Hillsborough County Public Schools

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent MaryEllen Elia
MaryEllen Elia

Pros
  • Probably more advanced than some other school districts (in 6 reviews)

• In such a large district there is better job security (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Peer evaluation system, evaluates you on only a snap shot of your teaching (in 5 reviews)

• Low salary, no professional growth, poor benefits (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

So far, I like it.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

I am getting back in the work force after homeschooling and staying at home with my kids for 23 years. I like the flexibility. I plan to get recertified and to teach English and ESL at HCPS. It is amazing how much has changed (technology and classroom methods) since I last taught in the 1980's.

Cons

very large geographic range of assignments

I think there is a good work-life balance.

Passion is necessary for your job

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to change the lives of so many rising talents. You get to see how much you're really capable of. You also get to really see success. no greater feeling than to see a child you were working with excel.

Cons

Not enough pay to cover expenses

Employees should be paid well enough for the amount of work they do.

The school district can be a good place to work. It really depends on your coworkers.

Current Employee - Adult Education Instructor  in  Plant City, FL
    Current Employee - Adult Education Instructor in Plant City, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You are able to manage your time and do not have a supervisor standing over you while you're working.

Cons

It is challenging to deal with some of the management in Hillsborough County Schools, however, if you have good management you will find your job more rewarding.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

starting out job

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Can pick work days on your own time

Cons

pay no insurance looked down upon no respect from kids

A good school district to work for, but still has it's flaws

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Fantastic educators.
    -Cutting edge educational practices and policies.
    -Great amount of professional development opportunities.
    -Decent pay (but still not competitive with cost of living in Tampa).

Cons

-Medical benefits for spouse/children too expensive.
    -District is too obsessed with standardized testing.
    -Process for identifying special needs children not beneficial (takes too long and requires way too much paperwork).
    -District too large with several unnecessary positions being occupied on the administrative side. Also, pay too high for some positions (superintendent makes more money than the President of the United States).
    -Lack of funding for the arts. Too many cutbacks to art and music.

Less focus on testing, more focus and spending on actual teaching. Less on the top (administrative) and more going towards the education of children.

A Job you have to love

Current Employee - Educator  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Educator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The students are the best part of the working for the schools.

Cons

Administration tends to be either overly reactive, or over kill on a number of fronts.

Allow teachers to teach. Don't penalize them for giving students spelling tests, and above all ~ allow them to teach, not to a script, but to their own capabilities.

Needs Better Managers

Current Employee - Crew Leader  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Leader in Tampa, FL

Pros

Generous time off, sick pay paid out at retirement.

Cons

Low pay, management clueless.

Get middle managers that know what they are doing. We have very incompetent managers that have no idea what they are doing.

Things could be a lot better.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. If you substitute teach at a school enough then it allows you to get to know the teachers, students, administration, and staff.

Cons

Training was only available in June in order to continue as a substitute teacher for the upcoming school year. No promotions are available unless you're lucky enough to get hired as a full time teacher. There are times when students misbehave and there isn't much you can do about it. Every now and then you will come across teachers or staff who don't treat you in a professional manner.

Give more substitute teachers that are certified to teach a chance at being hired full time.

A Rewarding Job But Low Paying and Difficult.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Plant City, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with kids of all ages.

Cons

There were very few benefits except a retirement plan.

Wish there was some way substitute teachers could apply their experience to becoming a teacher if they so chose and that there would be a path to greater education and benefits without there being large out-of-pocket expenses and lack of guidance.

Don't rock the boat in the gotcha County.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tampa, FL

Pros

Benefits. Not the best but better than most. There is training available but on your own time. There is no pay for these trainings. Time off on most holiday's.

Cons

Trainings are expected of you even though their is no pay. Leadership is questionable. The Gates Evaluations System is destroying Hillsborough County Schools. The morale is at an all time low because of it. Many principals use the evaluations system to weed out teachers they don't want. A lot of propaganda of the evaluation system is presented to the school board by the Superintendent. Some of the school board is beginning to see beyond the superintendent. Teaching in this county used to be a dream come true. You felt like you were making a different with students. Now it is a nightmare. If you are a Special Ed. Teacher don't come to Hillsborough Co. Schools unless you like stress and blame for problems beyond your control.

Face reality and get rid of Bill Gates and his millions. He is a school reformer that is trying to make millions off public schools. Get rid of the Superintendent that is owned by Bill Gates and other Reformers. Once that is done then listen to TEACHERS on what really needs to be done to improve public school.

Worked for Hillsborough County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!