Hillman Companies

Max W. Hillman Jr.

Great place to work at

Order Processor (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsFriendly employees & work environment, safety is #1

ConsCan be physically demanding depending on task

Extremely frustrating for those that put forth an effort.

Manufacturing (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFriendly group of people. Job security without the need to perform. No work ethic required.

ConsStagnant wages. Disenchanted workforce. Ineffective middle management. Turns a blind eye to poor performers and takes advantage of the others. Upper management more concerned with politics and the good old boy network than the concerns of it's hourly employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and get a clue. Set some performance standards and weed out the bottom feeders. A happy, solid workforce is a productive workforce.

homophobic company!

Field Sales Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe only perks are half way decent pay and company car

Conszero training
    zero leadership
    zero policies to protect employees from discrimination
    expenses are hardly ever paid back

Advice to Senior Managementeverything needs to change it took me 3 years to get my legitimate expenses reimbursed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's the #1 fastener company out there.

International Sales Representative (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosworking with this company helps you learn allot and meet new people every store you go to .
    Also with a job like this you get to spend allot of time with your family.

Consi don't see any thing wrong with this company, because every year it keeps growing stronger.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management never at no time pushes you around when comes to doing your work. You just do what you go to do and you will be A O K.

Not as promised

Marketing Department (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsVery friendly, lots of in house training available, great benefits. Seems family oriented.

ConsPoor communication between managers. Left hand does not know what right hand is doing. Most employees walk on egg shells and are unsure of their future. Be careful in interview process, with multiple agendas at work, be sure you know which one you are going to be held to account for. This is a very patriarchal company, and management is not forthcoming.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to support your people, most are afraid of the management.

It was an okay place to work, until something better comes your way

Order Puller III (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat if you like a fast paced job

ConsBut not very well managed

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should always be even across the boards

To get ahead in this company you have to kiss their ass!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsIt's a job......they will hire anyone off the street.The HR team has no clue what they are doing.

ConsNo room for advancement unless you conform to kissing upper managements ass. They don't have a clue how to run things and the ones that do get weeded out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire............

Get in touch with your people

District Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsOverall they are a great company, a leader in the sales of fasteners, keys, house numbers and other products. They service the small independant hardware store to the largest of companies, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. The have a great service force throughout the United States and a great reputation for getting things done. They have had incredible sales growth over the last 10 years and expect to be a $500,000,000 company soon. Our sales / service force has grown along with the sales increases to be one of the largest in the industry. We have gone through a lot of growth and growing pains, but the future is bright.

ConsWith the growth, there has been a lot of change in upper management and the communication down to the field has suffered. We seem to be left in the dark about changes that effect us until the last minute, then it is a rush to get information or get projects completed. I believe we are underpaid relative to the industry and chances for advancement seems to depend more on politics than preformance or ability. Management is reluctant to accept responsibility and is looking for others to blame when necessary. Bonus plans always seem like a pie in the sky and are very difficult to attain, while the company as a whole is making good money.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, you don't have to accept everything they say as gospel, but give them the benefit and check things out. We want the company to prosper and would like to share the wealth. If you are going to put the carrot out there, we have to be able to get to it at some point or what is the use. Communicate with your lower management and the field. Let us know what is in the future and how we can help to make it successful.

Micro management, and poor people skills make for a not so good work environment.

Stockman (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsA flexible schedule maybe 60 percent of the time or when they feel happy on certain days. And if you don't like to be micro managed stay away from this company.

ConsTerrible communication b/w Supervisors, and leads and furthermore down to its lower level employee's. Also a lack in training, and willingness to provide a good work place environment where faith can be put into you supervisors. Overall, a HUGE lack in anybody having any type of whats going on while working hours are in operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the people you are hiring. The people who are hired have terrible people relationship skills. A supervisor there walks around telling people the only reason you should work hard is because I want to be happy and you should make me happy. NO LIE. Look into actually hiring leaders and LESS MICRO MANAGEMENT.

Overall, I've been happy, but I am concerned for my future as they seem to have forgotten those who made them successful

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStiil a family run business to a point, but outside investors and capital holding companies are slowly changing that. Upper managemnet is willing to listen to middle management and employees, although it is becoming more lip service than reality. They are very flexible and offer lots of freedom to the field employees. Still growing, although it is coming in areas outside of their traditional business focus.

ConsThe company is becoming very slow to react to everything....they seem to suffer from "paralysis through analysis". They are also not willing to pay for new business anymore as their market share has grown to over 80%. Employees who once felt they were part of a "family" now see themselves as just another number.

Advice to Senior ManagementSLOW DOWN. Grow smart, and stop worring about the family legacy. Focus on your core business and customer service and the sales will follow, just like the old days!

Worked for Hillman Companies? Contribute to the Community!