Highmark

Highmark Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Highmark President & CEO William Winkenwerder, Jr.

William Winkenwerder, Jr.

Pros
  • Work/life balance was pretty good, but it is getting worst(in 9 reviews)

• Some teams/positions allow work from home 2 days a week(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can suffer occasionally changes to the incentive plan are detrimental(in 4 reviews)

• Most lower level management lies to upper management to keep the issues quiet(in 4 reviews)

Customer Service Rep

ProsThe training session was very good. The applicant was provided with all the information needed to successfully complete the job.

ConsYou will be answering many phone calls all day. While working on the phones you have to track all the time that you are away from your phone.

Unattainable Metrics

Health Coach (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat hard working, professional Nurse colleagues.

ConsLack of allowance to assist disease conditions and needs of members r/t weekly metrics of 15 enrollments and medication reconciliation that mandates of minimum of 40 expanding question, questionnaire. Other demands are to obtain this within a 25-30 minute time so to satisfy the phone metrics of 30-40 calls per day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your expectations; do the math, which you will find is not possible to be completed in any 8 hr day (paid 7.5 hr./ day exempt Health Coach). Those

Completely dysfunctional organization lacking in integrity

Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsWhen the company was BCBS of DE it was a great place to work with caring people. We truly worried about out customers and we tried to do the right thing. Since it was taken over by Highmark there are no pros to working here other than a paycheck.

ConsUnprofessional atmosphere with expectations of 24 x 7 availability at all times. No work life balance due to inept management and business practices. Projects are chaotic but usually failures that are implemented anyway. There is no thought given to what is best for employees or customers. To top it all off, the benefits are awful considering this is a health insurance company.

Most lower level management lies to upper management to keep the issues quiet. Upper management is detached from the people that are doing the work or anyone that might tell them the truth.

The current environment is demoralizing for anyone with integrity since the only way to succeed as an employee is to leave your integrity at the door when you come in every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLIVE the values you print on everything - truly care about your customers, providers, and employees. The attitude of put it in and we will deal with the fallout later is irresponsible at best. Someone needs to take a step back and start doing the RIGHT things. Invest in process improvement and root cause analysis. Quit sending work overseas and invest in your employees that are here.

Give a real work life balance - being a good employee does not mean you work 70 hour work weeks and check your email at midnight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaos

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNone its horrible honestly the worst place to work

ConsEverything. The company is terrible to work for

Advice to Senior Managementburn it down and start over

Not Consistent and Too Management Heavy

Business Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsLarge corporate which is potentially growing. Good place to get experience in Healthcare and the Rational Unified Process tools and terminology. Salaries seem in line with industry or slightly better. Some teams/positions allow work from home 2 days a week. Jeans on Friday.

ConsUncertain how the provider network battle with UPMC will turn out and affect Highmark's business future. Highmark does not have a consistent approach to project management across the corporation. Some teams are organized while others are completely disorganized and chaotic. I was on a very chaotic team before I left and the fallout from this was the reason for my leaving (long hours, unreasonable expectations). There are as many or more project leads as actual workers on a project which is very unproductive. This is also a result of the disorganization. Many people are stressed out who work here and are on anti-anxiety pills as a result. .

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized in your approach to project management by establishing corporate expectations, this will save money in the long run by streamlining efforts. Give management training. Health of your employees is not just about physical workouts.

Great coworkers, but currently (2013) unreasonably chaotic atmosphere.

Business Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsHighmark offers competitive salary and benefits, opportunities to work with current technologies, and some perks (at the Center Street location) like onsite gym, bank, coffee/gift shop, cafeteria (with many selections) and doctor.

ConsProjects at Highmark are literally 20 times more chaotic than those at any of my previous four employers. A lot of time is wasted in meetings in which no one really knows who is responsible for what or what is important or necessary. Almost every statement is qualified by "I think", "That's probably", "maybe" or "my understanding is...". A big part of any task is figuring out who knows the information that you need to know so that you can get the answer from them. Another challenge is figuring out how things work because processes are poorly documented if at all. When they are documented, inconsistency and ambiguity are the norm. Highmark is currently paying the price for years of past shortsightedness. Integrity, a core value at Highmark, should include the effect of undefined business processes and poor planning on its employees.

Advice to Senior Management- W. Edwards Deming rightfully told us that 85% of quality is determined by management. This company's problems are rooted in systemic poor planning and decision making by upper management. Train yourselves in decision making processes. Hire direct reports who will tell you when your decisions don't make sense.
    - Retain talent at all costs. When nothing is documented and people leave, so do your hopes of maintaining your systems.
    - Document all business processes.
    - Document roles and responsibilities of all departments.
    - Document all systems.
    - Quit reorganizing; it just further exacerbates ambiguous roles and responsibilities.
    - Dedicate 10% of experienced employees' time to mentoring until systems are documented.
    - Revamp training with experienced trainers and people educated in instructional design.
    - Create a corporate glossary so that everyone knows (or can learn) what everyone else is talking about.
    - Create a system maintenance "fix it" budget, so that home grown applications can get the corrections they need in order for employees to more efficiently do their jobs.
    - Don't try to take on three or more significant initiatives during a major legislative change.

Decent pay, good opportunities

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Parkersburg, WV

ProsYou feel like they really do value as an employee. The pay is pretty good-especially around here in WV. The benefits are really great and very inexpensive. You have opportunities to learn new things and new positions within the company are constantly opening up. They also heavily promote working from home which is a nice option.

ConsTraining is extensive, but by the time you hit the floor it seems everything you were told was wrong. Communication is often times just not there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everyone in the loop about new policies and changes and make training more relevent and up to date.

Good for Freshers

Applications Developer III (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsGood Salary and benefits. Employee Friendly Organization.

ConsNeed to promote employee who are working hard

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to promote employee who are working hard,Good Salary and benefits. Employee Friendly Organization.

Great place to work!

IT Team Manager (Current Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsMy team at Highmark is like a second family. The people there genuinely care about you. Everyone is reaching for the same goals and successes, and the team tries to help each other out whenever possible. Highmark approves of a work - life balance.

ConsNothing negative to say. I enjoy working for Highmark and am proud of the job that we all do there. Highmark is a great place to work.

Their Hiring Terms Are a Lie!

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFlexible Schedule. Jeans on Friday.

ConsWhen hired I was promised a 5% sign on bonus. This was a complete lie. It is actual eligibility for a special performance bonus that I might be eligible for. Next I was promised and have in writing 4.5 days vacation and PTO days. Also a lie. I get 1 day in December. Also, I won't get my first pay until almost a full month after my hire date.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and up front. I had a good paying job with steady income. I've spent my first two weeks watching training videos, being ignored, and proof reading. Such and ideal use for a qualified IT Professional.

Worked for Highmark? Contribute to the Community!