Hightail

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.1

Ranjith Kumaran

Pros
  • Lots of flexibility to help achieve that work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• A fun company to work at b4 the ousting of Brad Garlinghouse (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management is clueless on what it takes to run a company (in 4 reviews)

• Previous CEO was focussed on building products and new CEO is focussed on building his brand than building the company name and products (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hightail is floundering

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Its in a hot space
    - They are desparate and will over promote to retain people.
    - Claims of culture

Cons

- The company does not invest in engineering
    - It is sinking, losing engineers and PMs everyday.
    - Top leadership is inexperienced and completely disconnected from reality. Hoping they can do some PR stunts and sell more software
    - Lacking a technical leader (new CTO is non-technical)

If you are unable to stay grounded please get someone grounded and listen to that person

Great company. Great people. Great opportunity.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I joined Hightail, I joined for the people, the role and the opportunity. I am pleased to report after almost a year into the role, I have no regrets. Hightail hosts an amazing team at all levels of the organization. It is a company full of very smart and passionate people - quite humbling.

In addition, the management team is to notch and earnestly wants insights and feedback from the team. There is an open dialogue, regardless of level, which is very refreshing.

Cons

Like everyone in the space, we are trying to do a lot, and there are just not enough hours in the day.

Great work. Focus is critical.

Awesome experience

I have been working at Hightail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great office atmosphere, have to opportunity to utilize SF office space.
    - Frequent communications to employees about the happenings of the company from all departments
    - cool perks, including my favorite "get sh*t done" weeks
    - Great relationship with team members, work well and can be open with them about anything

Cons

the re brand of the company had provided some challenges but an overall needed choice for the growth of the company, definitely a move in the right direction.

Challenging, rewarding experience!!

I have been working at Hightail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hightail is a very fun, cool place to work. The company competes in a very hot, explosive growth market and is considered a strong leader in the space. Hightail is run by a management team that genuinely cares about its employees and encourages open communication and dialogue. Since the company is on the grow, there are lots of opportunities for professional growth.

What I love most about Hightail is the culture and its values. The company has an amazing culture that fosters interaction among various groups--if you are willing to participate. In addition to some of the best benefits in Silicon Valley, Hightail provides employees with Free Lunch Mondays, Beer Cart Fridays, Happy Hours, Ice Cream Socials, Ping Pong/Beer Pong Tournaments, Holiday Parties (amazing gifts), Softball, Charitable Involvement (yes, a Silicon Valley company with a heart), etc.

If you love a fast-paced, team-oriented environment where you can truly make a difference, Hightail is a great place to be!

Cons

In my opinion, the company tends to "over communicate" its strengths and challenges to the employees. This is great for most people; not so great for others.

Absolutely love this place!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the team is pretty amazing. The leadership team is motivated, very transparent and communicates more regularly with employees than any other company I've worked at - both small and large. There are offices both in the south bay (Campbell) and in San Francisco. The space that Hightail is in (cloud file sharing) is red hot at the moment which is exciting and I love my boss!

Cons

So much to do in a day and never enough time but I like being busy.

Keep doing what you're doing and so glad that you're not afraid to get rid of the dead weight.

Great people, great culture, great company

I have been working at Hightail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big enough to feel like you're really going places. Small enough to have a real impact. Lots of really smart, interesting and hard-working people with a mandate to be bold and try new things. Good work is always recognized and the HR team has a real commitment to ensuring everyone is developing personally. Plus, free food, fun perks and great parties.

Cons

It's a competitive industry so you're constantly on your toes. Actually that's only a con if you think that having to overcome new challenges is a bad thing.

Face Paced

I have been working at Hightail

Pros

The location is great!

Cons

High turn over of staff, no work life balance, too much change of company direction from management.

Exciting Space

I have been working at Hightail full-time

Pros

Hightail is one of the hottest spaces right now in tech. It is fun to be in a competitive environment. I love the people I work with. I am excited to come into work every day. Everyone is very helpful and just eager to get the job done.

Cons

This is a very competitive space, so you need to work very hard to make sure Hightail stays relevant. There are a ton of initiatives we need to accomplish this year, so this place is not for people that are looking to take it easy.

n/a

Overall Positive Experience at YouSendit

Former Employee - Product Leader in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Product Leader in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

YouSendit, now Hightail builds and delivers a much needed technology product suite focused on collaboration with files. They have a hard to match set of functionality that included electronic signatures and very strong Microsoft Outlook integration. While the staff has changed considerably since I was there, the team was a strong enthusiastic one.

Cons

Since that time, Hightail has put a new executive team in place. Focus on market expansion by extending the product line has seemed to stall. Growth has slowed and they are in a much more competitive market with entrants like Google Drive.

Return to growth strategy and focus less on traditional brand marketing.

Hightail = High School = A Vicious Cycle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, talented, and hard working people. Good space to be in. Lots of opportunity and growth. Tons of fun stuff scheduled for the employees throughout the year like massages, weekly lunches, movies, company picnic, beer cart on Fridays, free coffee on Mondays at Barefoot, and "unlimited" PTO.

Cons

The culture and its values is like a beautiful house built on top of a graveyard. There are more people leaving than getting hired every day. It's like high school with all the drama. We all know what the problems and issues are (incompetent people, bad environments, constant reorg, lack of transparency, bad processes, nepotism), but Mgmt. seems to be wearing their rosy colored glasses on full time. They're either ignoring the problems and hoping it'll solve itself or it's not being addressed properly.

If you're fostering a feedback culture, please listen, pay attention to those around you, and take corrective actions.