Hillsborough County Public Schools

77 reviews filtered by
3.3
Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins
Jeff Eakins

Pros
  • Probably more advanced than some other school districts (in 6 reviews)

• Free health insurance benefits and good 401k plan with the FRS system (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Peer evaluation system, evaluates you on only a snap shot of your teaching (in 5 reviews)

• teaching must be geared towards the state standardized testing; a lot of stress is placed on teachers for high test scores (in 3 reviews)

1. Teaching is not how it used to be

Former Employee - High School Math Teacher
    Former Employee - High School Math Teacher

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology, support from co-workers, if you don't have a great principal, you will not have a great teaching experience

Cons

Kids are lazy and entitled, teachers are expected to do all the work to push them through to graduate especially after parents call

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive of teachers, somewhere somebody has to draw the line of that is expected for them to complete (paperwork) amount of testing is too much- we don't want to teach to a test

2. Teacher

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large district with excellent professional development opportunities.

Cons

Very competitive for district level positions

3. Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of training opportunities.
    Opportunities to move into positions other than teaching (mentoring, peers)
    It can be rewarding working with the kids.

Cons

EET is flawed and skewed towards biases.
    Lack of wiggle room with calendar requirements and student needs.
    Lack of communication between subject areas and requirements for each.

Advice to Management

Talk to teachers more regarding the requirements for students and how to apply the standards.

5. Great

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time

Pros

The benefits are really good

Cons

You Work excessively after hours

6. Before applying at a specific school, find out what letter grade the school received.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits including holiday pay, sick leave and personal days off. They made recent changes to give teachers more planning time during the year (early release days).

Cons

Very large district; some departments don't seem to communicate with each other; information given to employees is conflicting or inaccurate and often last minute.

Advice to Management

Spend time at the schools. Visit the classrooms, the self-contained units, the cafeterias, the media centers, PE fields. Walk around the campuses and in the hallways during arrival/dismissal times and when students change classes. Only then will you get a true sense of the unique culture within each school-for both students and staff members.

7. Very large, disorganized district. It is very difficult to contact people within the district with questions/concerns.

Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in South Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in South Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only reason I have remained in this district for 5 years is because I happen to have a wonderful principal and great school support, but nothing about the Hillsborough County School district has made me feel that way.

Cons

The teacher morale is very low here. Part of the reason for this is the new EET evaluation system. It is very stressful and puts teachers through 4-5 grueling observations a year (2 of which are "pop-ins" where the teacher has no idea when the evaluator will show up.) In what other profession do employees have 4 evaluations in a 10 month period?? You have more observations if you get lower evaluation scores or are a new teacher.
    Additionally, I have a masters degree, and the district decided to take away all masters salaries as a result of the EET grant because they believe in only rewarding effective teachers, not teachers with more education and higher degrees.
    My classroom is very old and dusty with mold I have a 20+ year old TV and computers. Everything is always breaking and the internet goes in and out all the time.

Advice to Management

Take away this evaluation system and go back to the old way of evaluating teachers. I am all for being evaluated and have been graded as a "highly effective" teacher 5 years in a row, but the amount of observing going on (4 times a year) is too much and is taking away from the education of our students. My students can feel the stress and low morale of the teachers on my faculty. This evaluation system has not been a positive addition at all. The small bonus rewarded for highly effective teachers is not worth the stress and effort it takes to get through these evaluations.

8. High school teacher

Current Employee - High School Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Teacher

Pros

Hillsborough county has a great system in place for new teachers. You are assigned a mentor for two years and they are a great help throughout the beginning of your career. Many trainings are paid and are offered throughout the summer.

Cons

The evaluation system, probably just like any other school in the country. We are evaluated numerous times throughout the year from the county. Also, the exams are county wide and we have to teach a specific curriculum. Little room for your own lessons

9. Strong Education System

Former Employee - Educator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Educator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth. Mentoring for teaching and administrative positions is strong throughout. Working with the children of the district is a rewarding opportunity.

Cons

At times the hours required to work.

Advice to Management

Continue the journey of being the best in the nation.

Great Place for a New Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work at a very supportive school and love my position as a 5th grade teacher. The district provides an overwhelming amount of support for new teachers.

Cons

Teacher evaluations and being penalized for things beyond your control such as your students' home life, administration being behind, assemblies that put your lessons behind, etc. So much information is thrown at you, that no matter how good you are, things slip through the cracks.

11. 2nd largest system in Florida

Former Employee - Drone in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Drone in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers have wide latitude in classroom methodology.

Cons

Sometimes weak administratiors don't back teachers.