Highland Forwarding

Updated April 14, 2015
14 reviews filtered by
3.4
Radek Maly

1. Great company to work for with great atmosphere! Small company with a family feeling

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time

Pros

You are very independent in your day to day work, you are truly responsible for your profit. The diversity is great, you gain a lot of experience by dealing with different type of file.
    The owner are amazing boss to have! They really do a lot for their employee.
    The place is awesome!

Cons

The only con will be a salary being low but you have a lot of opportunity to increase it. The benefits are a great help too.
     If you choose logistics you have to be prepared to work extra hours! The freight never stop...

2. Logistics Specialist

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time

Pros

provide significant opportunity to learn about everything related to freight forwarding

Cons

salary lower than average in this industry

3. Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Logistics in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Logistics in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highland Forwarding is a unique company in many aspects - smart & dedicated employees speaking multiple languages, innovative approach to problem solving, caring supervisors ready to help not only with work related issues but family hardship as well, great vision on the part of senior management (6 times listed on INC5000 and new office building with a warehouse being some of their accomplishments). As a small company the benefit package is quite impressive and salary is directly tied to work performance - the more knowledgeable & productive you are the higher your commission level. Strong work ethic, good head on your shoulders and willingness to go above and beyond will get you very far here. You may feel family atmosphere everywhere - kids are always welcome in our office and we have a family outing every quarter. Last but not least, the owner's wife truly takes care of us - kitchen is stocked with 20+ different kinds of coffee, tea, fruits, vegetables, crackers, cookies,... her unique listening ability & converting it into reality is second to none.

Cons

Our customer service work is quite demanding - it takes about one year to be fully trained and long hours are often necessary. All of us start at the bottom and then it is up to the individual to make her own path; frequent reviews help in becoming better and more productive. If you are looking for great pay be prepared to wait a few years and work very hard to get there; nothing in life worth anything comes easy!

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work, keep listening to us and keep growing.

5. Challenging and exciting place to work

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very fast paced environment. The work is very challenging and exciting. There are new things to learn every day. Team work is encouraged and co-workers are always willing to offer advice and share their knowledge to help others.

Cons

The job can be demanding and the hours can be long at times, but those who show their commitment are very compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Try to improve efficiency in the office to help with reduce the long hours.

6. Nice people and hard work

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I first met my co-workers, I was treated as if I had been a part of the company for years. Every employee that I came in contact with, welcomed me with open arms and a promise of assistance whenever I should require it. My knowledge and expertise was valued and put to use.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees so they take care of your company.

Jun 2, 2014President

Dear colleague, thank you for the nice comment. We try very hard so that all new employees feel welcome. Over the past year we have made substantial investment in our new office building so that we ... More

7. Current employee with intent of leaving the company as soon as possible.

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros to consider when it comes to working for or with the company as a customer.

Cons

Lack of honesty on management's part with both employees and customers, and I agree with the above review that most leadership gain is at the expense of others.
    As a full-time "salary" job, work should take 35-40 hours/week, where as at Highland Forwarding employees may spend upwards of 50-60 hours/week, the most common reasons for this being exploitation and trying to cover for a lack of actual skill. This goes unrecognized and unappreciated by management as well.
    In comparison to other forwarding companies, compensation runs on the lower end of the salary spectrum.
    Favoritism in the office is very obvious and blatant, ruining employee relationships and morale.
    Hiring policy seems to include hiring two incompetent, easily manipulated employees to one proficient worker as a cost-cutting technique.
    The President of the company is correct in saying that employment here is not for everybody. Just for those who have no other choices or opportunities. Desperation is all that would keep an employee at Highland Forwarding for long.

Advice to Management

Refrain from listening to your wife and consider what is best for your company, employees and customers.

Jun 2, 2014President

Hello,
    I have been thinking for 2 months how to respond to this post. I see only 2 alternatives as to who could write such a negative post.
    1) an outside competitor - much of the language seems a
    ... More

8. A challenging career with a family atmosphere

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Bedford, NH

I worked at Highland Forwarding full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The intelligence, work ethic, and helpfulness of staff and management surpassed that of anywhere I’ve worked in the past.

This is a dedicated, extremely reliable, brilliant team of people.

The atmosphere is that of a welcoming family.

Cons

Logistics is a complex, demanding field and can be a bit overwhelming to a newcomer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Highland Forwarding is successful because of the high expectations of management. The average person may not fit in, but this is an above average business and employment opportunity, which is why you are the "BEST."

9. What are we doing now ?

Former Employee - Logistics in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Logistics in Bedford, NH

I worked at Highland Forwarding full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast Growth in the us.

Cons

Long Hours to get the job done .

Advice to Management

No advise to give at this time..

Oct 9, 2013President

Hello, sorry your employment with us did not work out. Highland is not right for everybody. It is very busy environment with a lot of energy and 'do-it' attitude. We try very hard to hire the right ... More

Work at Highland Forwarding

Current Employee - Import in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Import in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry. Close to boston.

Cons

Very bad management. Dishonest to their employees and to their customers. The owner has a couple favorites in the office and it shows. New and innovative ways of doing business is frowned upon and dismissed by the owner/management.

Advice to Management

No advice. The owner does really not do anything without the permission of his wife, so no advice would help.

Oct 9, 2013President

We do not believe this comment is from any current or former employee as some of the factual information is wrong in it. It is possible it has been posted by a competitor. We have asked to have it ... More

11. Business Development

Current Employee - Business Development in Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - Business Development in Bedford, NH

I have been working at Highland Forwarding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This appears to be a professional working environment. Many good managers in the office.

Cons

Lacks a marketing and sales plan . They are on a production mentality rather than a "business " plan for sales. Once you have sold your initial customers no guidance on future markets. They claim a team but when something unexpected pops up I am not sure they are looking at things objectively and from a marketing standpoint.

Advice to Management

You need a marketing plan and system with built in lead generation.

Oct 9, 2013President

Thank you for the feedback. As we grow we are putting in better sales and marketing system in place. We are lucky that many customers come to us through word of mouth as they hear about our excellent ... More

Highland Forwarding Photos