Hillshire Brands

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

CEO

Pros
  • Easy work, little accountability for your actions, good work life balance, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the people are great to work with that are not upper management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee morale is still horrible due to all of the turnover before and after the move to chicago (in 4 reviews)

• Does anyone in Middle Management know what's going on (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Hillshire provided an amazing work experience

Former Employee - Corporate Audit Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Corporate Audit Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was friendly, knowledgeable, and expected my best work. Good compensation as well.

Cons

Not enough work, most of the time I had to request new assignments and projects from my supervisor.

Great interaction between high level executives; I frequently spoke with chief executives, they were very approachable.

It pays the bills

Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

to take care of your family

Cons

be prepared to work hard

its ok but poor management

One of the greatest companies I've worked for.

Former Employee - Tax Analyst  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time

Pros

At the time this company was called Sara Lee Corporation. It was one of the best working experiences in my career. It had the best work-life balance, very good health benefits, and even better colleagues. Many of its personnel have worked for this company for 20+ years.

Cons

Business hasn't changed much since its restructuring. You'll have to be more proactive in taking charge in your training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thought they were a new innovative company but oops...got sold out

Former Employee - Who Cares - Titles Didn't Even Matter  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Who Cares - Titles Didn't Even Matter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

absolutely none. left a great career at a fortune 150 to come here and was left with nothing but a bruise on my resume. management said they were up and coming and then...no opportunity and eventually sold. It's not a merger its being sold haha. I feel bad for the poor souls who are left behind.

Cons

everything. especially if you work for people who were around sara lee days. my "sr manager" should have had the title of simple "lead technical analyst." go to training for managerial skills. At the company I was at prior to this one...managers and directors would have been thrown to the wind.

Super impressed that Tyson bought you. Hopefully they will actually provide a professional work atmosphere and get rid of everyone they brought from "another company". If you want to sit around your cube hearing other guys talk about who has the biggest boobs then please...work here

Running nowhere fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great and inspiring upper management

Cons

this place has turned into kraft 2.0

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Florence, AL
    Current Employee - Assembler in Florence, AL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Every 3 months you get a raise and top off after a year. Every year in July everyone gets a raise. Great benefits. Good pay. Special events that people participate in plant wide....cookouts Halloween costume contests breast cancer awareness.

Cons

Sometimes have to work 13 off 1 and another 13 days. Some team leaders, supervisors, and HR show favoritism and are corrupted. Plant is shutting down at the end of the year.

Open another plant somewhere in North Alabama since the current one is not up to date as the others around the world are.

Short time but really good

Current Employee - IT Staff  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team in the IT dept. Almost everyone is new, but the new team and reorganization is starting to pay off. Little politics, open to ideas. Great vision. Sometimes a little of micromanagement, but overall a one of the best places I've worked. Hoping that the Tyson acquisition will keep this. Otherwise they will mess with a good thing. At least the IT team works like a startup.

Cons

Sometimes you could be micromanaged, but I gather that this happens in a new team

Keep the vision and focus on customer service

Awesome!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere, great company benefits, leadership and open door policy.

Cons

I can't recall any challenges in my 4 months with Hillshire. I enjoyed being a part of the Ball Park team.

A real culture shift over the last year

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you want the experience in something/anything, you will get it here. There are opportunities around every corner to learn on the job and expand your knowledge.
    - Leadership has made a concerted effort to change the culture of the company. Over the past year, groups such as Demand Planning, Marketing and IT have had a major culture shift for the better. Employees really enjoy working together and many have created friendships that will last long outside of the workplace.
    - Extremely fast paced and energetic. A can-do attitude about anything.
    - Those with positive attitude go the furthest.

Cons

- Extremely lean. It's go-go-go-go from the second you walk in the door here. That's great, but even the best employees can't go at this pace for more than a couple years. A real potential at burnout and high quality talent leaving to be "closer to home," aka have more work-life balance and take a breather.

Tyson, our culture has really shifted over the past year and folks truly enjoy working here. Please keep true to your word and don't do any harm. We love our company and are sincerely afraid we are going to lose ourselves in the acquisition.

Also, our LGBT employee resource group is very important to us!

Hillshire Brands not your typically meat company

Current Employee - Retail Operations Manager  in  Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Retail Operations Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

A smaller version of a large company that has not forgotten what it means to be employee centered

Cons

Small company with limited forward potential. Struggles with the opportunity to connect all facets of the business as equal parts (Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing and Retail).

Worked for Hillshire Brands? Contribute to the Community!