Hill + Knowlton Reviews

Reset
3.6
Hill + Knowlton Chairman and CEO Jack Martin
Jack Martin

Pros
  • I was at H&K for three years of incredible highs and also terrible downs (in 13 reviews)

• If you make it known that you want to grow, senior management will really take the time to give advice and mentor you (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is verbally encouraged but they don't really mean it (in 10 reviews)

• H&K as a result has suffered in retaining and winning business (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Major positive impact on my career growth

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at H+K as an intern 7 years ago and have been granted opportunities to work on various projects within various departments, giving me the greatest learning, development and promotion experiences. One of the biggest day to day impacts is working with a great team, who cares about the work we do and contributes to a positive, collaborative, supportive, and goal oriented work environment. Management is always open to and encourages new ideas, improvements and ways to make projects more creative. Also, H+K has put significant time and effort into delivering new industry leading benefits for 2015, including a fitness subsidy, paid time off, training, awards, flexible work schedules and a global mentoring program. The work-life balance has been a major plus for me, and something that would be more difficult to find elsewhere.

Cons

Since H+K is part of WPP Group, it can occasionally take more time than expected for certain approvals. However, H+K Management does everything they can to relay information quickly and as it comes from our parent company.

Advice to Management

Keep consistently evaluating and implementing best practices in the industry, as you are doing!

2. Assistant Account Executive

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

We have phenomenal benefits that far and exceed the industry average. That said, there are no better people to work with.

Cons

There are still some merger pains, however we have an amazing C-Suite and noticeable changes are literally happening on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Internal communication at an office level could be improved. That said, there are a lot of changes that should make a positive impact on this in the near future.

3. Challenge = Opportunity

Former Employee - SAS in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SAS in New York, NY

I worked at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

Committed to hiring people who understand and have meaningful experience in "the real world," rather than just knowing how to do PR. Working to bring employee/workplace programs & benefits in line with current best practices. Top leadership is very accessible and encourages/welcomes feedback and input from all levels.

Cons

Lack of consistent leadership and clear vision in recent years. High turnover in both employees and clients. Salaries are below those of similar size agencies, and promotions and raises are difficult to achieve due largely to revenue issues. Low morale.

Advice to Management

Follow through with the strategies and plans announced last year. Support employee growth. Keep listening to your people.

Senior Vice President

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

The companies reputation and smart, well connected leadership helps ensure opportunities to work on impressive brands, companies, issues, etc. I sometimes can't believe all I've had a chance to do and have been exposed to! If you are smart, motivated and willing to roll up your sleeves and work you will do well here. If not, you may get by for a while but eventually you will be weeded out.

Cons

Whenever you are in a client relations/consulting business, the hours are dictated by them, your clients. A good agency recognizes this. H+K has made great strides to improve work life balance but it eventually comes down to your clients needs and deadlines. Any agency who tells you otherwise, is lying to you or not keeping clients long if they aren't willing to respond to them when needed outside of the "regular" business hours.

Advice to Management

I think H+K is on the right path. Continue with what you are doing. And great new hire to run the DC office!!!

6. Interesting Career Opportunity

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time at H+K I have had the opportunity to work on some challenging and rewarding projects. I continue to be impressed with the trust that senior management has given me to accomplish on my own, yet they are always available to provide counsel and advice if I need it. I can't say enough about the amazing talent at all levels of H+K. You can always find a subject matter expert (no matter the subject matter!) with the deep experience of H+Kers across the network.

Cons

As with other client driven companies, deadlines and customer demands drive work hours. The parent company, WPP, can also pose some procedural challenges, but management does do their best to provide transparency and reduce any impact to employees.

Advice to Management

I am really impressed with the new 2015 benefit perks and mentor program. I can't wait to see more programs like these, as well as some of the new training modules soon to be available.

7. Urgently needs to get its act together.

I worked at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

City location. Some friendly staff.

Cons

High turnover. DIsorganized. Clients constantly overcharged. Management that does not stand up for its staff.

VP

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hill + Knowlton full-time

Pros

Variety of clients across many sectors. Some really smart, experienced, ambitious people at all levels. Recent improvement of benefits in last year or two. Loads of training programs related to PR and Media Relations skills.

Cons

Constant turnover of leadership in last 2-3 years has led to no real vision for what sort of company they want to be. Middle-level leadership has little power, leading to inconsistent policies and practices from office to office. Has become very political. Oversight from global parent company regarding geographical offices P&Ls has become the stifling. Accounting red-tape is growing. No incentive for offices to collaborate. Client work and team collaboration across offices is suffering.

Advice to Management

Forget individual office P&Ls. Take pressure off Office GMs to meet a number, and collaboration between geographies will return the benefits of what is promised as a global company, but operates as competing geographic offices.

9. Two offices, 15 years... one great career!

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

I have worked with H+K Strategies for over 15 years and in two U.S. offices. I had no idea when I joined the firm as an Account Executive that I'd stay so long or work on so many great clients. One day my work could lead me to a construction site in southern Georgia where I was part of a house crew on a Habitat for Humanity house and the next it was to New York City where I was part of a team that received two Silver Anvil awards for a ground-breaking campaign we developed for a client. The sky is the limit here. You have to work hard, but my experience has showed me that H+K really does give back as much as it gets from you -- and vice versa.

I also had no idea that after 4 years of working in one office, life would pull me to a new market and that the H+K office there would accept me with open arms and create even more opportunities to grow and excel. Being part of a global company also has its perks. The access to staff in almost every country in the world... the interesting perspectives we share with each other -- and the wealth of knowledge -- and the sheer talent is truly impressive.

The last point I'll make is that recently the firm also rolled out some new policies that really are industry leading. If you are looking for a firm that offers a lot, we have certainly upped our game on that front -- from being somewhat behind the times to now being out in front. Every day things like a day off for your birthday or a monthly gym subsidy to the big policies that you need maybe once or twice in a lifetime but when you need them, boy do you need them. How about 16 weeks of PAID maternity leave?! Then there's also work from home options, a decent amount of paid holidays...even a sabbatical option after five years... How many companies can say they offer these things, much less a large, global PR firm?

Cons

There has been a lot of transition at the senior level over the past few years, but things appear to be on stable ground now with a great new U.S. CEO who genuinely has the best interest of the firm and its people at heart. Being part of a large, publicly trade company also makes it difficult for consistent raises and promotions when we are tied to global financials, but that is no different than many other agencies.

Advice to Management

Keep communications open with the staff, continue to be transparent. Continue to invest in more training and keep a constant focus on "people first" -- great client work with result!

10. Hill + Knowlton Strategies is a great place to get experience and start your career in PR and communications.

I have been working at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

There are great training and development programs as well as everyone gives you an opportunity to be part of the team whether you are an intern or just starting out.

Cons

There has been a lot of transition over the last few years, but new employees wouldn't be affected.

11. Good until the merger with Public Strategies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hill + Knowlton

Pros

Great clients, great people, fantastic opportunities to learn as much about public relations and client service as you could.

Cons

Long hours, turnover at the highest levels, not the same place after merging with Public Strategies. Became an old boys club.

RSS Feed </> Embed