Hillsborough County Public Schools

Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent MaryEllen Elia
MaryEllen Elia

Pros
  • Probably more advanced than some other school districts (in 6 reviews)

• Free health insurance benefits and good 401k plan with the FRS system (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Peer evaluation system, evaluates you on only a snap shot of your teaching (in 5 reviews)

• teaching must be geared towards the state standardized testing; a lot of stress is placed on teachers for high test scores (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place for a New Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work at a very supportive school and love my position as a 5th grade teacher. The district provides an overwhelming amount of support for new teachers.

Cons

Teacher evaluations and being penalized for things beyond your control such as your students' home life, administration being behind, assemblies that put your lessons behind, etc. So much information is thrown at you, that no matter how good you are, things slip through the cracks.

2nd largest system in Florida

Former Employee - Drone in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Drone in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers have wide latitude in classroom methodology.

Cons

Sometimes weak administratiors don't back teachers.

A Good Place for Teachers

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This district has great opportunities for professional development. I had fantastic administrators and worked in a well maintained school. Nice state retirement package. The Florida Class Size Reduction Amendment keeps class sizes low.

Cons

Some of the curriculum is terrible, and just like most schools in America right now there was lots of pressure to teach to the test.

It was an experience.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The actual teaching part is rewarding.

Cons

20% of being a teacher is actually teaching. The other 80% is politics and not worth the salary.

Practice what they preach

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting administrators and other educators who are truly professional and care not only about students achievement, but also appreciates educators who work in low performing schools. Having the summers and holidays off are the greatest assets of being an educator

Cons

Constant changing the curriculum before teachers are able to put into practice the current curriculum. Jumping on the bandwagon of every new idea that some reportedly "expert" says work for "ALL" student. Extremely low salaries, penalizing teachers for the outcome of students scores and not being fair to teacher who give their all when it comes to educating "ALL" students, the current evaluation process and the long extended assessment meetings that really isn't a true reflection of what is going on in the classroom. The lack of parent involvement in renaissance schools make the job of an educator very difficult and challenging everyday. Behavior in the low performing schools are atrocious.

Try working in one of the 20 elementary renaissance schools, particular an all boys class room for a week and then decide if the current evaluation system is fair for all teachers. Consider going back to the old pay for performance, so that all teachers can have the opportunity to receive some type of bonus pay. There needs to be more male(African American) teachers in the elementary school environment, which may help to decrease the increase behavior issues displayed in low performance schools

New career, new teacher, new appreciation for underrated educators

Current Employee - Secondary Science Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Secondary Science Teacher in Tampa, FL

Pros

The best things about working with HCPS as a secondary science teacher are the trainings, some lessons are pre-written in alignment with the curriculum and the number of schools available. It's a really large district. You can teach in rural, low income, middle or upper class areas.

Cons

There are a lot of people who shouldn't teach or change their school. The ruin the environment. The technology at my S.T.E.M. didn't really exist and the Professional Learning Communities (PLC) were also poorly structured. There needs to be consistent common planning. Some schools have extra teacher duties besides the normal teacher duties.

Give more surveys about the culture at your school and listen to the data. Every single middle and high school needs to implement common cross curriculum planning to insure that students have multiple exposures to strategies, concepts or topics

So far, I like it.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am getting back in the work force after homeschooling and staying at home with my kids for 23 years. I like the flexibility. I plan to get recertified and to teach English and ESL at HCPS. It is amazing how much has changed (technology and classroom methods) since I last taught in the 1980's.

Cons

very large geographic range of assignments

I think there is a good work-life balance.

County is Cheap

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very fun working with the children. Work life balance is great..you get a lot of holidays off. Coworkers are great to.

Cons

Lowest paying county in the state of Florida. Jobs are mostly temporary and teachers are blamed for erverything

Passion is necessary for your job

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

You get to change the lives of so many rising talents. You get to see how much you're really capable of. You also get to really see success. no greater feeling than to see a child you were working with excel.

Cons

Not enough pay to cover expenses

Employees should be paid well enough for the amount of work they do.

The school district can be a good place to work. It really depends on your coworkers.

Current Employee - Adult Education Instructor in Plant City, FL
    Current Employee - Adult Education Instructor in Plant City, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are able to manage your time and do not have a supervisor standing over you while you're working.

Cons

It is challenging to deal with some of the management in Hillsborough County Schools, however, if you have good management you will find your job more rewarding.