Highgate Hotels

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mahmood Khimji

An extraordinary management company to work for! I would highly recommend this organization to anyone in hospitality.

Human Resources (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFantastic, successful, creative, and forward thinking organization. Highgate currently manages more hotel rooms in the NYC area than does any other management company. This gives you the ability to transfer and promote yourself amongst the other properties without changing your zip code. Highgate offers a extraordinary benefits package.

ConsI can honestly say that I haven't encountered any negativety in my position with Highgate. I have no "cons" to speak to.

Opportunity For Growth & Very Motivating!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOn-property as well as senior management is vastly knowledgeable; challenging work environment for those who want to flourish in their careers no matter what level; great portfolio of properties leading to dynamic communication of ideas/operations across several markets.

ConsMore training opportunities would be really beneficial - not necassarily mandatory training programs, but perhaps a selection for those who are interested in their own development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be valuable to focus on training existing managers, as well as focus on a strategic recruiting effort for future acquisitions to develop and retain existing and new top talent. I love the cutting-edge approach and the outsdie-the-box thinking that trickles down from the corporate level. It is inspiring a I feel confident in Highgate's (and my) future.

Sub par customer service. more worried about balancing the check book then serving people. Paradise stream Resort!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Paradise, PA

ProsBenefit package is good, Loyal Positive Management team.

ConsConstantly telling the customer sorry. Never supplies or product to serve the customer. Budget run Resort, Not built to serve customers. Tell the guest not to come on the 5th week of of any month! They don't budget for that! Room service department, Well, There isn't any! In a couples resort! lol paying hundreds a night for a room and forget your toothbrush? Go buy one! the front desk wont have any. Absurd! Days Inn will give you a toothbrush for goodness sake. Set some standards for your name.

Advice to Senior ManagementExample: If a kitchen needs 5 heads of lettuce a week. wouldn't you think you should be able to buy 25 heads for five weeks? Now they just tell the customer no salad on week 5. lol. If this sounds crazy its is, and it happens. The rooms are out dated but very clean and well kept. A few gallons of paint and attention to details on the grounds and buildings would go a long way. How about a full room service department, hell you are missing out on huge profits! All there is now is a menu in the room for an on grounds restaurant. Full tv ordering system for guest. And for god sake stop using security as bellman and taxi drivers its unprofessional for any hotel to do so. If changes are not made you can go look at the old Penn Hills resort down the road. rooms where designed by the same people who designed our rooms. Wake up your missing the boat! Same old customers keep coming. Find new ways to get a new younger crowd to start coming. We offer the same tired stuff all the cheap old rundown Pocono resorts offer. Take a look a penns peak they bring in a lot of new young people by bringing young acts and bands. Heck I have gone there for shows and it's assume. Focus advertising on a younger demographic, not the old couple by the fireplace. That couple left for Florida a long time ago! I can Totally see why Highgate wont put it's name on the moniker.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highgate started as a small company and grown to become the largest operator of hotels in New York City.

ProsEntrepreneurial environment that offers opportunities to be visible. Sincere and gracious leaders who care about their Associates. Inviting and creative culture.

ConsHave none to report as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn our industry when Associates are engaged our guests will be happy. I appreciate the thoughtful and mindfulness of the decisions made. We just keep getting better.

Absolutely love the work

Assistant Director of Finance (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe coworkers are friendly, many of them hosipitality minded. There are lots of opportunities to tailor the work to your own style and make decisions.

ConsGrowth and opportunities stem heavily from who you know. IT infrastructure isn't well developed

Unless you are desperate- reconsider your options

Manager (Current Employee) Key West, FL

ProsGreat assets in NYC. If you are in this area, they do a nice job of operating their hotels and growing talent. From what I hear, the RVP in this area is talented.

ConsOutside of the NYC market, this company has demonstrated questionable practices - I have seen GM's, Sales Managers, and even Vice Presidents dismissed, despite their superior performance. There is a true lack of operational knowledge and a fear mentality run by human resources. As a result, policies are created on a whim and people are treated with disrespect.

The regional Vice President for my region was not a GM for more than a couple of years. Although I did not interact with him personally, this is a bit concerning.

In my career, I have never been berated and forced to make unethical choices until Highgate.

Finally, like every other company, they want to get into third party management. Until they create a sustainable and ethical platform, I would not let them manage my hotel.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your limitations on your operation, then act with compassion and vigilance. Unfortunately, despite how HR likes to spin it, your company is not "extraordinary". It is a embarrassment to have Highgate on your résumé

The absolute worst company to work for.

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you gutting a company, not being interested in hospitality at all, or if you like lying to your employees everyday, then this is the ideal place to work.

ConsPredatory, union busting, misinformation and degradation of management is the norm. One manager doing six different functions to cut costs. Conversion of hotels to condos is their forte. Insurance sucks if they become your hotel's management company, all senior managers will be terminated, all key employees will soon follow to be replaced by the twiggy crew from Dallas.

Pleasant

Banquet Captain (Current Employee) Marshalls Creek, PA

ProsGreat place to work, Very friendly staff. benefits & paid time off.

ConsNot many opportunities to advance.

Better than other hotel companies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mount Pocono, PA

ProsPay packages, benefits, employee programs, this company offers everything to those even at the lowest level

ConsNot many hotels to use in Employee stay options, slow to respond to corporate issues

The worse Hotel Management Company in the Industry STAY AWAY

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNONE - If you value your career in hospitality stay away from this company.

Cons1. The most unprofessional company I have ever work for
    2. The most disorganized company I have ever work for
    3. The most disrespectful company towards employees I ever seen
    4. The worse work environment I have ever seen
    5. The Worse HR Department I have ever seen
    6 They expect you to work 16 hours a day if you are salary
    7. This is a third world country sweatshop, and they use smoke and mirrors to attract a labor force
    8. In my short year there I saw 30 people quit just in one of their Hotel properties
    9. They are completely reliant the old and dated technology, they won't spend any money on providing you the tools to do your job
    10. The worse salaries in the Hospitality Industry, They love BoZos because they will take any salary and don't do any work

Advice to Senior Management1.STOP the Lie, you will never be Starwood or a real Hotel management Company
    2.Real professionals that are talented,and work hard expect to be paid accordingly and have a life after work.
    3 Have some respect for your employees as they are the face to your customer
    4. Learn the lessons that BPPH provided you

Worked for Highgate Hotels? Contribute to the Community!