Hill International

I am Resident Project Manager

Current Employee - Residet Project Manager
    Current Employee - Residet Project Manager

I have been working at Hill International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No one withi the Hill maagement is against using your prio project experiences to solve Problems on current Project as long as it was a possitive out come to that project ad can be used on Present Project

Cons

Hill is a large Corporation with 4,000 + employees there is not much oe on one commuication even with HR every thig has to be doe by computer. If you have worked in a smaller orgaization Hill will be hard to adapt to quickly.

Become more involved with your lower management.

Hill International is the biggest "Good Ole' Boys Club"

I worked at Hill International (more than 8 years)

Pros

Their salary compensation is competitive if you happen to be male.

Cons

In my experience, one of the biggest challenges of working for Hill International is discrimination against female workers. There are many who are promoted above their actual qualifications. There are many in upper management who turn a blind eye to female employees being harassed. There are no repercussions for any male colleague who harasses, belittles, and verbally and/or written abuse of a female colleague or staff.

Specific upper management continues to lose projects bid on because of their lack of skills and knowledge. There are those in upper management positions who look down on women, do not value any contributions made by female professionals, have systematically run off very qualified, high performing, professional women. Corporate Management of each business group seems to turn a blind eye to those who are under delivering, riding on the coat tales of others accomplishments and who diminish those beneath them.

This is an International company but the positions held at the Corporate level are by those who may not be best qualified to run the company as a global contender. They manage each department function as if it were a company of 100 or less. The contacts at the Corporate Office in Marlboro behave as if they are "Above" all others in the company, answer to no one, and are many times unprofessional to those in the outlaying offices. Nepotism = Many of the corporate employees are either related to one another, having inappropriate relationships with others and/or are highly connected so it is "Implied" no one should cross this person. Leadership and Management skills on every level is weak at best!

The "Good Ole' Boys Network/Club" across all business lines is ripe for a good discrimination suit. I am a seasoned professional and Hill International was the first company where I received a good look at what the "Good Ole' Boys Club" really means. You have people in management who basically have "No Skills" other than returning phone calls weeks/months later and delegating all of their responsibilities to others. They are simply kept in their positions because of the their business contacts or a lucrative project is renewed because of this incompetent, divisive individual.
    A closer examination and shake-up of many of the key management roles would yield much progress for this company.
    The Marlon Management Team does not even seem to be aware they are running the company as if it were a 50-100 person company. It's 2014 and technology has advanced.

Just another number getting opressed from above

Current Employee - QA/QC Manager in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - QA/QC Manager in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Hill International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

salary was fair and benefits good with profit sharing

Cons

In my opinion I was blocked from a lateral move because they wouldn't release me. Just another number.

Take better care of human resources and be recept of suggestions for improvement. Just because you are the top management and make a top salary doesn't mean the company is sustainable. You could be next.

Very poor management

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hill International full-time

Pros

Salary is ok but there is nothing to do. A strange environment and to see those who survive do it by holding information and sharing very little.

Cons

No future. There needs to be something done quickly. Too many good resources simply are not engaged with. There is a terrible level of apathy.

Engage with your staff. Recommend 360's done on the SVPs by neutral / external firms/ websites.

Frustrating lack of communication and organization.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Hill International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most everyone I have worked with outside of senior management has been accommodating, supportive and professional.

Cons

Marlton leadership is very poor, there is no real co-ordination of efforts, resources and challenges except for sales meetings. There are actual efforts to sabotage other offices. Great resources are being poorly utilized.

Replace President of Americas

Terrific company, world leader in construction management and construction claims

I have been working at Hill International

Pros

High profile projects, some of the biggest and most challenging in the world
    Global presence, you can work just about anywhere in the world
    Company is growing, and there are big opportunities for professional development

Cons

Not a place for beginners, you need to hit the ground running

Keep up the great work

Great people, but management needs improvement.

I have been working at Hill International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the particulars of my role. Also feels good to be a part of a company that is involved in high profile projects. Typical 8-5 job so creates a great work/life balance.

Cons

Hill has a lot of nepotism, so if that bothers you I suggest this is not the company for you. Management also needs assistance in creating a sense of unity and cohesion among employees of different departments.

AWFUL COMPANY!!!

Current Employee - "Engineering" in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - "Engineering" in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hill International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The medical benefits are excellent. The 401K matching was stopped on us for almost a year AND ARE SUBJECT TO STOP AGAIN. Other benefits are not great.

Cons

Where do I start? I work in California, I have watched for the last few years, upper management in the offices sit back and do nothing about unethical practices and deception on proposals, RFP / RFQ's. They bait and switch nearly every project they go after, stacking the same Employees as heading up projects and Management of PM work. They are run by "the good old boys club" and if you are not part of it,, get out of their way because your days will be numbered. I have watched them turn on numerous high quality employees from project managers to Construction Engineers, to receptionists. My years on at this company have been very tough sitting back and watching such bright and talented people come in and then leave either by their own misery or the misery management bestows upon them. It is very sad because this company just doesn't care. You are just a number. You can be bringing in a lot of money to them for years and out of nowhere, they can turn on you and run you out. The Marlton people are even worse. Having to work for them in a remote office is impossible. Calling at all hours to check on you, denying you breaks, lunch periods because you are obligated to be at your desk every minute of every day. This company lies so much on proposals about the qualifications and severely overstates the qualifications of those that are "connected" and breaks nearly every law to get projects. DO NOT WORK HERE! Not if you want piece of mind.

Fire your VP's and find some ethical people who can be held accountable for all the projects the loose from the lies they make up. They loose so much work because they are so unethical and lie to extremes in resumes, proposals, credentials...You have to care more about everyone instead of backing your VP's who are so very despised by so many people. Get out of your offices and get out and see how unhappy people are to work for Hill. Look at how low your rating is, that should TELL YOU SOMETHING!

Good place to get my book read.

Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hill International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice office, great Atlanta team of coworkers.

Cons

Nobody is trying to get projects, no dedicated business development person for Atlanta.

Serious management issues ruining an otherwise great company

I have been working at Hill International full-time

Pros

Strong benefits package although the economy and poor business decisions have eroded it somewhat. Technology is cutting-edge. Friendly co-workers. Large base of projects and employees. When there is work, the good times roll.

Cons

Micro-managers, behind-the-back sniping, lack of true leadership. Firm should be doing well but is not holding up to competition. Business development all but non-existent in some regions. Does not consider the client's wants/needs and in several cases, has ruined relationship with them. If you do not work in HQ, you do not exist. Lies and CYAs abound.

Allow more freedom at the regional level. Not all divisions operate the same way, so give them the ability to grow as they see fit. Try some 360 reviews - managers don't get reviewed by their direct reports and so management is missing half of the picture.

Hill International Photos