Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mell Vaughan III

Alas, HRH is no more.

Internal Audit Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsFun, smart people. Good salary and benefits.

ConsCompany was bought by Willis Group Holdings and HRH home office was dissolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck in your future endeavors.

Personal Growth

Management (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsFinancially strong organization. Diversified across the country, large organization which allowed for advancement. Profitable industry leads to a strong company.

ConsCompany sold to Willis so no longer exists. I have heard the culture of Willis is different from that of HRH but have no personal experience since I left before the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has dispersed to different organizations. A few may have gone to Willis.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood place if you are motivated

ConsSmall shop, resources lacking compared to big shops

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small Raises & most employees paid below the average at other companies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFamily atmoshpere however some years no raises were give and letting employee leave 30 minutes early was the trade off.

Consnot a lot of room for moving up in the company. Even if you have been in the company for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees don't feel important they will leave & probably get paid more money. This company does not appreciate their employees.

Strong, large company with small business attitudes!

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsI'm not sure I would call them the best reasons to work for Hilb Rogal & Hobbs (HRH). Rather, i'd like to say they were the most tolerable reasons. The lower-level account managers and consultants were enjoyable and generally, really nice, as well as my peers. It's when you go to the Director, VP, Pres level and above where the true colors show. In any case, their benefits package was slightly above average, which is expected since part of our company's service offerings is Employee Benefits. One good thing was that I was offered out of town training, which was good, but yet too rare of an occasion.

ConsThere were several downsides that I experience during my time here at HRH. Now this may be a very specific situation since my supervisor isn't exactly what all perspective employees will face, but this person was very very condescending and openly a micro manager. For me, I cannot work effectively and efficiently with micro-managers. It was so bad that it got to a point where my supervisor would have other workers in the office watch and write down the times that people left for lunch and returned to ensure they weren't taking more than an hour. Yes, i can see if someone starts to abuse the hour and takes an extra 20-30 minutes consistently, however, once in a while (in my opinion), if someone takes an extra 10-15minutes, BUT stays an extra 20-30, no big deal. To be honest, if the job gets done and done correctly, then who really cares? In all fairness, this is my management belief. It was way worse than that. I am pretty sure I developed my case for high blood pressure due to the stress of my superior.

The knowledge of management was unparalled. I never once doubted their intelligence or experience, but when you openly condescend someone in the middle of the open office, it doesn't do well for morale and is just plain unprofessional. If you need to discipline someone, take them into a private office or meeting room and discuss it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice and feedback can be summarized into one phrase: "RESPECT your employees and they will in turn follow you to the ends of the earth." Cheesy? Maybe, but at least for me, if my boss takes care of me, you better know i'll take care of him/her.

Great Company

Anonymous' (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsDiversity, great benefits, growth opportunities.

ConsOffice space, publically traded companies are slow to make changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to work from home to save gas.

A good place to start, but not to finish

Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible time schedule/holiday schedule
    Opportunity to learn and advance
    OK pay

ConsManagment uninterested in what workers had to say

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome proactive listeners in interactions with employees.

Worked for Hilb Rogal & Hobbs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hilb Rogal & Hobbs CEO Mell Vaughan III. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Hilb Rogal & Hobbs employees.