Hill's Pet Nutrition Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.6

Peter Brons-Poulsen

Not best in class, just ok

Current Employee - Business Account Manager
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay & benefits coming from the Colgate family of companies. 401k, profit sharing, awesome insurance, vacation time, etc. Decent work/life balance. People are very nice and try to do a good job. The products are high quality and have a small loyal customer base.

Cons

Hill's does not have the highest-quaity talent which hurts the products and the company. Poor training. Marketing has made bad decisions for a long time and I do not think Science Diet will recover. No leadership from management or director level, very disorganized HQ. Hill's biggest customers are not in line with the strategy of the company and do not prioritize them as a vendor. Lots of fire drills, lack of long term plan.

There needs to be a long term plan that aligns industry trends to company strategy and finally a very clear execution plan. If each account is doing something different it hurts the image of the brand because shoppers see different price points and promotions everywhere. Hire better leadership and providing training to young talent would allow this to happen.

Absolute Best Products, Best People, Very Political

Current Employee - Director  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Director in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, products you can believe in, great people, reasonable work / life balance

Cons

Extremely political, short term mindset, management is not really interested in listening to employees despite their belief they are.

Give employees a voice who deeply care about this company and truly know what is going on operationally. Express a genuine desire to listen and don't shoot or discount the messenger..

Yesterdays news

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition

Pros

Salary and benefits above average. Certain diets perform well on your pets. Being part of Colgate is a double edge sword.

Cons

This is a company that continues to lose market share to their competition. Hills sat on their laurels for many years incorrectly marketing their products and became yesterdays news. Their most senior management does not understand the business, only the p&l. This company's marketing team is a revolving door. Senior management is very quick to blame the organization for their failure and lack of leadership. Company morale is at an all time low.

Time will show all of the changes you have made in the last 3 years will fail due to your lack of understanding the customer and lack of commitment to play well with others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Half the company it use to be... and still could be

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition

Pros

There are quite a few very talented employees here. They're just being over worked.

Company benefits can't be beat!

Cons

The vast majority of the employees are working a lot of hours, either at work or at home. They've gotten rid of so many employees to look better for the Colgate shareholders that there are long hours and pressure to perform on everyone. "This is the way it's going to be. If you don't like it you can pack your bags." It's more of a shell of the great company it use to be. Way to much influence and control on the part of Colgate.

Sad to say but they've stopped listening.

How the Mighty Fall

Current Employee - Middle Manager  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, Benefits, 401K, Training, physical facilities, are all very good. Hills makes incredible pet foods for a wide variety of disease conditions and well pets. Trying to stay up to date with new "all natural" foods.

Cons

Influence of Colgate Palmolive managers and leadership, cost saving measures and the overall toxic corporate environment have made Hill's a very poor place to work. Colgate is rapidly changing Hill's into a consumer products company vs. a veterinary company. most of the veterinarians have already left for greener pastures. Marketing now has no veterinarians at all for the first time in the history of the company. If you are looking for a cut throat, toxic environment where you stab your co-workers in the back so you can get promoted then Hill's is the place for you! The influx of Colgate management is literally killing Hill's. These people come in for 2-4 years, make horrible decisions and then leave Hill's. Their replacements come into a mess and make it a further mess because they have absolutely zero experience with out business.

Remove all Colgate directors and above who have no interest in building their long term careers at Hill's. Hill's should be a career destination and not just a stepping stone. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put people into positions if they have no experience in that area of the business. Get Kostas out Now! He has limited leadership skills, could care less about most things but his own personal career advancement. He leads by fear and intimidation. Does not want to understand what we have done historically and so we are making the same mistakes we have made in the past. All of the cost cutting measures are killing everyone's desires to work hard. Head count cuts continue with many people living in the fear that their positions will be cut next.

Living in a Silo

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Scientist in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health benefits, competitive pay, tuition reinbursement

Cons

No communication among business teams, managers do not listen well. Rare career opportunites to move up ever though they encourage it. It often goes to those who manaagement favors the most.

Listen to your employees and recognize them for hard work. It often goes unrecognized.

Hill's is not longer a good place to work. Very stressful atmosphere.

Current Employee - CSC Agent  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - CSC Agent in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company offers good benefits

Cons

Leadership is poor in the call center

A great company headed south due to poor leadership and inability to change culture.

Current Employee - Subordinate  in  Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Subordinate in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits! A lot of opportunities to learn from diverse team and new technologies. Your safety is a major concern.

Cons

Very forgetful management. Compensation was great but is getting worse even after a record year. Big communication barrier between management and subordinates. Management turns a blind eye to a lot of major issues. It is up to subordinates to manage each other which causes conflict and hurts moral.

Revamp your management strategy by having one on one interviews with vocal participants from each shift, each department, at each facility. Focus on the negative and praise the positive. Praising the positive will improve moral. The negative is preventing us from being more than what we can be . We should focus on those challenges to remediate them or they will only get worse.

Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits
    Great Pay (for now)
    Company Vehicle

Cons

Work-Life balance is true as long as you have no life.
    Sales force as it is today will not exist in two years.
    Many "cost saving" measures occurring
    Management is inept

Gather some intestinal fortitude and cut the dead weight. The job of managers is to advance subordinates, and the current management is seemingly unwilling to promote or advance the career of a subordinate. You are losing good employees to other companies who see the skills and attributes they possess; that will be your downfall. As for me, it is not a matter of if, but when I will be leaving this company. If you would have asked my when I started with Hill’s if I would retire here I would have said yes, today it is only a stepping stone in my career path. Thanks for the training and experience, I'm out.

Micro Managed Like Crazy

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is ok and they supply everything you could need to work there. Bonus are a joke do not believe the come on.

Cons

The conditions that you have to work in is just Crazy. They Preach Safety from Day one but when you challenge it your a piece of crap. They Tell you as a driver its all about safety and when you tell them you can go to a place for safety reasons they tell you no matter go there. Every thing is your Fault no matter what. If you say anything else you are written up. 6 plus Yrs in Dallas Tx

I am fine with all the Safety although the same crap is Jammed down your throat every single day. We are not Kids and we understand things. But when you say drive safe but do not go over 2mph or your in trouble watch everything and do it safe but fast. LOL Micro Managed to the Hilt Good Luck on that and also the 2% raises are just a Joke even after 5 yrs of safe driving and no time off but whats was given. The Salary was Ok 5 yrs ago but now way below Average.

Worked for Hill's Pet Nutrition? Contribute to the Community!