Hill Physicians Medical Group

Steve McDermott

Team Lead

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Hill Physicians Medical Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company
    Wellness programs, Yearly bonuses, Flex hours

Cons

Benefits are good but the Premium Rates are high.
    I have seen Managers hire employees based on Friendship and not necessarily for experience or job expertise but this causes problems for the Team especially when the person hired can not perform well. The Team is left to pick up the slack!!
    Work overload
    We have a few slackers in our department

Listen to employee feedback

Its good if you want some monotonous role.

I have been working at Hill Physicians Medical Group

Pros

Good benefits. A lot of focus on employee wellness

Cons

Not much growth opportunity if you looking for some challenging work

Hire more resources especially in IS department.

Hands-down the best place I have every worked

I have been working at Hill Physicians Medical Group

Pros

This is a company that cares about employees, there is plenty of room for growth if you are willing to do the work it takes to advance. There are great benefits, perks, fun, laughter and company support for projects that matter both at work and outside the job. I can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

The silo statement is true, but I am sure it is true of many companies.

LISTEN to your staff when they comment on supervisors, managers. They see the true person, upper management sees the best side of the person.

Limited Growth Opportunity, People Are (For Lack Of A Better Word) Strange

I worked at Hill Physicians Medical Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits package, decent salary offering compared to other local IPAs, pleasant location, attempts to maintain a work-life balance

Cons

At least in the departments requiring some analytical and problem-solving capability:

1. "Fun" yet incompetent people are hired and often times favored over "dull" (however you want to define that) yet intelligent workers who actually enjoy learning, growing and contributing to the company's success.
    2. Management fosters a fearful atmosphere - for instance, even small mistakes are used as a reason for alienation or dismissal, rather than a learning opportunity.
    3. Cliques easily form among the aforementioned "fun" crowd. Upon hire, people with any sense of individuality or creativity are immediately assessed by these cliques and are more often than not alienated in both work meetings and social gatherings.
    4. Cliques surprisingly consist of adults who act like teenagers in high school - making up rumors about others, talking about others behind their backs - rather than do the work they were hired to do.
    5. Career advancement is limited, unless you want to work alongside mean managers who care more about their future than their employees'.

Please listen more to employees in non-managerial positions - they form the heart of Hill Physicians. Management often times covers up unpleasant situations in order to portray a picture of perfection. Employees will be happier and will want to stay with Hill Physicians if their opinions are taken in consideration.

Good Company that will resemble a "Sinking Ship" for the next few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Family Orientated
    Offers "wellness initiatives"
    Offers basic pto and benefits usually offered at larger corporations
    Most of the people that work there are nice, although you can always find crazy somewhere
    CEO is funny, in a dry-don't make eye contact-sort of way (genuinely a nice guy)
    its in the bay area/san ramon and in the Bishop Ranch complex

Cons

Undergoing a lot of change at the moment. Heads of departments are dropping like flies. Difficulty understanding what direction we're going in at times, and if there is any strategy. Little stability in the infrastructure. Lots of silo's. Work life balance used to be the best thing about Hill, and that has disappeared. The only thing FUN about the day to day is the dysfunction in the way projects and base operations are managed. It's a circus that doesn't make sense and makes you question your life choices on a weekly basis.

Either start offering more competitive salaries or start mentoring your teams. We're losing the smart ones due to lack of appreciation/opportunities for growth. Why would they stay? Why do I stay? Because I have a mortgage and I hate commuting. That's it.

Great leadership; challenging industry

I worked at Hill Physicians Medical Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are valued as individual contributors and benefits are plentiful. Strong sense of work-life balance. People remember to have fun while at work. More so in some departments than others.

Cons

Departments live in silos, and it slows progress and feels inefficient and unnecessarily isolating at times. Personal growth not valued, career advancement is slow.

Remember to value the people who have been there through the ups and downs. They are the core of Hill.

Yikes. Worst job I have ever had

I worked at Hill Physicians Medical Group full-time

Pros

Nice people. good work life balance. Have made some lifelong friends. I need 20 words but I have nothing else nice to say.

Cons

Leadership is weak. Managers are incompetant. No advancement possible. Micromanagement is rampant. You cant do anything without talking to CIO. CIO hasn't got a clue. My prediction is that this company won't be around in 3 years.

Fire everyone and start over. Nobody knows what they are doing.

Leader in healthcare, IPA's

I worked at Hill Physicians Medical Group

Pros

Fun, Culture, Family, Opportunities, Innovative

Cons

Not many. Some poor, or disliked managers/directors are left in place while good teams/team members under them have high performances/outcomes.

Medium-sized company experiencing growing pains

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Organization truly values work/life balance, as evidenced by flexible hours, telecommuting, summer hours, balance days, and family-friendly atmosphere. Many concurrent projects that lead health care management in the United States, so there are opportunities for meaningful and challenging work.

Cons

The role of technology seems misplaced, as the organization emphasizes upgrading to newer technologies rather than using technology as a tool to advnace business/clinical initiatives. Growth opportunities are limited to "chosen ones". Many business decisions appear to be influenced more by company politicking and hunches rather than empirical data and objective analysis. Recent growth in the organization has centered on additional middle management and has led to "Too many chiefs".

Good coaches place their players in positions that maximize their talents and opportunity to succeed. Likewise, balance out the number of "workers" and "managers" and assign projects to employees in a way that will maximize their opportunities to succeed. Take advantage of "big data" in decision-making.

Team Leader

Former Employee - Team Lead in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Hill Physicians Medical Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some really nice & cool people work here.

Cons

I had a culture shock first when I joined the company. Extremely formal environment and most of the people appeared fearful. Too much politics within the IT (IS as they call it). They encourage people to have low ambitions. Because it helps the senior management as there is only little career opportunities. I am not sure how come it has such good reviews by other people. I also got attracted due to this and the recruiter persuaded me to join telling lot of good stuff. All turned out to be lies later on. Perhaps it is so small organization that every single review can be correlated to people. So no one wants to take chance. It is not a company for ambitious people.

90 day evaluation period is a trap that company puts in the offer letter. It is like a contract to hire. Never seen this type of full time job offers. So advice to all the candidates who want to join is to be aware of this clause in the offer letter. They are very strict about it and I saw many people being fired in my short tenure here using this clause. This type of things gives extremely bad outlook towards any company. It appears as if they do not describe the job description and job duties at the beginning or interview candidates properly and they experiment with the candidates. May be company is not aware of the bad publicity it will get because of this and will have difficulty finding candidates in future.

It appears to be struggling with finance and the reason is overspending management does because of bad judgement. No one tries to fix that.

Company has weird type of structure and hierarchy. At times it appears that no one understands how other companies work. Highly disorganized. Another weird thing is that no one wants to talk or hear about such things.

Fix the politics and overspending happening in the IT.