Hillstone Restaurant Group
www.hillstone.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hillstone Restaurant Group Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Hillstone Restaurant Group – US – “Open Air Patio”

George Williams Biel

Pros:
  • "good money, consistent, can pick up as much as you want, good benefits"
    in 6 reviews
  • "some really great people/servers work there who all have different and exciting life goals"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "High volume can induce high stress but the flip side is you're making money"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Some choose the latter, and that's why such a high turnover rate for employees making"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

hard work-great pay!

Management Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat pay
very rewarding
awesome staff to work with

ConsHard work
no life-work balance
new management every week it seems

Very corporate--make sure it's the right fit

Greeter (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time for less than a year

ProsThey only hire very put together and intelligent people, so more often than not, the team you are working with is very competent. The work schedule is very flexible.

ConsSuper corporate and the managers really micromanage even the simplest tasks. If you need to hear reassurance and compliments, this isn't the place for you. Very high stress atmosphere--not for the person lacking confidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a way to have your employees respond to you without breathing down their necks about mundane tasks.

Stressfull but great money

Server Bartender (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prostips are good. food is good, the clients are generally good tippers. If you have regular guest they always tip great. sometimes made 300+ on a shift.

Consmanagement is always stressed out. too much micro management. always fear to getting fired over the little stuff

Advice to Senior Managementchill out! its just burgers and fries!

Demanding and somewhat dictatorial, but pays well if you know how to smile and nod.

Greeter (Former Employee)

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers are professional and friendly (many in grad school, many have been with the company for years), compensation is great (about $25/hr after tips as a greeter), and scheduling is very flexible (online scheduling system allows you to get shifts covered). The standards of service and quality of the product are high so you feel good with what you are selling. Very fast paced shifts are invigorating.

ConsSenior management visits each restaurant and dissects every element of the place (in an effort to maintain quality), berating managers in front of employees to the point that they think they are going to get fired on the spot. These managers in turn then pass along their stress/anxiety of having been told they are failing by dictating major, poorly thought out changes to all employees. Changes, once adjusted to, are usually revised in a couple of weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more open approach to management. You hire based on intelligence and have a smart and insightful staff, so value their perspectives before making changes.

Great company to work for and great customer base. You can make a great income at a great company with good benefits.

Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time for less than a year

ProsThe company is very innovative and great with customers. The attitude of the company is a great one that keeps not only its customers but also its employees in mind. There are good benefits available and good competitive pay.

ConsSome of the cons would be the very long hours and shifts. There are some mental and physical stresses that you have to take on being in this business but nothing unmanageable. During slow seasons income is less than in busy seasons.

good money

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Prosgood money, consistent, can pick up as much as you want, good benefits

Consharsh hours, intense training, longs days on feet

Advice to Senior Managementshow more appreciation

The experience I had was great, in a hospitality, marketing, and sales point of view I was able to delegate with clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

ProsIt was a team environment which I love and all the employees where willing to go out of the way and help someone out. Also being able to utilize my tools set me up for success.

ConsThe company runs on a very "totalitarian" method. I just believe there's away you can talk to your employees and understand life values in regards towards human rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice I can give is for the managers not to threaten employees and to respect their employees

If you want to work in the restaurant business, this is the place that will open many doors for you.

Rutherford, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, treats their workers great and really care about them. Tourists come because they hear so many good things but you also get the locals who always come back because it's where they feel welcomed.

ConsVery picky about everything. Do not mess up. They pay so close attention to detail. Even if the label is not completely centered, you messed up.

Great consistent place to work

Bartender (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat money and work environment

ConsDon't change with the times enough

Fun place to work and good pay for a serving job.

Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome team to work with. The front of house staff usually meshes well, but some employees can bring the team down. It can be a great job as long as you are positive and willing to work hard.

ConsThey tend to change management pretty often. Most managers are great, but some tend to micromanage...This becomes difficult to adjust to because servers get used to a certain management style.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micromanaging!

Worked for Hillstone Restaurant Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hillstone Restaurant Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hillstone Restaurant Group CEO George Williams Biel. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Hillstone Restaurant Group employees.