Highwinds Reviews

Steve Miller

1. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Android Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Android Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Highwinds (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great benefits, collaborative team.

Cons

Had some issues with employee retention and turnover.

2. Understaffed, underpaid and overqualified

I worked at Highwinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people there are pretty great

Cons

When I worked there, they were losing employees so quickly that the whole team was providing 24/7 coverage with 8 employees. This led to a total crisis if anyone ever called in sick. During this crisis some employees were expected to work weekends, even working for multiple weeks at a stretch without a day off. The management here expects employees to have an extremely high level of technical proficiency. However, once you start working 99% of what you do is deal with credit card issues.

Advice to Management

My main advice would be to create a new Tier 2 support position and promote everyone currently on the team to that position. Then hire another group of employees during regular business hours without the high level of technical skill to handle the flood of credit card declines, billing issues and cancellations. Let the technical people do what they are good at which is handling complex technical problems.

3. Highwinds provides the opportunity for personal and professional growth. Each day is an opportunity to learn more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Highwinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, ability to grown within the company and how much Managers and the company as a whole care about their employees and how they incorporate family into events.

Cons

I have not yet had a negative experience while being with the company. Each employee brings their own skills, talents and personality to the team.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the presence of our Executives at small company socials as well a companywide events. It shows that with the growth of the company the culture remains the same.

5. Good place to learn how Internet works

I worked at Highwinds

Pros

The people are fun to work with. Talented Developers. Decent work-life balance.

Cons

Company tried to do 100 things at once. Admirable, but was difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

Focus on building employee career paths. Focus on tasks that build business value. Hire more Product Managers.

6. Good for some positions, not for others

I worked at Highwinds full-time

Pros

-Tech type perks/parties, food etc -Stable employment for certain positions -Good people -Small company feel

Cons

-Parties can't replace other missing items -No advancement, certain people get great treatment, pay/etc -Others are just left to do the job...no concern for moving up -High turnover in certain depts...mgt changes direction a lot -Small company feel, culture -Mgt is ok, not sure they have knowledge needed

7. I've learned more at Highwinds than anywhere else

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Highwinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Getting to work with the latest technologies. * Everyone is empowered to improve the customer experience. * Everyone's opinion matters. * Highwinds knows when to let an opportunity go if it is not advantageous or would distract from the current direction. * Most employees are very nice and helpful; all the negatives have been pruned!

Cons

There's not a lot to say in the downside department * Maximum of three weeks of vacation but should be more like four or five for hitting milestones like five or ten years. * It's a lean shop so there's more to do than time to do it. Employees must be good at prioritizing and not get disillusioned by having to delay or drop lower priority tasks.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There were a couple of rocky years but kudos on recognizing and correcting the situation.

8. Highwinds was a fast paced growning company untill they changed senior management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Highwinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open to new ideas, improving customer experience and meeting customer needs. Moving forward and expanding to meet customer needs. A place that was fun to work at and grow.

Cons

Management problems when I was there caused a reduction in staff and made the work harder and the environment less positive. I had heard it had changed but that was several years ago. I would say, if you are interested in the company, approach with caution.

Advice to Management

I was laid off along with a significant number of staff. The management has changed I hope for the better.

9. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Highwinds

Pros

Highwinds is very customer and employee centric. This, in turn, makes the employees want to work harder and increases internal productivity. Some of the smartest people ive ever met work for Highwinds and theres truly a bright future ahead.

Cons

Growing pains may occur while Highwinds takes on more and more marketshare. Continuing to hire awesome and smart talent will be important.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of bringing on the best talent and re-investing monies back into the company and employees.

10. I love my job!

I have been working at Highwinds

Pros

Highwinds has the perfect combination of everything I look for in a career opportunity: Financial stability, fun, friendly atmosphere, positive work culture, and room for advancement.

Cons

I really don't have any "Cons" to add to this section. I have nothing negative to say about Highwinds or about working for Highwinds.

Upper management is a circus act.

I worked at Highwinds

Pros

Flexible schedule to say the least

Cons

policy shift every 3 weeks compensation plan

RSS Feed </> Embed