Hillsborough County Public Schools

Updated September 14, 2014
3.3

Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent MaryEllen Elia
MaryEllen Elia

Pros
  • Probably more advanced than some other school districts (in 6 reviews)

• In such a large district there is better job security (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Peer evaluation system, evaluates you on only a snap shot of your teaching (in 5 reviews)

• Low salary, no professional growth, poor benefits (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment

Current Employee - Special Education Aide -- Paraprofessional  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Special Education Aide -- Paraprofessional in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Steady schedule. Can have benefits if full-time permanent position. Weekends and holidays off and summer break. Great work environment if you love the type of work that you are doing. Very rewarding work.

Cons

Very low compensation, almost minimum wage. For a position asking for college experience the pay is very low. Upward mobility and reapplication system (to move to other jobs) is very difficult. Most positions for aides and attendants are non-permanent. Very little if any training on what the job entails and what should be done. Often requires working outside normal hours for no pay and no "Comp Pay" if you are not a permanent employee.

Allow attendants and aides the opportunity to become permanent employees with benefits. Raise the pay not only for aides but teachers and other employees.

I love that kind of work!

Current Employee - Cafeteria  in  Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Cafeteria in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone works fast and efficiently to prepare breakfast and lunch daily for 650 students.

Cons

Pay is low, can't live off salary

Focused on Achievement

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The district does a great job of training most administrators to focus on giving teachers the training needed so students will achieve. There is a big push for funding for technology which really helps student engagement as well.

Cons

Training pay has been cut drastically and some trainings are unpaid.

Restore training pay to a level that makes it worth the employee's time. We already do so much work off the clock that it is only fair to pay us for training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hillsborough County Public Schools

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant work environment. Excellent teamwork. Ample vacation time. Great work hours

Cons

Low pay. Not much opportunity for advancement. Not many opportunities for summer employment and no paycheck over the summer

Make the salaries more competitive

Pays very little for the amount of experience that employees have.

Current Employee - Teacher Aide  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher Aide in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Summers and major holidays off. Health insurance and discounts from various associations.

Cons

Most positions are 10 month only, holiday pay comes out of previous paychecks. Do not receive a raise every year, only when funding permits.

Argue for better pay of employees.

High School Math Teacher

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  Plant City, FL
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Plant City, FL

Pros

Working with good students who are interested in the content of the courses THEY selected to take.

Cons

Working with students who do not desire to be eductated

Instead of insisting that employees take the responsibility, tell the parents to be good parents and to be involved in their children's educations. We provide them the tools to do this, and then give them a backup plan so they don't have to do anything except answer a telephone call.

Hillsborough County Schools is getting better

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Brandon, FL

Pros

Trainings are available to help teachers grow

Cons

Health insurance benefits are ridiculous for a family.

Teacher Perspective

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brandon, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very supportive staff and faculty.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Listen to your teachers AND students.

Long term job security within the district.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, great sick time and personal time. Long term job security. Just got a long deserved raise after years of NO raises.

Cons

At any school teachers have a LOT of work. Usually work past your regular day and on weekends and conference nights and special school events.

Many Principals are stressed out and pass this pressure on to the teachers. A lot of favoritism and gossip.

I recommend this school district.

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for different school districts and liked SDHC the best. I was at three different schools; however, they were all very close to each other and very different in population. It gave me a great variety of students to work with that kept the job exciting. I had great supervisors who were always in touch. The district provided reimbursement for the ASHA dues and were always having inservices that made it easy to keep up the CEU hours. IEP's were completed on a computer system that was easy to navigate. I had a caseload of approx. 75-80 students. I had great principals at all three schools.

Cons

Other than the usual scheduling nightmares at all schools, I can't think of any cons!

Worked for Hillsborough County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!