Hills Flat Lumber

Add Photos

Edward Pardini Jr

A Great Place To Work... as long as they can stay in business

Nurseryman (Current Employee) Grass Valley, CA

ProsI have very friendly coworkers and management, and a lot of the owners really take the time to get to know you by name quickly. It's really nice to work for a family-owned business, especially one with paid vacation and retirement benefits. I have a great Nursery manager who is very helpful and down to earth, and he does all he can to best accommodate me. The company offers good employee discounts, at slightly above cost. There are also two annual company functions- a BBQ in the summer and a holiday get-together in the winter. They raffle off products and paid days off!

ConsRecently, Hills Flat Lumber laid off several employees to prevent going bankrupt supposedly. They were back recruiting new employees three months later, although I think they did bring SOME of the old employees back (they let go the least valuable and the laziest workers). I also asked two coworkers about raises they had received... one had worked for the company for over a year and had not received a raise, even after their annual review where they were told they were doing a good job and to expect a raise. They other has worked for the company for 5 years and only received 1 raise... but I don't think this person has asked for one before either (even though they deserve one).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know each other's departments so you can be more helpful all-around and you can fill in when needed. Make sure new employees know the basics of the different departments other than their own before putting them on the floor. Also, train them to understand the ordering days, receiving days, stocking procedures, account procedures and return policies. Make sure they know how to get assistance when they need it.

Not a terrible seasonal job

Loader (Former Employee) Grass Valley, CA

ProsYou're basically getting paid to work out. You always have something to do so days go by quickly. Lower level management is awesome.

ConsUpper level management is the worst. There's too much micromanaging. You are not trusted by your managers at all no matter how well you do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees so they don't all quit on you.

Worked for Hills Flat Lumber? Contribute to the Community!