Hillsborough County Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent MaryEllen Elia

MaryEllen Elia

Pros
  • Probably more advanced than some other school districts(in 6 reviews)

• In such a large district there is better job security(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Peer evaluation system, evaluates you on only a snap shot of your teaching(in 5 reviews)

• Low salary, no professional growth, poor benefits(in 3 reviews)

Teacher Perspective

Teacher (Current Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsVery supportive staff and faculty.

ConsThe pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teachers AND students.

Long term job security within the district.

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood benefits, great sick time and personal time. Long term job security. Just got a long deserved raise after years of NO raises.

ConsAt any school teachers have a LOT of work. Usually work past your regular day and on weekends and conference nights and special school events.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany Principals are stressed out and pass this pressure on to the teachers. A lot of favoritism and gossip.

I recommend this school district.

Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI have worked for different school districts and liked SDHC the best. I was at three different schools; however, they were all very close to each other and very different in population. It gave me a great variety of students to work with that kept the job exciting. I had great supervisors who were always in touch. The district provided reimbursement for the ASHA dues and were always having inservices that made it easy to keep up the CEU hours. IEP's were completed on a computer system that was easy to navigate. I had a caseload of approx. 75-80 students. I had great principals at all three schools.

ConsOther than the usual scheduling nightmares at all schools, I can't think of any cons!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ESE Teacher

ProsFamily Life is valued appreciated and given time.

ConsEvaluation system is not the best

Nice temporary job. Could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsImmediate supervisor was very nice, respectful, and flexible.

ConsLow Compensation. "Rules" are not applied equally.

Teaching is what you make it.

Teacher (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsIn such a large district there is better job security. Many great people are doing the best that they can in this district.

ConsIn such a large district there is a lot of bureaucracy. Standards set at the district level are below grade level and students are frequently passed on when their knowledge is not what it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people based on merit, not their connections.

The school you are in and administrative support can definitely make or break the experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFortunate to have a great staff who was really focused on the need of the students.

ConsSometimes the district is not as flexible as it should be.

It was very challenging

Reading Teacher (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsProbably more advanced than some other school districts.
    Plenty of workshops for teachers
    Lots of outside help

ConsLow pay for experienced teachers
    Poor evaluation system
    Administration did not stand by teachers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better handle on individual administrators .

Really tough place to work, but has its positives

Teacher (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThis district has a savvy superintendent that has implemented some business-minded reforms and cleaned up a lot of schools. There is a lot of support for Magnet Schools. Because of its size and population, this district is often targeted for a lot of new programs and reform initiatives, therefore teachers often get top-notched training and exposure to the latest trends.

ConsVery tough population of students to work with. As with most schools now, the pressure on teachers to raise test scores is pretty extreme. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation initiatives have been intrusive and stressful on staff and don't appear to be helping much. Salary is below average and does not increase much long-term with years and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time and strategy should be spent on new initiatives before implementing them with teachers. Often, overwhelmed teachers are forced to start new programs when all the glitches and issues have not been resolved. This hurts their buy-in of reforms and their ability to incorporate them effectively.

teacher

ProsThe kids make the job/pay worth it!

Conspaperwork, eet, not paid enough

Worked for Hillsborough County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!