Highmark Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.6

David L. Holmberg

Pros
  • Work/life balance was pretty good, but it is getting worst (in 9 reviews)

• Some teams/positions allow work from home 2 days a week (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can suffer occasionally changes to the incentive plan are detrimental (in 4 reviews)

• Most lower level management lies to upper management to keep the issues quiet (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

IT organization employees no longer of value

Current Employee - Manager  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated, hard working coworkers. Facilities, technology very good. Overall mission to provide affordable health care.

Cons

* Salary - due to the expectation to work excessively (70-80 hours weekly), the hourly rate is average.
    * Purging experienced staff with long tenure who have a history of exemplary performance. Where is the commitment back to the employees?

IT Senior management should go back to the philosophy of being a great place to work. Employees will respond positively which will increase productivity.

Very Political, not based on your performance. Based on who you know

I worked at Highmark full-time

Pros

There were no pros to this job

Cons

Pay, politics, must be a female to move up the ladder

Hope you start taking care of employees and be more fair

not good enough

Current Employee - Applications Architect  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay, compare to living index

Cons

no structure or control over projects

change the management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Primarily a good experience

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some great people, complex environment, variety, and challenge. Also, a wonderful gym

Cons

Limited opportunity and creativity in my group. Could be better teamwork. With frequent people shuffling, you could never feel too secure.

If someone has been there for numerous years and are vested, give them a little benefit of the doubt and maybe help them find other work in the company during a displacement. They must have some some things right and well to be there for 10+ years. Maybe a little work change within the company could rekindle the spirit and assertion to master something new before pulling the rug out and treating them like a washed up rag in the end

Please read, don't do it!

Current Employee - "case Manager"  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - "case Manager" in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time for less than a year

Pros

Contrary to the ads, postings and interview, very few good experiences once you are in the door.

Cons

False focus on the member/patient/customer. Highmark management only cares about the number of people you call and how many you successfully reach EACH week. Do not be fooled, it makes no difference the impact you have on the member or the education you provide. Very biased treatment. People who were permitted to work at home; then being forced to return and work from office without notice. Micromanagement to make management inadequacies and lack of work look as if they are more needed and valued; by picking on good professional people. Team leads useless puppets who provide inconsistent information. Have never worked in an environment where collaboration is discouraged; odd.

Pray for yourselves because you have little to no people skills, low self esteem and a lack of knowledge which forces you to treat people poorly to take the focus off yourselves. The upper management; directors, who turn a blind eye must be even worse to let this behavior go on. Nice turnover rate by the way! People around here are dropping like flies.

IT department is the biggest mess i have ever seen

I worked at Highmark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Benefits

I am sure other divisions are nice places to work

Cons

The IT department here is the worst I have ever seen.

They cram in H1B folks into every open space, and then show this off as if its a good thing and are proud of it.

Management is flat out abusive, to each other and employees. I have never seen the level of pure un professionalism at the management level as I saw in my time there.

I believe the CIO here has a vision, and he seems capable, but not surprising since he came from a consulting firm (Accenture), he is a firm believer in contractors, and decimated the department to cut costs, and its an abject mess.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and an abusive culture exists at least within the IT division and its management.

There are some competent folks scattered in, but there is a whole lot of crap.

I have seen that other divisions are not run this same way, but its clear that this department doesn't remotely live up to the culture and values that the company claims to adhere to.

Former IT employee

Former Employee - Applications Developer III  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer III in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work/life balance was pretty good, but it is getting worst. Good professional people.

Cons

Ths is no longer a place where you can spend your whole career. Very disappointed in the current direction. It will take another 5 to 10 years to add stabllity back in the Highmark work place.

Company is struggling to retain its market share and losing good people. Should have never gotten into the Hospital business. Being profitable doesn't mean laying off good employees to shore up the bottom line.

Run, do not walk, away from this company. Their arrogance is unbelievable.

Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The two best things that came out of my employment are that I met some awfully nice people, and that I was able to use the company's tuition reimbursement to get my MBA.

Cons

I am part of the recent lay offs after working there for over five years, so it may seem that I am just angry or bitter but facts are facts.

This company does not value it's most important resource...it's people. I can't speak for the experiences of others except to say that everyone that I have spoken to who has left the company is glad that they did. As for myself, although being told to leave was shocking, it was also a huge relief to get away from the pressure and anxiety that was a constant in my life. The expectations are not realistic.

After 4+ years of good ratings, I took a different (better?) job within the company and after less than a year, received a review that was so unbelievably wrong that I honestly thought they must be talking about someone else. I wrote a rebuttal, not wanting to allow that on my record without at least standing up for myself. I now know that it was just the foundation for being laid off. I'm not one to whine about life not being fair, but it truly was an unfair representation of me as an employee and as a person. When I asked my manager (who, incidentally, I had only spoken to three times in my 11 months there) if he could provide any examples or basis for the statementsade in my review, he simply said no.

Part of my severance agreement...should I choose to accept it...is that I can NEVER be employee by Highmark or any of it's subsidiaries again. And while they lay off hundreds of people, they continue to post new job openings in the same areas and make not effort to relocate displaced employees. Employee turnover is expensive and yet they are telling people, in essence....get out and never come back. Complete arrogance.

So I thank them for the Master's Degree and the plethora of "life lessons" and I plan to take the money and run far, far away from their arrogance and dysfunction.

Get to know your people. Understand that they are your greatest assets. Understand that your arrogance is going to kill this company.

Client Service Coordinator

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and location to work

Cons

No room for advancement once in position.

Long hours, hard work not much support from management.

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, nice office environment,.

Cons

No support from management, layoffs have become numerous.

Be more involved with your department.

Worked for Highmark? Contribute to the Community!