Highland Capital Reviews

Highland Capital Co-Founder and President James Dondero
James Dondero

Highland Capital Management as a Destination Workplace

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is a great fit for people who are willing to put in the work while achieving results. There are some extremely smart people working throughout all levels of the company. I mention this because it's a fairly flat organization in terms of communication and cooperation. This includes exposure to upper levels of management.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily call this a negative, but it should be pointed out that exposure to senior-level management also implies a high level of accountability.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Highland hires only the best candidates and it shows. The people are brilliant, talented and hard-working. You can learn a ton from your fellow employees. - The skills and knowledge you gain by working at Highland allow you to advance your career as far as you want it to go. - The pay and benefits (paid healthcare, free lunches, fully stocked snack room, paid cell phone, gym membership, etc.) are second to none. - Overall, Highland is one of the best places to work in the industry.

Cons

The required 50-hour weekly average. This isn't much different than other companies in the industry, but just know going in that this isn't a 40 hour per week job.

Interesting Place

I worked at Highland Capital full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Free lunch. Healthcare. Great exposure to everything - you will get more responsibility than you are ready for and need to figure it out. Sink or swim type of deal.

Cons

Not much to say that people haven't already mentioned. Lots of forced hours even when it is slow. Awkward culture and personal relationships. Politics wins the day.

I love Highland

I have been working at Highland Capital

Pros

Benefits, bonuses, learning opportunities, cool desk set ups, free lunch

Cons

Poor corporate image due to recent PR

Advice to Management

Focus on improving image and growing the client base. Grow private equity department

Plentiful Opportunities

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Working hard and having a good attitude will open numerous doors at Highland. • There are always opportunities to expand your skillset due to the lean nature of the company. • Benefits are first class – dental/health premiums fully paid for, lunch per diem, 100% 401k match w/ no vesting period, profit sharing, and yearly bonus to name a few • Great collaboration between teams – a cohesive bunch of individuals • Management has an open door policy • Recruiting/onboarding process was very efficient and well-organized

Cons

• You are required to maintain a 50 hour weekly average, but the time rarely seems to drag and never have I seen management give a hard time to clock in/out. • There are only two dates where one can join the company’s 401k plan.

Great experience

I have been working at Highland Capital

Pros

The very flat organizational structure and variety of investment vehicles provide a great amount of responsibility right off the bat and allow you to take on virtually any investment idea or project, getting anyone's ear from your peers to the CEO. There's also a real sense of growth at the moment with AUM steadily climbing and plenty of new hires, setting a great tone for the team. Everyone here is incredibly bright and, at least in my group, everyone is someone I'd be happy to go grab a beer with. Other good HR perks are zero cost healthcare, a generous PTO package, free drinks / snacks all day, free lunch, a very nice office at the Crescent, etc.

Cons

Out of principle, tracking your hours via Timekeeper is obnoxious and sets the wrong tone, but it practically doesn't matter. Work / life balance, while far better than investment banking, is no different than any other investment fund (~55 hours / week), and it's not hard to clear your requirement. The one positive thing about tracking your hours is that if you're above your minimum requirement, you can basically take half-days on Fridays without taking PTO. Free lunch is great most of the time and is always good for the bank account, but it'd be nice to go out to lunch with coworkers every once in awhile to help build camaraderie. Not that much of a con, I suppose, and partially offset by fairly frequent company happy hours and group outings.

Plenty of Opportunities / Talented Employees / Great Pay & Benefits

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highland has been an outstanding place to work. I've been able to work with very smart, energetic people - it is a motivating environment to work in. If you perform well you will have the opportunity to take on additional responsibility and leadership. It's a flat organization with easy access to senior management. The firm is nimble and makes decisions quickly without getting bogged down in bureaucracy. The comp is very hard to beat and the benefits are world-class (free medical and dental insurance, free daily lunch, gym, cell phone bill paid, generous vacation days, etc.) I'm proud to work here.

Cons

It is an intense work environment and the pace isn't for everyone...a work hard, play hard type of place. Very high standards.

Highland Capital was the best company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Highland Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This firm was to me the perfect job. The people here are outstanding, intelligent, motivated, the perfect blend of talent. I only left because they spun off my department into a separate company and I no longer worked directly for them. And I have missed working there ever since. It's the longest I've ever been with a company.

Cons

For some people the hours might be a con, but for me once you got used to putting in your time and you knew everyone else was else, by design, putting in their hours or more you felt everyone was contributing equally.

Toxic, Controlling, Aloof - A facade or a mirage!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Damn! Free delivered lunch everyday and dinner if you're burning the middle night oil. A flat organization, meaning you get a lot of responsibilities and great experience and exposure to execs. Your peers are typically nice, cordial and courteous. Although people are not every open and friendly. Everyone seems to have four computer monitors. Well, that's how you make money. Its takes a little to make a lot.

Cons

With the exposure to many execs, you get a first hand look at the idiosyncrasies that these egotistical, butt clenching neurotic insecure overpaid strong-arm soldiers do. Wanna succeed? Follow their lead. If not, and many do not, you are out the door. This place has got some turnover and low tenure. Most people have only been with the company for less than 2 years. I guess, that what happens when you have integrity and expect truth and honesty.

Advice to Management

Man up! Open your eyes! Quit always thinking about spending your six or seven figure bonuses or listening to yourselves talk. No one is listening, not even yourself. Either you are an unprincipled moron, aloof or a frat boy or a combination.

High expectations but a very rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to senior management Ability to work independently on own research ideas Good work/life balance Fun work environment Ability to take on new responsibilities, entrepreneurship encouraged Great compensation and benefits Casual dress code

Cons

Time quota (just the concept, it's not really hard to meet expectations) Limited travel to companies and conferences

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the business and communicate that vision to the firm

RSS Feed </> Embed