Highland Homes

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rodger Sanders

Great place to work with a culture of doing things right.

I have been working at Highland Homes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey value your opinion and really care about doing the right thing. If the company needs to change direction it can do so very quickly. Thin layer of upper management makes getting decisions made quickly without meeting with 30 people first.

ConsOne of its greatest strengths is also its greatest weakness. Since decisions are made quickly, sometimes stepping back and evaluating the situation might be prudent. Often fall into the trap of getting "the cart before the horse". Work out the details BEFORE rolling out new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would much rather have PTO and ditch the vacation/sick days. 15 years before you get 4 weeks vacation? Way too long. Really need to re-vamp how starts are processed - way too many errors and doing work twice.

Empty promises part 2

Sales (Current Employee)
DFW, TX

I have been working at Highland Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsThey do build a very nice home and have a lot of integrity towards customers and realtors.

ConsOn the other hand, they don't quite treat employees the same. The do not value opinions/suggestions. They is also always seem to keep employees in the dark. Very uncertain. Also, getting promoted takes forever! Hours are AWFUL! 10-7 all year long.. Really?

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to try new ways of doing things/change. Don't keep your employees in the dark. Have a little more consideration towards our time with families. Don't be so greedy.

Best job ever!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Homes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEveryday I get to meet new people and help with buy a current home or help them build their new dream home.

ConsSometimes you work on weekends

Empty Promises

Construction Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Highland Homes full-time

ProsGood co-workers. Health benefits were top notch. Always did the right thing for the customer. Being a private home builder meant that they weren't beholden to quarterly numbers as much as the publicly traded companies.

ConsHard to get bonus paid out. I was promised a raise and promotion in a certain time frame that never came to fruition. Poor communication between management and the rest of the company. Poor foresight into the future from management. A private company that doesn't offer profit sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou preach the list of guiding principals you your employees but then don't follow through on them yourselves.

Sales Consultant

Sales (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Highland Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsSmaller company had great owners when they were involved full time and good work environment.

ConsBecame more 'construction' based as time went on. Leadership changed hands and was no longer the 'best' place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales staff. Don't depend so much on your consultants.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Highland Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsBase salary plus commission; working independent in beautiful model homes; benefits

ConsWeekend Hours; Limited advancement into Community Sales Manager

Had great experience until direct boss was let go

Sales (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Highland Homes

ProsGreat company-beautiful homes and plans.

ConsLack of some respect toward sales people

Worked for Highland Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Highland Homes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Highland Homes CEO Rodger Sanders. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Highland Homes employees.