Hill Manufacturing

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marc Rugi

A great opportunity for those who are self starters

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHill Manufacturing, like their competitors such as for example Momar and State (both of whom I've worked for and been a top performer) is a great specialty chemical manufacturer with a broad range of superior products, suitable for a myriad of industries. I find their lubricant line in particular to be exceptional in both variety offered and product quality, eclipsing the similar offerings of the aforementioned contenders. Unlike most specialty chemical manufacturers, Hill focuses on getting the rep up to speed as fast as possible and they offer a competitive draw package for peace of mind in the process. My manager has been extremely supportive as I experienced health issues throughout the past few months. The business atmosphere at Hill is relaxed and the support is exceptional. To put it bluntly if you can get your a$$ out of bed and enjoy meeting people, this is a great opportunity to make good money while gathering new friends in the process. For those of you who commented negatively, in my opinion you are either extremely lazy, or perhaps should not have been in sales in the first place.

ConsNone! Hill is a great company and has been ever since their founding in 1930. It is a great career opportunity for those of you who were born with the ability to sell.

Not Enough Time To Be Successful

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood product, price flexibility, good commission structure and good training videos.

ConsThe company needs to tell sales reps upfront they will have only six weeks...that's right..six weeks to establish relationships and repeat business from customers. The amount you are expected to sell at the end of six weeks is unrealistic for a commodity item like Hills sells. This is a commodity sale. The customer does not perceive enough difference between brands to warrant making a change. It is a relationship sell, not a "buy or cry" cold call sell. It will be next to impossible to sell the amount Hills wants you to sell in six weeks especially since you will be using your own resources to prospect for customers to sell to. Then you will be let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the whole truth when hiring sales reps, not just part. Sales reps need to know before they get in the interview process how much you expect them to be selling within six weeks, and that they will be gone if they don't meet that amount. Let them know they need to sign a non-compete. Let them know it will be up to them to find prospects in their territory. Most experienced reps will walk when they understand these requirements. For those that decide to continue the process, you will not be wasting their time or yours with a six week turnover rate.

Worked there for 4 years - learned a lot

Industrial Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsLearned sales basics that helped me get a management job elsewhere.
    Liked the people i worked with.
    Good office support.
    Innovative products.

ConsThe first year takes a lot of work, but it paid off.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Atlanta, GA

ProsCompensation is excellent. Support from management. Family owned business.

ConsMust work everyday and have a nack for selling to industrial accounts

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving the one on one support

terrific opportunity to have your "own" business and deal with great customers for great USA corp.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIf u perform they leave u alone to prosper; closeness with many customers;friendly company; and company knows family & your health is first. Good support if u request.

ConsNot all is great and sometime very few products don't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good product quality!!

Stay away from this company!

Outside Industrial Chemical Sales (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThis is outside sales- a work from home office position- the only good thing about this job!

ConsThere is no formal training- they give you a DVD to watch that only talks about a few of their products- they have hundreds of chemicals to sell. You are expected to sell at least $1000.00 a week the first week you start. Your salary of $500.00 a week is contingent on whether you sell that amount- you never know whether you are going to get paid or not. Every month your sales quota will go up $500.00. They allow no time to develop and grow accounts. Any sales professional knows that it takes time to nurture and develop relationships with your customers. Commission starts after you sell the required quota every month and there is no commission paid on the quota amount. None of this was disclosed during the interview process- just at hire when you had to sign a long, detailed contract to work for them. They initially tell you that you will recieve a weekly salary of $500.00 plus commission- which makes you think you will get commission on everything you sell- not true. They send you a load of chemicals to use for demos and gifts to give to customers when you first start- after that you have to purchase all of your products. You also have to send everything back to them upon leaving the company or they will charge you $600.00. It would take several hundred dollars or more to send back all of those heavy chemicals. I believe they just use people to test markets which doesn't speak much for the integrity of the organization. Stay away from this company unless you don't care about long term employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a formal training program- how about at the corporate office so you learn all about the organization. Invest some time and $ in the employees you hire so they fully understand the business and the products. Don't just send them out on the street to sell without the proper knowledge. Why would you want account execs representing your company in this manner? Doesn't speak well for your organization. Allow a reasonable learning curve so your sales reps can build those business relationships and change the career section on your website to say that you don't care about your employees!

Hill let's me be my own boss! They have great products! I like calling on industrial customers.

Territory Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMy income is only limited by what I can produce. They have a great mix of industrial products which have great demonstrations to help you sell. High commissions. Monthly repeat sales to customers. No overnight travel. Job security if I produce. I did not have to have a technical background. They ship fast. They always pay commission on time

ConsThe burden is mostly on the Rep to learn the product line.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change your commission structure!

Company okay but expect a lot of you right away

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsSolid Products and the ability to make your own schedule

Constoo high expectaions for new rep, want sales made by dropping in on business but no appointments made

Advice to Senior ManagementGive reps a chance to prove what they can do before you cut them for not making 3 sales per day in their first 2 months

Worked for Hill Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hill Manufacturing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hill Manufacturing CEO Marc Rugi . All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Hill Manufacturing employees.