Hill Mechanical Group

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014

2.1

Robert Krier

Hard work but great rewards!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

A strong and stable company that is well positioned in the market to continue to grow and prosper. Which means long term job security. A true dedication at all levels of the company to Continuous Improvement.
    Great people both in and out of the office. A strong bonus program that has been proven over the years to reward the hard work of Hill’s employees. Management truly seems to care about the employees.
    I have worked with Hill for several years and I hope to remain here for the rest of my career. There is a feeling of loyalty and a sense of team that I do not think exists in many other companies or in many other industries. Service specifically has a great young core in and out of the office that I look forward to working with for many years.

Hill has proven for many years that they will reward their employees. However, you do have to earn it. But the good news is that THEY WANT TO PAY YOU! They would not hire you if they did not want you to become a profitable contributing member of the group. If you put in the time and the effort you will get those rewards. You have the potential to earn more than double the industry average for this position. But if you expect to be paid just for showing up, this is not the company for you.

Cons

Management expects a lot from the employees. That pressure does make work/life balance difficult. But it is not impossible. I have found that by working smart and efficiently and planning ahead that you can have good work/life balance. I put in my time every day and still find a way to eat dinner and spend time with my wife and kids almost every night.

Management really is dedicated to continuous improvement. And an incredible amount of work is put into identifying weakness and finding solutions. But this work is not always well communicated to the company as a whole. I think that a lot of this work goes unnoticed and is therefore misunderstood and unappreciated. Improved communication would go a long way.

The bonus program, though effective, should be more transparent. The lack of transparency is acceptable if you have tasted those rewards, but it is more difficult for new Account Managers who are just working on building their base. The Junior program also needs work if they are going to continue to attract and keep top talent. The current generation of college grads have different expectations for career growth and stability and like it or not the company may need to adapt if it wants to be able continue to effectively recruit.

Keep working on those improvements. Increase communication and transparency. Find a way to make the Junior program more attractive to a new and different generation of employee. And keep making the good business decisions that have defined the company over the years!

Old time company values... (that's not a compliment)

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Decent benefits, great projects etc... The general direction of the company seems to be heading in the right direction. Compensation was ok. I feel like the company is always trying to re-invent itself which is rare these days. Every year, they add a new division to the company which will lead to company growth.

Working here for 1-2 years will improve your project resume which helps when you leave.

The newer recruits to the company are great and I learned a lot from them. I believe that these relationships will remain through out my career.

Cons

I was only at Hill for a short time, but I noticed some pretty big Cons... First for me would be the derogatory and negative comments by upper management. Upper management often said politically incorrect phrases to me, gave offensive nicknames to employees or made harassing remarks about minority and female employees. Some examples are: using the N-Word, constantly using 'gay' as an insult, spreading false rumors about women in the office as being promiscuous (etc...). A lot of this was done by senior account execs, senior PM's etc... This is part of the company culture.

As I said in the 'Pros' section, compensation was ok. However I did not receive much of a raise. I learned later that it was because I didn't push hard enough for one. So if you are reviewed by management, you need to push really hard for a raise no matter what the review says. The reviews are more of a test of confidence at Hill than measurement of performance. (Though it was partially my fault that I didn't get a raise, it didn't end up helping either party as another company ended up giving me that raise)

Each department has baggage from an engineering stand-point. The Operations(or environmental services division) often runs buildings in an extremely inefficient way. The engineering side is typically run more from a project management perspective than an engineering perspective which leads to lots of issues with the end user. The service department works with both of those teams to sell fixes to projects that were done incorrectly in the first place with a significant mark-up.

I would've rated the company a lot higher if it weren't for the derogatory comments. I didn't feel comfortable telling anyone this since so many people in upper management are related and have been working with Hill for many years. The company has evolved engineering wise, but the personalities are straight out of the 50's. Take away these comments, and I would've rated the company a 4 out of 5 .

Stable company, always has their employees best interests in mind when making decisions.

Pros

The people. Everyone is extremely helpful and will stop what they are doing to answer a question you have, even the President of the company. It's nice to have a positive, helpful working environment.

Cons

Long hours, but hard work pays off! There are some inefficiencies in the processes, but they are working on improving them and the differences are being noticed.

Keep making good business decisions and keeping us all employed!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unless your related to Upper Management, expect to be “Churned & Burned, and treated with little to no respect!!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

As others have rightly noted, Hill has enjoyed a very good reputation with their design build and new construction capabilities over the years. The Hill family is going into its third generation and each member of the Hill family that is actively engaged in the business is genuinely friendly, approachable, and likeable people. The apparent problem is that they have allowed their Upper Management to hijack the company and implement business procedures that promote their personal profit over principle. This, combined with the “discretionary” bonus system has promoted a recipe of nepotism and greed which was evident to me within the first week or two of employment. Unlike ALL other HVAC Mechanical contractors, Hill Mechanical has NO set commission structure or plan to compensate its hard-working Account Executives. I only wish I had heeded the advice of several industry professionals who tried to warn me of this deplorable management structure. The following is somewhat lengthy, but entirely true.

Cons

There exists a type of “caste system” where the entire company, outside of ownership, is divided into three groups. First, you have the upper management along with their sons, and brothers, etc. who walk around in a deluded state of self-importance and arrogance knowing that they control everyone else’s destiny…. and most importantly the purse strings to the pool of “discretionary” bonus funds. Every worthwhile internal sales lead, construction turnover, and account where a Hill-employed #399 building engineer is in place is skimmed and given to the Senior Account Executives related to upper management. They are so greedy that rather than spread some of their bounty; they have assistants to manage and attend to their hoard of spoon-fed accounts.
     The remaining Account Executives are assigned all other low probability, “price check” leads, and ordered around like subjects in some tyrannical little kingdom with long hours, high stress, and continual fear of losing your job as motivation.

Next in the caste system, you have a small entourage of boot lickers and “yes men” who have relinquished any remaining vestiges of their self respect in hopes of getting on the good side of the upper and middle management “family” and receiving some crumbs from the bonus pool and possible, but unlikely, career advancement.

Lastly, you have the bulk of employees at Hill who recognize the obvious unhealthy pressure cooker environment of stress, intimidation, and arrogance, but endure just to keep a paycheck rolling in to feed their families and pay their bills until they can find another job. For starters, no matter how well one does for the company their first year, there is NO consideration for a bonus. Starting into the second year you are now supposedly part of the voodoo math “discretionary” bonus system to be decided at the end of your second year. If in the unlikely event, you actually receive anything, it takes up to six months into your third year until you see the money!! Looking back in retrospect, the “discretionary bonus system” is nothing more than a pyramid scheme in which the “inside families” profit first and foremost off of everyone else’s efforts. I now believe that the upper and middle service management purposefully set out to purge Account Executives out before they eventually qualify for the “pie in the sky ” bonus knowing that they can retain most of the business that the individual brought in while leaving more in the bonus “pool” for themselves.

The field personnel have likewise recognized the downward trend within Hill caused by upper and middle managements policies and are leaving in droves. Hill has been described by the field personnel as “a stopover shop” until one finds another job with a good company. This is a very fitting term and also applies to the inside office. There is a continual revolving door of good people leaving after a year or two, finally getting fed up with the stressful work environment and the realization that only those related to upper management make any bonus money. To add insult to injury, the company offers NO 401K retirement program, only mediocre insurance, and for Account Executives within the service sales department, a monthly car allowance that is less than 1/3rd the industry standard and taxed on top of that as supplemental income!

Upper Management and their middle management relatives are the problem. The policies implemented by them bring out the worst in a business environment. The service department is steeped in a culture of nepotism and greed where middle management has no people skills whatsoever and instead “pontificates” to the Account Executives; treating them like disposable subjects rather than associates.

My advice to the Hill Family: I was told that for decades this company grew on a principle of industry professionalism and treating its employees as its most valuable asset. The subsequent growth and wealth were well deserved. Now, a select few within your management team have abandoned that principle and instead are focused entirely on profit for themselves and their immediate family members at the expense of all others. Unless the decision is made to change back to the founding principles that treated all employees fairly and recognized them as people with value, the 75+ year Hill legacy means nothing.

If you value your marriage and family, please do not come work here...

Pros

Once a great place to work. Lots of hardworking, loyal people. Many great connectons within the industry.

Cons

People are leaving. This place has changed from a "Mom & Pop" or "Family" oriented atmosphere to a corporate mentality in a relatively short amount of time. People used to be so proud of this place and really considered this an extention of their own family, now has become an atmosphere of guile, embarrassement and duplicity. The "Pyramid" scheme that is so clearly happening is directly connected to the "revolving door" effect of employees. Once upon a time this was the place to work. Now you are considered lucky if you leave and are still married. The dedication and time many have given comes at the cost of broken marriages and families. It is distressing to here the number of people who say if only I had spent more time fixing my marriage or spent time with my children as they were growing up. All you have in this world is time. When you give that up under the assumption that you are trying to provide a better life for your family, what price are you willing to pay? Many, including upper management know of this sad truth within their own lives.

There is an old saying that is applied here ---"The rich get richer and the poor get poorer... This unfortunately goes beyond monetary compensation...

You will only succeed if you are family or close friends with upper management or you sell your soul...

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Nice office, many great and hardworking people. Many good opportunities because of the name. Was once a great place to work...

Cons

Prison rules with many cliques...unhealthy, very stressful environment. Ridiculous expectations and hours with little to no ROI. No concept of balance between work and home. Many want to come to Hill because of the reputation and presence within the industry. Once in, many wonder what all the Hype is about. They want robots and not employees.

Bonus is discretionary and only doled out to those who brown nose well. They are really playing with people's livelihoods and that is unacceptable. Many depend on the bonus/commission to take care of their families. When only the "select" few receive said bonus, it makes one wonder. They cannot dangle the proverbial carrot in front of people's faces and expect people to wait, hope and pray that they get this supposed bonus. Many other companies out there pay commissions on a monthly or quarterly basis with some sort of "explainable" formula as to how they came up with the figures. Don't expect that sort of logic here.

Did I mention the nepotism?

The Hills have let others run the company and those people are really killing what used to be great. Many good employees have left. Way too many changes with no accountability on upper management's part. Perhaps its not the employees that are the problem but possibly middle to upper management?

The Hills need to re-evaluate the direction the company is going in and start focusing on what the middle to upper management group is actually doing. Good employees are usually a result of good management. It was good employees that got the Hill name its reputation. Start treating your employees like assets and not door mats or people will continue to leave.

Hill Mechanical is great at design build company but their service department is horrible to work.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Some very nice colleagues to work alongside. The name still has a good reputation because of the New Construction department. Most of the good people are leaving...

Cons

Management doesn't care about the salespeople, they only care about themselves. They make it so only the "bluebloods" get handed decent leads and the new people get the problem accounts handed to them by their manager.
    The car allowance doesn't even pay for gas let alone your car payment! Oh, the bonus (ie commission) is now discretionary... so if you are not in favor, bye-bye bonus.

As of today, seven account managers have left in the past two years! Management is either okay with this business model or inept at meeting the needs of their sales staff.

Engineering Services

Former Employee - Designer  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Designer in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Team Environment within the department, Relative Diversity, Skilled Tradesmen in Engineering Services, Great Manager, Investment in software and training

Cons

Lack of respect for tradesmen, Project Engineers varied widely, not always a team environment with tradesmen and project engineers

Internship review

Former Employee - Intern  in  Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Excellent people to work with, very accommodating, great atmosphere. Very easy to learn from anyone in the company.

Cons

Lower internship pay compared to other companies, not much opportunity for overtime in my specific area.

Get in, get out.

Former Employee - Service Department  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Service Department in Chicago, IL

Pros

Will pay a lot of money for classes each year. This helped my career after leaving Hill. They also seem to have cornered several markets in Chicago which is helping to keep there revenue growing when other companies haven't grown. They use their financial position to muscle other companies out of good projects.

Cons

There is no real upward mobility here. Unless you are best buds or related to someone important at Hill, there is not much to look forward to.

Originally, they gave new grads details on a 7 year program that would lead to higher bonuses and an eventual leadership position. This trade off meant that they needed to take less salary and higher hours for those 7 years in an apprentice style program. However, there really isn't a light at the end of the tunnel. Good place for the first 2-3 years, but I would recommend finding a better company after that.

Performance Reviews were unprofessional. My supervisor filled out mine in front of me right before my meeting with upper management and just kept hitting the down button and 2-3 rating without any thought.

The most talented individuals that work at Hill seem to never get retained. That needs to change. Some of the members of upper management don't seem to have any work.

Worked for Hill Mechanical Group? Contribute to the Community!