Hillstone Restaurant Group

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
3.2

George Williams Biel

Pros
  • Great money whether you are a server, bartender, manager, etc (in 7 reviews)

• good money, consistent, can pick up as much as you want, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high stress atmosphere--not for the person lacking confidence (in 5 reviews)

• Some choose the latter, and that's why such a high turnover rate for employees making (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

On top of their game

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

You will make money! Great clientele

Cons

You will be micromanaged! They have a spec for everything!

Worked as a server

Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Team worked extremely well together; this led to a very efficient system where service and expectations were consistently the same. High volume as well.

Cons

There can be a ton of politics. Also, managers sometimes do a poor job of communicating expectations.

Decent pay, horrible corporate

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

There are loyal "guests" that frequent Hillstone and/or Houston's, that are very generous towards their servers and truly appreciate the awesome service given. This is a plus, and contributes to a decent pay check.
    The standard of service is great. I love the teamwork concept and how well the guests are treated.

Cons

Corporate. Everything about the way the enforce their new standards, treat their employees and change items for no apparent reason is all bad. They NEVER have their employees backs even if they have been with the company for 10+ years. They expect employees to clean bathrooms, change restaurant temperatures, mop the floors, wipe the tables all while helping teammates and providing exceptional service to their personal tables. There should be a minimum wage pay plus tips because of the insane amount of duties that the servers are expected to do.

Treat your employees with respect, just like you would a guest.
    Find a more efficient way to have a teamwork based system.

Will not be coming back

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Money is great, great teamwork with coworkers

Cons

Managers tend to really micromanage, show favoritism towards others and gossip with other workers.

Try to be nicer to your workers and show that you actually care about us, instead of just working us to death. If managers were anywhere close to being like David Biel, the work place would be more enjoyable.

Management is horrible

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

The food is good, if you can afford it. The schedule is flexible, if you don't have a life outside of work. The money is great. But be prepared to fight for it and fight for your tables.

Cons

Ranking system! This is the worst way to section off the restaurant. Plus it created some problem we with other servers and the favorites of the management always get the top of the chart and most of the money. I had 6 different managers in less than 2 years. It's very much run like a boot camp. This can be good and bad at times.

Stop having sexual relationship with employees. Stop pretending like you're still in high school .

Great place to work while in school. The income was good and the schedule is fairly flexible.

Former Employee - Server in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were possibly my favorite part about this job. They were professional and great at their job but most of all the teamwork and friendships made it fun to go to work. The guests (at least at our location) were also wonderful. Very respectful and fun to serve. The managers put a lot of trust in the staff so it really felt like you were more than just a server.

Cons

The main con was the lack of enough servers, we constantly had multiple shifts open each day. Managers put a lot of pressure on the staff to pick up shifts. We could have benefitted from better/more respectful communication from the managers to the staff. Management was normally pretty young, with not a lot of experience in the restaurant industry; this in turn affected their ability to work under pressure.

Take the day in strides and remember the servers, hostesses, bar tenders and kitchen staff make the restaurant what it is. Your jobs are incredibly stressful but maintaining strong relationships and always showing respect will allow the days to run much smoother.

Made a ton of $$$ and memories

Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with (mostly) professional people, made a ton of friends, and a LOT of money! Served us breakfast in the mornings before shifts and offered half price meals to employees.

Cons

Micro-Managers who played favorites, and (at the time) it was difficult to get shifts covered, especially Sundays.

Great Company

Former Employee - Server in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Garden City, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mandatory training to make sure you are completely knowledgeable of every aspect of the company really sets it apart from other restaurants. I always felt that they prepared me for any task or question ever thrown my way.

Cons

Lack of benefits and always tough to take time off.

Great pay, crappy people

Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay in cash.

Cons

Management is uptight and arrogant. All they care about are looks. Waiters are catty and childish.

Typical of the Service Industry

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The values and standards of the company are great and the money is good.

Cons

The idea of working as a team often fails and creates a hostile environment because not everyone is held to the same standards or kept accountable. Long shifts with lots of side work and only a half hour break, even for a double working straight through on a slow day. Hardly ever makes cuts. They are consistently inconsistent in every capacity (recipes, training, attitudes, tolerance, etc.). Managers are young and inexperienced, many have never served before and do not know how to relate to servers or make the effort to understand the server perspective.

Be consistent, hold everyone to the same standards, lead by example and take responsibility for your actions.

Hillstone Restaurant Group Photos