Highland Homes

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rodger Sanders

Challenging work with a positive enviornment.

Construction Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGet to work with all different types of customers with different wants and needs so every house presents a new challenge. Good bonuses for finishing houses. Offers you actual meaningful work immediately after being hired.

ConsLots of driving around and wasting gas if you are a construction manager. Could have better pay for construction managers.

Good company that builds good homes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, friendly and cooperative corporate culture. They have a set of core values that they really do put effort into adhering to, where many places it's just so much lip service. They really do think about doing "the right thing" even when it's not necessarily the most expedient or short-term profitable.

ConsLike most companies, there is a tendency for departments to act as standalone operations where they would be more effective if they were to look for more ways to share information across departments. People can get territorial, but once they recognized they were doing that, they usually stopped because they understood the value of cooperation.

The biggest downside to working here, though, is that the top layers of management have "C-level personalities". They have a hard time listening to things they don't want to hear, and when they screw up, only a few of them are willing to just admit it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen to people who are trying to warn you about a problem. They can be your greatest asset. If you don't listen and things go badly, learn to say, "This went really badly. Here's why, here are the signs and warnings that I missed or set aside, here's what we can learn from it, and here's how we can move forward."

If you're good at ignoring mistakes, you might manage to look good publicly. If you're good at confronting mistakes head-on and openly, you will be respected and followed like you've never thought possible.

Decent place to work

ProsGood atmosphere, good coworkers, good benefits

ConsVery low compensation and empty promises

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place filled with integrity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe best thing about working here is the ability to make what you can out of your job. It is really up to you as far as the level of success you can achieve. It is a place that simply does the right thing.

ConsThe organization is relatively flat and there is not a lot of opportunity for real growth

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to see a more vertical structure that had true responsibility and accountability changes as the key part of each role.

Empty promises part 2

Sales (Current Employee) DFW, TX

ProsThey do build a very nice home and have a lot of integrity towards customers and realtors.

ConsOn the other hand, they don't quite treat employees the same. The do not value opinions/suggestions. They is also always seem to keep employees in the dark. Very uncertain. Also, getting promoted takes forever! Hours are AWFUL! 10-7 all year long.. Really?

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to try new ways of doing things/change. Don't keep your employees in the dark. Have a little more consideration towards our time with families. Don't be so greedy.

Great place to work with a culture of doing things right.

ProsThey value your opinion and really care about doing the right thing. If the company needs to change direction it can do so very quickly. Thin layer of upper management makes getting decisions made quickly without meeting with 30 people first.

ConsOne of its greatest strengths is also its greatest weakness. Since decisions are made quickly, sometimes stepping back and evaluating the situation might be prudent. Often fall into the trap of getting "the cart before the horse". Work out the details BEFORE rolling out new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would much rather have PTO and ditch the vacation/sick days. 15 years before you get 4 weeks vacation? Way too long. Really need to re-vamp how starts are processed - way too many errors and doing work twice.

Best job ever!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEveryday I get to meet new people and help with buy a current home or help them build their new dream home.

ConsSometimes you work on weekends

Empty Promises

Construction Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood co-workers. Health benefits were top notch. Always did the right thing for the customer. Being a private home builder meant that they weren't beholden to quarterly numbers as much as the publicly traded companies.

ConsHard to get bonus paid out. I was promised a raise and promotion in a certain time frame that never came to fruition. Poor communication between management and the rest of the company. Poor foresight into the future from management. A private company that doesn't offer profit sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou preach the list of guiding principals you your employees but then don't follow through on them yourselves.

Sales Consultant

Sales (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmaller company had great owners when they were involved full time and good work environment.

ConsBecame more 'construction' based as time went on. Leadership changed hands and was no longer the 'best' place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales staff. Don't depend so much on your consultants.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBase salary plus commission; working independent in beautiful model homes; benefits

ConsWeekend Hours; Limited advancement into Community Sales Manager

Worked for Highland Homes? Contribute to the Community!