Hill-Rom Holdings

Hill-Rom Holdings President, CEO, and Director John J. Greisch

John J. Greisch

Worrisome future

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, good people, ethical and focused on helping patients
Effective products are attractive to facilities
Indiana lodging looks beautiful in the winter

ConsStrategy changes yearly
Executive leadership doesn't stick around long
Declining hospital spending makes high price product less attractive
Products do not directly generate revenue for facilities

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point. Ultimate goal is clear.

Great place to live but wouldn't want to work there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill-Rom Holdings full-time

ProsBatesville is a great small community with wonderful schools, parks, athletic facilities, and easy access to the Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

ConsDoesn't care about the employee just profits. Doesn't consider giving people chances in other work areas just lays them off. Always have your resume updated if you work for Hill-Rom.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has created a culture of people looking over there shoulder. They worrying about their employment instead of leading and innovating.

Challenging and entrepreneurial

Corporate Support Function (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill-Rom Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCalibre of management has improved over past 5 years.

ConsEndless cycle of cost cutting leaves everyone generally uncertain about job security

Advice to Senior ManagementMove everything to Chicago. Batesville HQ hurts talent acquisition.

Pressure cooker.

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsCool challenging projects. Success is rewarding knowing you are creating good things for patients and caregivers. Good dsign and analytical tools.

ConsToo many people to please, proceedures, and project constraints are cosistantly unreasonable, unless you are on a project that is favored by management. Favortism, and nepitism creates an almost maddening toxic enviroment that will eventually burn you out. They favor new engineers for new hires. Management will progressively make it harder and harder on you. Computers are outdated. Award systems for good work are broken or nonexistant.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair treatment is needed. Need to listen more to employees. A few managers need to be let go for their demoralizing treatment of their employees.

Okay place to work

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsGood products, good and helpful people.

ConsNot the industry best in processes

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be great to have a look at all hill-rom processes and try to improve them , which will also improve the overall quality of the products.

Full speed in many different directions! Some managers are understanding, but that doesn't eliminate chaos and overload

Senior Analyst At Corporate Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsHill-Rom's corporate offices are located in a small town with surprising resources. Everything is easily accessible. Schools are very good. You will get to know your work peers because you will interact with them in other places as well. The company is supportive of the town and vice versa. It is a great place to raise kids. You will meet some fantastic people, especially at the lower levels of the company where you find "locals" who have been here a long time.

ConsMorale is very low. Layoffs created situations where those left have too much work. The load and the inability to successfully accomplish all of it is demoralizing. Remaining staff feels they are on the brink of being let go as well. Any planning from the top is not being interpreted well by middle management. It feels like we take off in one direction and before we finish, we start over in another direction. There is a significant "old boys club" mentality and an unwillingness to promote from within. This not only eliminates potential for career growth through promotion, but means that choice growth opportunities at one's current level tend to always go to the same few people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more thoroughly throughout the company. The quarterly meetings do not provide a lot of information that people want to know. There is too much "spin" on the important agenda items. For example, tell everyone exactly what the plans are for moving some of the headquarters functions to Chicago so that people will know and can plan ahead. Otherwise, you look like you are lying (lying by omission even when directly confronted), and people will later say "we knew it all along".

Changing company

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsIndustry leading, internationally growing company, which provides opportunities for those who seek them. Great company to gain experience in the medical device industry. Decent compensation plan including significant YE bonus. Stable employer for high performing folks - most employeers are long term (15+yrs)

ConsHill-Rom continues to be perceived negatively by many long-term employees who are slow to accept that we are a public, not a private company. Senior management presents an ever-changing environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the facilities, and understand what is really happening before making drastic changes.

Good Place To Work

Senior Environmental Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsBenefits are good, people treated fairly

ConsThey are at a point where they need an upper management change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep your operations here in the United States. Good workers at the Batesville Site.

Moving all R&D to Singapore

Software Specialist (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsIt's a job for a few years, don't expect much

ConsManagement changes every few months

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to love USA and not Sinapore

Poor Communications and Lack of Trust

Field Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hill-Rom Holdings

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Some but not all local management is willing and understanding that work is not more important that family and personal life.

ConsSenior management is completely oblivious to the harsh realities of employees in the field and are unwilling to take suggestions for improvement. Field employees are unable obtain resources to do job effectively and efficiently. The field is always short handed because they refuse to replace those employees that leave quickly, if at all. Senior Management has lost confidence and in the field employees, including tracking and monitoring of phone calls, email, text messages and GPS on all vehicles to monitor where employees are, and for how long, Including meal breaks and stopping for fuel, snacks, or drinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your field employees, including service and sales. Treat employees with dignity and respect and allow us the freedom to do our jobs effectively by providing us the resources to do so. Don't fake the importance of safety as a priority only to berate those that are injured on the job, and make internal numbers your ultimate priority.

Worked for Hill-Rom Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hill-Rom Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hill-Rom Holdings CEO John J. Greisch. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Hill-Rom Holdings employees.