Hightail

Hightail Reviews

Updated May 27, 2014

Hightail Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Brad Garlinghouse

Brad Garlinghouse

Pros
  • Lots of flexibility to help achieve that work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Brad Garlinghouse is on a mission to turn the company around(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management is clueless on what it takes to run a company(in 4 reviews)

• Growth has slowed and they are in a much more competitive market with entrants like Google Drive(in 2 reviews)

Worst. Place. Ever.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsNone. Really. NONE. I truly wish I could write some. Only small silver lining is that there are two good people I work with.

ConsThe organization is BLEEDING. Every Monday there are multiple voluntary departures. Recently very high profile ones left, including head of design. Management thinks that not announcing these is a good strategy. People simply disappear.

This week has reached a new level of urgency. People have started announcing their departures in mid week. They are not waiting for Monday or Friday.

HR is totally oblivious of severity this fundamental issue. They arranged a team-building event of watching Lego Movie which had severe unintended consequences. Now they are doing a mandatory strength finder exercise. The company is having a heart attack and they are busy putting nail polish ... on the little toe!

Until last week the departures were restricted to a few departments. Now it is a pandemic across the company. I am worried sick about company future.

There is complete lack of trust among teams and individuals. Job security is highest priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you are in cloud services industry does not mean that you have to have your heads in the clouds. Please, o please, come down to the 2nd or 3rd floor, literally AND figuratively. You are SO removed from the real workings of the company.

The top management is not experienced. None, I mean, NONE, of them had previously been CXOs. Most, if not all, of the VPs are first time VPs in their lives. Guys, this is a real company, not a CXO training school funded by investor moneys. Get some real talent and experience guys. I will not be surprised if the top management is let go in 1 or 2 quarters. I will congratulate the board if that happens and I am still around.

PLEASE STOP REALIGNMENT AND REORGANIZATION, PLEASE! We have work to do.

Lots of house cleaning done, but still more to do

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of potential in both the technology and the industry. We've got great brand recognition and a good outlook.

ConsThe engineering org is a top-heavy. More time and energy needs to be spent strengthening existing technologies to support current and future capacity and features, rather than tacking new features on.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose technical leaders based on skill and capacity rather than how they look on paper.

A company that has jumped the shark

Marketing (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsGood product, and solid, scaled foundation for product and technology.

ConsThe company has turned over leadership in the last 18 months - and while one can always find things to criticize - its fair to say the old team had the business "dialed"where the current one seems to have come in to "make over the culture" and in the process tanked the business.

Under the former management team, the company was growing 60%+ per year and growing, under the current team, growth has cratered to an effective flat-line, and the team is more focused on image than product, customers, or growth. Its telling that members of the former management team have gone on to be CEOs and Execs at other companies, while the current management team doesn't have a growth-oriented track record.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what the prior team was doing to grow the business

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outsource is priority

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

Prosgood location, lots of restaurants near by

Consoutsource has higher priority than developing in-house talent. High employee turn over rate.

Great upside, if you can deal with the downsides

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsGood work-life balance for most employees. Positive culture with lots of nice people. Location in Campbell's Pruneyard or SF near Caltrain makes for easier than average commute. Very transparent exec staff that provides Sunday night status updates and Monday lunches with open Q&A. Lots of work to be done and room to grow in a competitive field. Smarts and hard work are noticed, and employees are empowered to take the ball and run without politics, egos, and fear standing in the way. Decent benefits with "honors" vacation system and an small but adequate gym in the office park.

ConsDespite overall good staffing decisions in the last year, company still lacks enough top-level tech people to solve problems and provide architecture. Lots of employees can sound the fire alarm, but too few are capable of raising the ladder or holding the hose. Siloed teams led by various Engineering "Directors" perform redundant work and step on each other's toes. "Tech debt" is evident in lack of differentiating features, bad QA process, and non-scalable infrastructure which will take some time to migrate off of. Executives make an effort to be cool and different, but sometimes come off as silly and in over their head.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company could use a few less cheerleaders and a few more all-star players. Stop saying teams should communicate more and force them to via organized cross-team projects and training. Also, get the Marketing team under control - you've given them a fat check, but they don't seem to understand what wins customers. I'm not just talking about the billboard.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsAs far as the pro, the only thing is they had good benefits.

ConsVery low pay compare to other company. Was overworked for the salary that I was making. They seems to not really care about employee's opinion and feel that promotion was based on favoritism, not hard work.

Don't try to work so hard to get promoted as that will not happen. Promotion was based on favoritism and regardless, how hard you work, you don't get recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore making decision for promotion, look at who work hard first and recognized the person based on that. Not promoting because you like that person.

GSD with a fun team

ProsVery transparent exec staff. There are many opportunities to grow and learn. The culture is open, fun, down to earth and a get stuff done attitude.

ConsBehind in some aspects of the product where we need to catch up to our competitors. A lot of new employees, so there is a learning curve to ramp up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going in the same direction. All the change is welcome and positive.

Rebrand to be relevant.

Customer Support (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsCool location and good benefits. Campbell gym and onsite gym are really convenient.

ConsFix your internal problems and infrastructure. The same problems persist for the last 2 years and continue to plague their customer base. If you are going to enter the cloud space and be relevant make sure you have the infrastructure to back it up. (Pun intended)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being cheap and pay for quality A players in Engineering and in Support. Too many middle management and too many meetings, too much talking and not enough execution.

Individual in a Crowded Space

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsGreat work environment
    Management works hard to get to know every employee personally and to listen to your suggestions

ConsNot a very clear career path in certain departments
    Crowded space. not always easy to differentiate yourself

Great people, solid technology

SMB Sales (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsWell Managed, good colleagues to work with, always learning

Consvery busy all the time

Advice to Senior Managementgood luck

Worked for Hightail? Contribute to the Community!