Hillshire Brands

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.8

CEO

Pros
  • Easy work, little accountability for your actions, good work life balance, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the people are great to work with that are not upper management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, poor work/life balance, and it is always cold (in 5 reviews)

• There is no one in this company that I would want to work for (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractors are company scapegoat

Former Employee - Contractor in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Contractor in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Hillshire Brands

Pros

Friendly with little or stress because people are not held accountable when trouble surfaces.

Cons

Contractors are the management's scape goat. Management can not or will not make any decisions. Management, supervisors, and leads refuse to make a decisions because they do not want to be held accountable.

Tell the truth and quit dodging questions when ask a simple yes or no question!. Pay the contractors and suppliers on a timely basis rather than waiting to pay 6 months after invoice is past due.

"Organization that cares for its employees....riiiight"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, AL

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really decent pay for the area at the time. Pretty decent coverage benefit wise. When they did shut our plant down, they did give us a severance pay and 'try' at creating job fairs for employees to attend.

Cons

Unless you knew who to talk to and who to buddy up with, your growth potential in this company was nill. Also, they liked to say we are a 'team', treat each other like 'family', with respect; when I first started it might have been true but by the end of my employment, I had to stop from laughing every time they tried to use that line. A lot of half truths and whole lies, not to mention, a lot of 'last minute' your working tomorrow. Either you came or were held accountable, no matter if they just let you know an hour before shift end. Biggest thing was when they knew the company was shutting our plant down, they instead told us for months (and I quote) "Our plant isn't going anywhere, were only getting bigger, your jobs are safe" this was shortly before a majority of us had to find out via facebook that our plant was closing down in a few months. I understand big corporate logic, but when you like to spout 'family/team values' its a low blow to stab us in the back and act like you didn't know.

Stop trying to be fake and family friendly, embrace your large corporate-ness.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in New London, WI
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in New London, WI

I worked at Hillshire Brands

Pros

Good co-workers and staff can be good to work with. Decent pay and benefits are okay.

Cons

Long hours. Management is dishonest. Hard to advance within the company. Union environment is hostile. Hr department is inconsistent and sloppy and hard to work with.

NO Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, WI

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time

Pros

Good pay (not great). Buy food slightly over cost.

Cons

The People. The sense of entitlement the Union has instilled upon the employees has turned the majority of them into the biggest bunch of whiney snobs you'll ever come across. I've never seen 50, 60, and 70 year olds act like this! Ever!

People need to be held accountable. Starting from the Plant Manager on down (New London). It's the "good ole boys club" there and people get away with any and everything.

Great company with great vision

I worked at Hillshire Brands

Pros

People are very down to earth despite being in the head quarter corporate. They always willing to help you if you ask and be willing to adapt. Each and every employee knows their vision and always try to carry out the company missions

Cons

Not that I could think of

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Get paid monthly other than that this is a great place to work in fact my favorite place to work.

Great management

Fun and Rewarding, But not my long term placement

Current Employee - Line Attendant in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Line Attendant in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive wages, vacation time, and miscellaneous perks. Constant advancement potential as well as training and developing.

Cons

Long hours, poor work/life balance, and it is always cold. Management is afraid to make calls. So most things take weeks to accomplish, including safety.

Not a bad place to work. Good supervisors.

Former Employee - Deli Manufacturer in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Deli Manufacturer in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay and people are really good

Cons

policies and union are really bad

focus more on individual instead of generalized policies

Tyson please get rid of the old regime!!!

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am hoping that Tyson sees right through all the politics and idiocy that is Hillshire Brands.

Cons

There is no work life balance. The atmosphere is a joke. Cant you see it in people's eyes? Hard work is not appreciated. Its the ones that yap the loudest that seem to get noticed. Have a knack for pubic speaking, you will have a future here. there is no positive nothing here except for some of the marketing people. No one really cares not even HR. They wont admit it but seriously they could not care less.

Do a random walk through the floors and see what the place really feels like. The people you deal with are all pretty and well spoken. The real work is done in the ranks and you know it. You wont see alot of smiling faces here happy to be here. Clean house and get rid of the political cronyism. Bring some of your caring executives in. We want to believe in you.

Hillshire provided an amazing work experience

Former Employee - Corporate Audit Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Corporate Audit Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was friendly, knowledgeable, and expected my best work. Good compensation as well.

Cons

Not enough work, most of the time I had to request new assignments and projects from my supervisor.

Great interaction between high level executives; I frequently spoke with chief executives, they were very approachable.