Highline Medical Center

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
3.5

CEO

In-house medical Transcriptionist position.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Burien, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Burien, WA

I worked at Highline Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, people, community.

Cons

Not available in-house any longer.

Bring back MTs NOT from a third-party company but employees who work for Highline.

Respiratory Therapist

I worked at Highline Medical Center

Pros

Better than average benefits and salaries, dependent on education & experience. I had the good fortune to work with some excellent people.

Cons

Work/Life balance sometimes difficult if you are not of the parenting sector, you get to take a back seat. Recent changes have brought a rather hostile element to the work area, and a lot of politics.

Remember that your success rest on the people who work for you, you should not take them for granted.

Duties as assigned can mean a lot of things

I worked at Highline Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the insurance benefits When I was employed there we had full medical coverage and basic dental. If you get sick your doctor is usually right on campus. I was fortunate enough to have a supervisor that treated me fairly. Hospital work will teach you humility if you haven't learned this lesson.

Cons

Besides the emotional toll that working in heathcare can take on you, when you finally put your vacation request in, be prepared for it to be denied. When I worked there they were "short-staffed" but didn't really allow overtime. Be prepared to work odd hours, and every holiday. It is just the way it is.

Family environment

I worked at Highline Medical Center

Pros

Longterm employees very connected to hospital and community.

Cons

Resistant to change and new people.

Create a more open community of professionals to take advantage of innovative impulses of staff.

Some great people but poor morale

I worked at Highline Medical Center full-time

Pros

There are some really great doctors, and I love many of my coworkers. The benefits are good, especially if you see Highline physicians. I was satisfied with my hours and the amount of call. There is free on-site parking and the main campus is easy to get to. The hospital is a great resource for its patient population and tries to get involved in community outreach.

Cons

The overall morale in my department is poor. Many people seem dissatisfied with first-tier management and do not feel like their voices are being heard. I think that upper-level management really does care and wants to make Highline a great place to be, but that is not the impression I recieved from lower management.

I think Highline works really hard to provide quality care.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Burien, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Burien, WA

I have been working at Highline Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

free parking right across the street from the hospital. dedicated honest administrater. Great co-workers.

Cons

small hospital, non affliated until recently, lots of financial struggles.

Just remember that we care about Highline as much as you do.

Highline is OK, but could be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burien, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burien, WA

I worked at Highline Medical Center

Pros

-Great place to gain experience using a diverse set of skills caring for a vulnerable population
    -Great co-workers
    -Local smaller hospital convenient for the local community, convenient for staff

Cons

-Management not able to manage budget, leading to a layoff of staff in critical areas of the organization - and then re-hiring staff back.
    -Management not able to engage and energize staff in promoting best practices, professional development.
    -Relationship between staff and management is strained
    -Organizational culture needs to be improved

-Board needs to re-assess c-suite executives to ensure fresh ideas and whether they fit in with organizational culture
    -Culture and professionalism needs to be improved from the top down - not from the bottom to middle as organization has been currently doing.
    -In order to survive in the metropolitan market, effective change management must occur throughout the entire organization. The org needs to invest in quality, fully, not haphazardly. Needs to invest in talented professional staff, the greatest resource of any org.
    -The path the org is on will lead to it being merged or acquired, leading to a loss of the community orientation of the hospital.

Some pros and cons

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Highline Medical Center

Pros

Once you are a part of the union for one year you qualify for very good education benefits. They have an amazing brand new ER, and any ER nurse would jump to work in such a beautiful place.

Cons

depending of the department you work in, management can be discouraging at times, as well as getting a schedule that is supports you while in school.

As any part of management I would just ask that you be more supportive of offering helpful schedules to those who are in school trying to further their careers.

Overall A

Current Employee - Surgical Technician
    Current Employee - Surgical Technician

I have been working at Highline Medical Center

Pros

Small community hospital that seems to care about the community it serves.
    Teamwork exhibited on a daily basis
    Not micromanaged

Cons

Small staff which makes getting coverage for an emergency or sick call very difficult.
    Slow days + long hours = torture
    Stressful at times

Good People

I have been working at Highline Medical Center

Pros

The people here really care about their job and believe in what they do

Cons

Senior management seems disorganized, unable to follow through or make decisions and stick with them.

Recognize that the good people that are working for you deserve good managers - send leaders to management classes to gain knowledge on how to be better leaders.