Hillstone Restaurant Group

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.2

George Williams Biel

Pros
  • Great money whether you are a server, bartender, manager, etc (in 7 reviews)

• good money, consistent, can pick up as much as you want, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high stress atmosphere--not for the person lacking confidence (in 5 reviews)

• Some choose the latter, and that's why such a high turnover rate for employees making (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Houston's overall is a great company to work for. Especially to begin your serving career.

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Great training program. Good way to start your career in serving as you learn all the basics to provide great customer service.

Cons

Management is very cold and sometimes just mean.

Treat your staff better.

Good money to be made

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

I loved our regulars, and they were often times the most generous tippers

There is a standard of excellence that makes for a great staff and a much more enjoyable experience for everyone

Good discounts and employee perks when dining in house.

Great healthcare

Cons

Guests are offered "member" quality service, there is somehow this tension generated with some guests where they treat servers as servants

BREAKS... what are those? Doubles have time to eat one meal, in house... That's it.

You constantly say you hire the best of the best. Don't forget that! Treat your staff accordingly.

Trust your servers on the floor vs. Management who have never actually served.

Cherry Creek Grill - Denver, CO

Former Employee - Greeter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Greeter in Denver, CO

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well paid for a hostess position, including tip share

Cons

Strict rules that make guests unhappy and there is nothing you can do about it. Management gets upset if you bend the rules at all. We were only allowed to have 4-6 people at a table. Any large groups were forced to split.

Houston's

Current Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

The money is great and my coworkers are awesome! The people who come to dine are ones who have been coming for years.

Cons

The shifts and long and management can be a little uptight. There are both mental and physical stresses that come with the job but nothing super crazy.

On top of their game

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

You will make money! Great clientele

Cons

You will be micromanaged! They have a spec for everything!

Worked as a server

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Team worked extremely well together; this led to a very efficient system where service and expectations were consistently the same. High volume as well.

Cons

There can be a ton of politics. Also, managers sometimes do a poor job of communicating expectations.

Decent pay, horrible corporate

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

There are loyal "guests" that frequent Hillstone and/or Houston's, that are very generous towards their servers and truly appreciate the awesome service given. This is a plus, and contributes to a decent pay check.
    The standard of service is great. I love the teamwork concept and how well the guests are treated.

Cons

Corporate. Everything about the way the enforce their new standards, treat their employees and change items for no apparent reason is all bad. They NEVER have their employees backs even if they have been with the company for 10+ years. They expect employees to clean bathrooms, change restaurant temperatures, mop the floors, wipe the tables all while helping teammates and providing exceptional service to their personal tables. There should be a minimum wage pay plus tips because of the insane amount of duties that the servers are expected to do.

Treat your employees with respect, just like you would a guest.
    Find a more efficient way to have a teamwork based system.

Will not be coming back

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Money is great, great teamwork with coworkers

Cons

Managers tend to really micromanage, show favoritism towards others and gossip with other workers.

Try to be nicer to your workers and show that you actually care about us, instead of just working us to death. If managers were anywhere close to being like David Biel, the work place would be more enjoyable.

Management is horrible

Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

The food is good, if you can afford it. The schedule is flexible, if you don't have a life outside of work. The money is great. But be prepared to fight for it and fight for your tables.

Cons

Ranking system! This is the worst way to section off the restaurant. Plus it created some problem we with other servers and the favorites of the management always get the top of the chart and most of the money. I had 6 different managers in less than 2 years. It's very much run like a boot camp. This can be good and bad at times.

Stop having sexual relationship with employees. Stop pretending like you're still in high school .

Great place to work while in school. The income was good and the schedule is fairly flexible.

Former Employee - Server in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were possibly my favorite part about this job. They were professional and great at their job but most of all the teamwork and friendships made it fun to go to work. The guests (at least at our location) were also wonderful. Very respectful and fun to serve. The managers put a lot of trust in the staff so it really felt like you were more than just a server.

Cons

The main con was the lack of enough servers, we constantly had multiple shifts open each day. Managers put a lot of pressure on the staff to pick up shifts. We could have benefitted from better/more respectful communication from the managers to the staff. Management was normally pretty young, with not a lot of experience in the restaurant industry; this in turn affected their ability to work under pressure.

Take the day in strides and remember the servers, hostesses, bar tenders and kitchen staff make the restaurant what it is. Your jobs are incredibly stressful but maintaining strong relationships and always showing respect will allow the days to run much smoother.

Hillstone Restaurant Group Photos