Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Mell Vaughan III

Alas, HRH is no more.

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, smart people. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Company was bought by Willis Group Holdings and HRH home office was dissolved.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Personal Growth

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Financially strong organization. Diversified across the country, large organization which allowed for advancement. Profitable industry leads to a strong company.

Cons

Company sold to Willis so no longer exists. I have heard the culture of Willis is different from that of HRH but have no personal experience since I left before the change.

Management has dispersed to different organizations. A few may have gone to Willis.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Pros

Good place if you are motivated

Cons

Small shop, resources lacking compared to big shops

Small Raises & most employees paid below the average at other companies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Pros

Family atmoshpere however some years no raises were give and letting employee leave 30 minutes early was the trade off.

Cons

not a lot of room for moving up in the company. Even if you have been in the company for years.

If employees don't feel important they will leave & probably get paid more money. This company does not appreciate their employees.

Strong, large company with small business attitudes!

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Pros

I'm not sure I would call them the best reasons to work for Hilb Rogal & Hobbs (HRH). Rather, i'd like to say they were the most tolerable reasons. The lower-level account managers and consultants were enjoyable and generally, really nice, as well as my peers. It's when you go to the Director, VP, Pres level and above where the true colors show. In any case, their benefits package was slightly above average, which is expected since part of our company's service offerings is Employee Benefits. One good thing was that I was offered out of town training, which was good, but yet too rare of an occasion.

Cons

There were several downsides that I experience during my time here at HRH. Now this may be a very specific situation since my supervisor isn't exactly what all perspective employees will face, but this person was very very condescending and openly a micro manager. For me, I cannot work effectively and efficiently with micro-managers. It was so bad that it got to a point where my supervisor would have other workers in the office watch and write down the times that people left for lunch and returned to ensure they weren't taking more than an hour. Yes, i can see if someone starts to abuse the hour and takes an extra 20-30 minutes consistently, however, once in a while (in my opinion), if someone takes an extra 10-15minutes, BUT stays an extra 20-30, no big deal. To be honest, if the job gets done and done correctly, then who really cares? In all fairness, this is my management belief. It was way worse than that. I am pretty sure I developed my case for high blood pressure due to the stress of my superior.

The knowledge of management was unparalled. I never once doubted their intelligence or experience, but when you openly condescend someone in the middle of the open office, it doesn't do well for morale and is just plain unprofessional. If you need to discipline someone, take them into a private office or meeting room and discuss it.

My advice and feedback can be summarized into one phrase: "RESPECT your employees and they will in turn follow you to the ends of the earth." Cheesy? Maybe, but at least for me, if my boss takes care of me, you better know i'll take care of him/her.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous' in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous' in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Pros

Diversity, great benefits, growth opportunities.

Cons

Office space, publically traded companies are slow to make changes.

Allow people to work from home to save gas.

A good place to start, but not to finish

Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager

I worked at Hilb Rogal & Hobbs

Pros

Flexible time schedule/holiday schedule
    Opportunity to learn and advance
    OK pay

Cons

Managment uninterested in what workers had to say

Become proactive listeners in interactions with employees.