Hightail

Hightail Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Hightail Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Brad Garlinghouse

Brad Garlinghouse

Pros:
  • "Lots of flexibility to help achieve that work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Lots of really smart, interesting and hard-working people with a mandate to be bold and try new things"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most of the upper management is clueless on what it takes to run a company"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The new management team is a good ol' boys network that's running the company into the ground"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall Positive Experience at YouSendit

Product Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Hightail full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYouSendit, now Hightail builds and delivers a much needed technology product suite focused on collaboration with files. They have a hard to match set of functionality that included electronic signatures and very strong Microsoft Outlook integration. While the staff has changed considerably since I was there, the team was a strong enthusiastic one.

ConsSince that time, Hightail has put a new executive team in place. Focus on market expansion by extending the product line has seemed to stall. Growth has slowed and they are in a much more competitive market with entrants like Google Drive.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to growth strategy and focus less on traditional brand marketing.

Tons of growth and advancement opportunities for those that are IN!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hightail full-time for more than a year

ProsI've worked here over a year now and I still love coming to work every day! Let me address the elephant in the room: turnover. Yes, it's been high lately but a lot of that is due to bonuses. We all got them, some more, some less, based upon our performance. So, a lot of people hung around to get their bonus payout, some didn't get the bonus they thought they deserved (based upon performance) so they left or were asked to leave, and others just got fab jobs that they couldn't say 'no' to. It happens.

We are in a great location, we have an exec team who cares, they are transparent with our company status, they admit when they get it wrong. There are a ton of perks if you chose to use them. Lots of flexibility to help achieve that work/life balance.

ConsIt is what you make of it. Opportunity does not just present itself to those that do not try. Our company values are very clear but really only fully work if every one buys in. If you are not IN, then maybe it's time to go?

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the floor to get a clear picture of the problems in real time vs. just relying on whitewashed feedback during manager 1-1's. Provide management training for those that may not have a lot of experience in leadership roles and ensure our values are trickling down within the individual departments.

Hightail = High School = A Vicious Cycle

I have been working at Hightail full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart, talented, and hard working people. Good space to be in. Lots of opportunity and growth. Tons of fun stuff scheduled for the employees throughout the year like massages, weekly lunches, movies, company picnic, beer cart on Fridays, free coffee on Mondays at Barefoot, and "unlimited" PTO.

ConsThe culture and its values is like a beautiful house built on top of a graveyard. There are more people leaving than getting hired every day. It's like high school with all the drama. We all know what the problems and issues are (incompetent people, bad environments, constant reorg, lack of transparency, bad processes, nepotism), but Mgmt. seems to be wearing their rosy colored glasses on full time. They're either ignoring the problems and hoping it'll solve itself or it's not being addressed properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're fostering a feedback culture, please listen, pay attention to those around you, and take corrective actions.

Really enjoyed working here. Overall positive experience.

Senior Product Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hightail full-time for less than a year

ProsGood leadership team and management

ConsNo clear product direction or vision

Very good company.

I have been working at Hightail full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking environment is really nice,professional

ConsCareer advancement options are less

Worst. Place. Ever.

I have been working at Hightail full-time for more than a year

ProsNone. Really. NONE. I truly wish I could write some. Only small silver lining is that there are two good people I work with.

ConsThe organization is BLEEDING. Every Monday there are multiple voluntary departures. Recently very high profile ones left, including head of design. Management thinks that not announcing these is a good strategy. People simply disappear.

This week has reached a new level of urgency. People have started announcing their departures in mid week. They are not waiting for Monday or Friday.

HR is totally oblivious of severity this fundamental issue. They arranged a team-building event of watching Lego Movie which had severe unintended consequences. Now they are doing a mandatory strength finder exercise. The company is having a heart attack and they are busy putting nail polish ... on the little toe!

Until last week the departures were restricted to a few departments. Now it is a pandemic across the company. I am worried sick about company future.

There is complete lack of trust among teams and individuals. Job security is highest priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you are in cloud services industry does not mean that you have to have your heads in the clouds. Please, o please, come down to the 2nd or 3rd floor, literally AND figuratively. You are SO removed from the real workings of the company.

The top management is not experienced. None, I mean, NONE, of them had previously been CXOs. Most, if not all, of the VPs are first time VPs in their lives. Guys, this is a real company, not a CXO training school funded by investor moneys. Get some real talent and experience guys. I will not be surprised if the top management is let go in 1 or 2 quarters. I will congratulate the board if that happens and I am still around.

PLEASE STOP REALIGNMENT AND REORGANIZATION, PLEASE! We have work to do.

A great first date but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hightail full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company provides very strong benefits and decent compensation if you can negotiate well during the hiring process. Various small perks to the company such as catered lunches on Mondays, multiple kitchens with snacks and drinks and access to a variety of restaurants within walking distance. HR tries their best in trying to keep employees happy and relaxed by providing different events such as "Movie Day," Friday "Lounge" time and gym access.

ConsTraining was very disorganized and felt segmented. Felt very inadequate to handle daily roles due to improper education and numerous bugs within the product leads to an endless amount of complaints and troubleshooting.

Needs some help

Contract Software Eng (Former Employee)
Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- Good for the A player looking for an easy gig so can work on side projects.

- Good for B, C players looking for a paycheck or to build some skills (if that's possible).

- Overall OK culture.

Cons- Tech stack is such a mess that it takes 1-2 weeks to do 4-8 hours of work.

- Too much manager circling around doing nothing.

- Too much time spent on old technology stack instead of just putting it into proper maintenance mode and moving to something new (hint hint).

- Bug bugs bug bugs. Man the web interface is loaded with UX/UI glitches. It's buggy. I mean it's really sad. The backend is a stinker too with loads of cruft from old projects and failed initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think your destiny is set because you have competition that's blown you over. You don't have any real vision that I can see. No strategic leverage in the market. So I supposed just get bought up and that's about it. If I were the boss..

1. Dump these managers for the most part they don't do well.
2. Freeze the current stack except for enterprise.
3. Build a new stack ASAP.
4. Hire only A players and compensate them well.
5. Come up with something that will add value beyond the "let's find a new shiny little interface for people to upload their files to [that's full of bugs]".

Lots of house cleaning done, but still more to do

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hightail full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is a lot of potential in both the technology and the industry. We've got great brand recognition and a good outlook.

ConsThe engineering org is a top-heavy. More time and energy needs to be spent strengthening existing technologies to support current and future capacity and features, rather than tacking new features on.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose technical leaders based on skill and capacity rather than how they look on paper.

A company that has jumped the shark

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Hightail full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood product, and solid, scaled foundation for product and technology.

ConsThe company has turned over leadership in the last 18 months - and while one can always find things to criticize - its fair to say the old team had the business "dialed"where the current one seems to have come in to "make over the culture" and in the process tanked the business.

Under the former management team, the company was growing 60%+ per year and growing, under the current team, growth has cratered to an effective flat-line, and the team is more focused on image than product, customers, or growth. Its telling that members of the former management team have gone on to be CEOs and Execs at other companies, while the current management team doesn't have a growth-oriented track record.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what the prior team was doing to grow the business

Worked for Hightail? Contribute to the Community!

Hightail Videos

Hightail – Why Work for Us?

​​​​ We are a technology company built around engineers, developers and operations working in small, independent teams where everyone is expected to voice opinions and have a material impact. We earn a real and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hightail reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hightail CEO Brad Garlinghouse. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Hightail employees.