture could be improved but not bad at all. Understanding this is a smaller company there are systems in place that could be improved but if you are willing to speak up you can help promote these changes.

Keep up the good work, I very much enjoy my experience at this company. Vacation time and 401K could be improved to make Highgate a more attactive overall package.

Great company with a lot of career growth opportunities!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of career growth. The Department Heads are incredible leaders and are extremely supportive in everyone's career growth. It's a family come first environment and supervisor's don't question when you need to take off. The salary is on the higher end. I've never been reprimanded for making a mistake, but rather encouraged to take risks. There are a lot of training classes and we are always cross-training with other departments.

Cons

We work long hours, however this is true of everyone including the Executive Team. The days does go by very quickly and we all come in around 7am(Management, Department Heads and Directors), so we still leave at a decent time.

Thank you for being such incredible Leaders!

Good Environment

I have been working at Highgate Hotels

Pros

Solid environment with room for growth, although they need to staff more heavily to promote customer satisfaction. Boston based properties friendlier than NYC.

Cons

Management does not concern itself with staffing at the appropriate levels in most of the offices. This should be improved.

Simply FANTASTIC!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The executive team listen actively and is always ready to help and support. The company is growing at a very fast pace, creating a professional and exciting environment. The main focus is around our customers and employee satisfaction. It is real pleasure to work for this great organization.

Cons

there are no challanges I can think! it is a big organization with high expectations. Nothing wrong with this!

you are doing a great job!

Amazing

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to work, never had any issues

Cons

nothing..just a very happy place and you're given a lot of opportunities

Motivating

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room for movement within manhattan. HR is willing to work with you to better yourself for career advancement.

Cons

Too much turnaround within upper management.

Management is paid for 40 hours, but works a MINUMUM of 50 hours per week. Yes, it's salary, and is to be expected. But maybe more bonus/salary increase opportunities for their extremely hard working management team who is practically running the hotel.

Great company to work for if you are truly intersted in being a hotelier

Current Employee - Complex Human Resources Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Complex Human Resources Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic growth opportunities within the company. Great benefits. Great hotels in major markets

Cons

Still growing but upside tremendous

Outstanding Company for Passionate Hospitality Professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional opportunity for growth and recognition with a growing company. High degree of exposure to all levels of associates within the organization. Mentoring is very strong.

Cons

Though not necessarily a con, the success of the organization is dependent on individuals who thrive in a dynamic and intense environment. As the hospitality industry is more competitive than ever and the public more savvy- the need to turn on the dime and be flexible about priorities is necessary for success.

Continue to work on the quality of building the pipeline. A collaborative approach with management on the property level continues to drive the success of the organization.