Hillsborough City School District

3.3
CEO

1. Location, Location, Location

I have been working at Hillsborough City School District full-time

Pros

There are excellent schools in the Greater Tampa Area. There are some not so nice schools. Your career as a teacher is largely a product of location. The best schools are middle to upper middle class based populations where a teacher can teach and enjoy teaching.

Cons

The opposite is of course true. There is tremendous turnover in the weaker schools and life there can be extremely challenging. The upside is that, jobs can be found if you are willing and tough enough to survive.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending all schools are created equal and downgrading an individual teachers performance based on a rubric that has blinders when it comes to problem students.

2. It has given me a career that allows me to stand on my own two feet

I have been working at Hillsborough City School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and days off. Teachers are paid for 10 months so they have many days off. You accrue sick days each month. Plenty if professional development available for career advancement.

Cons

Too many politics going on. Health insurance keeps getting more expensive each year and the deductibles higher. The union is expensive. The evaluation system does not help morale.

Advice to Management

Each department has it's own agenda. Communication is poor. Improvement is needed in these. Rethink evaluation system.

3. Teacher Aid, was very good working with kids with learning disabilities!

Former Employee - Teacher Aid in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher Aid in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at Hillsborough City School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Give me the opportunity to applied my Health Education assisting teachers during the learning process adaptability for students with learning disabilities.

Cons

To be able to do blending careers give me open doors to expand and improve work experiences.

Advice to Management

Keep open doors to the opportunities of accept blending careers able the professional with their knowledge's and experiences to improve the teaching quality education.

5. Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Hillsborough City School District

Pros

state of the art technology, involved parents, best practices, staff development, very high standards,

Cons

competition not collaboration between collegues, parents request teachers which is difficult for new teachers, hidden agenda of administration, favoritism shown to staff members, district employs many family members and friends of administration whoare all given preferential treatment and not held to the same standards, little evaluation or feedback, no chance for promotion, parents can be very demanding. This is not a district to work in if you are new. It is definitely sink or swim.

Advice to Management

This is an administration that rules without concern for staff, morale, even students interests, Favored status goes to families who contribute large amounts of money.

6. Hillsborough City School District - teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Hillsborough, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Hillsborough, CA

I have been working at Hillsborough City School District

Pros

Affluent community, few students require intervention, parents involved

Cons

parents too involved with placement, favoritism, administration has minimal empathy for teachers, moral poor

Advice to Management

Support staff, treat all fairly, listen, follow through

RSS Feed </> Embed