Hill & Knowlton

Updated Feb 13, 2014

Hill & Knowlton Chairman and CEO Jack Martin

Jack Martin

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great PR agency on the upswing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill & Knowlton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, interesting high-profile accounts, top-tier crisis team, great learning environment for anyone interested in public relations or marketing

ConsMostly typical agency angst--long hours, office politics, bureaucratic structure. Low pay relative to long hours and high pressure environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to invest in your junior and mid-level staff. Turnover has been exceedingly high over the last two years and shows no signs of slowing.

A great experience, you learn a lot here!

I worked at Hill & Knowlton part-time for more than a year

Pros- Great, enthusiastic people
- Good CEO
- Clean environment
- Warm atmosphere

Cons- Little pay
- Unorganized at times
- Little to no social life..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe respectful to your employees..and bump up the salary, will ya?

The worst place I've ever worked

I worked at Hill & Knowlton full-time for less than a year

ProsInternational reach and network, interesting clients, okay salary, good benefits, a few very nice, competent people, recently, the company rebranded and has a new management team now, so it may be better now.

ConsI worked on the healthcare team and everybody there, no matter what level, was miserable. It was an atmosphere of fear. People got fired all the time, just because the management thought it was good for morale to get of the worst-performing team members. The people were awful, very condescending and nobody worked there for long. The whole department was one revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management has to do a better job of creating a nurturing corporate culture. Less focus on getting the next, big client, and more focus on retention.

Tough times after the merger for this old stalwart

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill & Knowlton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat global network, opportunities to work on brands in crisis, access to other WPP partners and generally avg or above avg salaries

ConsStill very much an old school agency that gets passed up for the more cutting edge agencies. Will never really compete with Edelman on any meaningful level.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on digital and modernizing your operation. Revamp tech and consumer. Pay more attention to retaining young stars.

Going through growing pains, but emphasis on innovation and culture will pull them through

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill & Knowlton full-time for more than a year

Pros- Extremely smart and highly approachable senior management
- Values top performers, provides new career opportunities (i.e. transfers, new client work, new biz)
- Good clients
- Creative and innovative thinking

Cons- Tough transition period with merger and new management
- Creative ideas abound but execution is shaky
- There are a few senior leaders that have coasted without contribution; that's changing
- Tends to invest at the top, which is evident in mid-level pay
- High turnover; people are antsy with the transition and long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating, invest in the mid-level and they will one day be your senior leaders!

One of overall frustration with the lack of resources and solid leadership in moving the agency forward.

I have been working at Hill & Knowlton

ProsA global firm that provides potential opportunities to work on big brands across countries and practice groups.

ConsContinuing to go through a transition to become more competitive as one of the leading global agencies, with more limited resources than key competitors.

People are great. Pay is awful.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill & Knowlton

ProsThe people are very team oriented and it's a nice environment to come in to. However, prior to the merge there were too many people in management who didn't know how to leade properly or help people be rising stars.

ConsThe salary is not competitive with others in the same industry. The assistants are so discarded that they never even receive performance reviews - as though it doesn't even matter.

Great company, but NYC office is probably the worst to work for

I worked at Hill & Knowlton

ProsThe reputation of the company is great and most people are very nice. Some people are very smart. The CEO is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Communication qualities among team members are above average. The list of clients is impressive and the team is multicultural.

ConsLike most large PR agencies, H&K only cares about its "top stars" and lets go of those people who do not outperform. Average employees who do a good job are not promoted and eventually get fired. Senior management can be very demanding and sometimes cruel. Personal life is nothing H&K cares a lot about. Employees come and go and retention rates are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should more often reflect on what it was like when they started in PR and the work-life balance should be taken into consideration more. More honest feedback should be given.

Good place to get first industry experience

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hill & Knowlton

ProsFor someone just starting out in the industry, Hill & Knowlton is a good place to get a real agency experience, which is what you'll want on your resume when you're looking to take the next step. The name is well-respected among other firms and boutiques, so you'll be doing yourself a favor.

ConsThe problems with management/employee relations are not unique to H&K, but they are the reason most junior staffers are unsatisfied here in the long run. Upper level managers don't have much hands-on experience with clients, so often times there is a disconnect between them and the people who work on accounts day-to-day. Junior staff usually leaves in a year or so because it becomes clear H&K is not invested enough in building talent or offering incentive to stay on board over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your junior staff. Promote them on a regular schedule, give them competitive raises and show them that you want to see them grow and develop with the business. They will be more inclined to do their best work and less inclined to leave when a slightly better offer comes in.

H&K is extremely old fashioned and stodgy but they are more financially stable than most PR agencies right now.

Senior Account Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Hill & Knowlton

ProsTypical benefits of working at a big global company. Senior management is rewarded and not much is expected of them but the junior staff carries the load (as is true with most agencies). The H&K brand is much stronger outside the US, if you're looking to make a jump over seas.

ConsVery old and stodgy, which is pretty much its reputation. Not a place where young talent is valued. The best people tend to walk out the door after a year. Most of the offices in the US feel more like law offices than PR agencies. There is pretty much no consumer practice whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a greater emphasis on retaining top talent and try to give the junior staff more of a voice in how the company evolves.

Worked for Hill & Knowlton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hill & Knowlton reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hill & Knowlton CEO Jack Martin. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Hill & Knowlton employees.