Hill-Rom

Updated December 25, 2014
3.3

Hill-Rom President, CEO, and Director John J. Greisch
John J. Greisch

Pros
  • Great management team and good place to work if you can handle lots of change (in 3 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to interact directly with customers (Cargivers), so you get a good understanding of the customer needs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Quarter to Quarter differences, No work life balance, very stereotypical desk banging types (in 2 reviews)

• Too much red tape, too much turn over, if there is a LONG term vision or goal they are not sharing it with employees (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved this place, and was proud to work there!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company invested immensely in me (and all of their employees), promoting into different roles to develop and leverage my strengths. Their people were great; products are the best in the industry; strategic acquisitions as well as organic development continue the legacy. Excellent benefits. My manager did an excellent job keeping us apprised of higher business decisions, direction, and changes affecting the company, division, and our team. Strong and clear market analyses with good market/customer feature driven development. When reorgs occurred they generally led to promotions and better-fit roles.

Cons

Challenges with overreach; R&D is chronically understaffed and unable (though desperate) to execute upon the vision. Overly conservative corporate approach driven too heavily by quarterly returns caused a lot of management stress and disappointment -- innovation for them too often meant creative budget execution. Salaries were typically below market value with very difficult or impossible negotiation.

Corporate leadership could take more risks and focus less on quarterly returns; the net effect would be far better for customers and shareholders alike. Trust your divisional leaders (at least this division's), they are excellent.

Market Hill-Rom products

I have been working at Hill-Rom

Pros

Leadership
    Flexibility
    Marketing
    Uncapped commissions
    Training

Cons

Reporting systems can be slow at times

Mediocre Middle Management

Former Employee - QARA COMPLAINT ANALYST in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - QARA COMPLAINT ANALYST in Cary, NC

I worked at Hill-Rom

Pros

Good transitional company for nurses seeking career progression in healthcare management. Good opportunities for customer service professionals in IT.

Cons

Racism, classism, still play huge roles behind the well appointed office. Middle managers who are threatened by any real intelligence or ability for a contractor to think. Fear based employment. I was a contractor for 3 weeks and was called into meetings and told "don't take personal" "I need to prove your work" "and my budget" "ramping up" on back log work they themselves have no real direction, protocols, or training, and have overlooked utilizing the shame and blame game. (From the same "managers" throwing back drinks at the ON-SITE holiday function, clearly not good for rush hour traffic) Not sure if they understand the nature of contractors and their purpose. I was very comfortable not ringing in the New Year with this company. If you decide to work with Hill-Rom have an exit strategy in place and learn to not think for 8 hours per day at least.

Middle managers should be retrained on the market of contract workers.
    Contractors are supplemental workers, I.E. no salary, no benefits, no perks, hired through a staffing agency, means no commitment. If you want ramp up after 3 weeks; HIRE PEOPLE with degrees, actual expertise in working diverse teams, project management, and pay a real salary with benefits. This is not slavery, TALENTED workers won't invest or commit to companies who don't commit to them I.E. Contractors. The company needs a serious Organizational Development plan from an outside consulting firm as well as a restructure; otherwise your market shares will continue to remain 50% less than your competition. Getting a firm OD plan in place should help in successfully resolving your issues.

Good company, no chance for advancement

Current Employee - Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hill-Rom

Pros

Good co-workers, good benefits, great services provided

Cons

Crazy hours, on call, and management won't promote advancement

Take care of the techs who work hard and have remained dedicated.

It's all about timing and who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN

I have been working at Hill-Rom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good especially for a small town company, there are many opportunities for employee engagement, and the staff is very friendly in most departments.

Cons

A lot of talk about improvements however they usually don't pan out or are very small. they relly too much on short term impulse decisions to appeal to investment community.

they need to be more transparent with their employees. Half the problems employees would be easy solved if management just took the time to explain how they came to that decision.

Service Operations Manager- Strong company, hard work, well rewarded

Former Employee - Service Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Service Operations Manager

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company in a niche market, well managed. Management is willing to train and promote from within. Based in Batesville, IN and has branches in virtually every major city. Regional managers almost all have been promoted from within and understand the jobs they are supervising.

Cons

Downsizing occured and the details are still being worked out. Temp workers are brought in to do warehouse work and don't always provide the real help needed. Some disconnect between the home office and individual branches that must operate in slightly different ways than the 'norm'.

My experience was positive.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Akron, OH

I worked at Hill-Rom as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You opportunity to advance with the company.

Cons

That it was contract work and after 4 years the Hospital decided not to renew.

Horrible company, awful strategy, poor culture

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people at the Cary office.

Cons

Management is cluelesss and hates employees. Culture of the Cary office is horrible. They like to pretend that it's a fun culture with ping pong, video games, etc but nobody enjoys it or has fun. People are constantly scared about their jobs and the best talent leaves at the first chance.

Clean house at the Cary office and start from the ground up.

Big Brother...

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hill-Rom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

8 hour shift. Definitely not my last JOB!

Cons

Lack of Leadership. Blame Game. No Sense of Seniority. Good olé Boy Club/High School BS. Revolving Door....blah blah blah PTO.

Get out from behind your laptop and actually manage human beings not your spreadsheets. Remove head from AVP sphincter ASAP.

International company with a small-town mentality.

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. Recently built a nice cafeteria. Made some very good friends while working there. Starting to invest money in new technology.

Cons

Very hostile to change. Set in their ways but say they are "open-minded." Directors placate hourly workers at the expense of their supervisors and individual contributors. Big time "silo" mentality. Managers have ethical issues. Cronyism is rampant. Work force in a small town is biased against new hires. Office workers silently revolted after several layoffs. As a result many internal systems were not maintained and the new hires are in the words of those veteran workers, "Paying the price for our past sins." In short, the culture is very dysfunctional.

Jerk a knot in the tail of your directors and get them all on the same page. Instill into them the idea of servant leadership. Encourage them to find their intrapreneurs and leverage their energy. Eliminate the silo mentality and establish value stream product teams. Desperately need to retrofit archaic facilities.