Hillstone Restaurant Group

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

George Williams Biel

Pros
  • Great money whether you are a server, bartender, manager, etc (in 7 reviews)

• good money, consistent, can pick up as much as you want, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high stress atmosphere--not for the person lacking confidence (in 5 reviews)

• Some choose the latter, and that's why such a high turnover rate for employees making (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Made a ton of $$$ and memories

Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with (mostly) professional people, made a ton of friends, and a LOT of money! Served us breakfast in the mornings before shifts and offered half price meals to employees.

Cons

Micro-Managers who played favorites, and (at the time) it was difficult to get shifts covered, especially Sundays.

Great Company

Former Employee - Server in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Garden City, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mandatory training to make sure you are completely knowledgeable of every aspect of the company really sets it apart from other restaurants. I always felt that they prepared me for any task or question ever thrown my way.

Cons

Lack of benefits and always tough to take time off.

Great pay, crappy people

Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay in cash.

Cons

Management is uptight and arrogant. All they care about are looks. Waiters are catty and childish.

Typical of the Service Industry

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The values and standards of the company are great and the money is good.

Cons

The idea of working as a team often fails and creates a hostile environment because not everyone is held to the same standards or kept accountable. Long shifts with lots of side work and only a half hour break, even for a double working straight through on a slow day. Hardly ever makes cuts. They are consistently inconsistent in every capacity (recipes, training, attitudes, tolerance, etc.). Managers are young and inexperienced, many have never served before and do not know how to relate to servers or make the effort to understand the server perspective.

Be consistent, hold everyone to the same standards, lead by example and take responsibility for your actions.

Great part time job

Current Employee - Greeter
    Current Employee - Greeter

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The overall company structure is great and they really take care of their employees. It's a fun environment and great for what its worth.

Cons

Management is all over the place and wont listen to their employees. Causes tension with customers and internal employees.

Listen to your employees.

Great Pay, Bad Management Morals

Former Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

money is quick & good!!

Cons

Management is condescending. They are overworked & underpaid. They are young, inexperienced, & recruited from Ivy League hospitality schools or either promoted from waiting tables. Very inconsistent.

Get a grip!

One of the best restaurant groups to work for!

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time

Pros

consistent money and mostly professional staff; they run a very tight ship and those standards lend to a well run restaurant where those standards are actually enforced. Management and other employees actually care to do their best. the staff pretty much is one big family and they work really well together.

Cons

High stress environment; sometimes it's difficult to get your shift covered if they are understaffed and then you are stuck with working...especially if you have to cover two shifts - one for the house and then one for your shift;

Best Job I ever had!

Former Employee - Server in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Miami, FL

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great money! Great Food! The way the company works is one of the best in the business and very hard to top! The teamwork aspect and the consistancy of the food and how timely it comes out were great.

Cons

Very difficult place to work at long term as a server. Not a lot of benefits for servers, health insurance was great, but some companies provide servers with vacation time, but they don't. You can work overtime when they need help, but if they don't they won't let you, so the amount of money you can make is limited.

Station charts should be balanced and not have two servers who don't prebus next to each other. The third neighbor is going to struggle especially in some locations where servers don't always circular to certain sections.

Where to begin

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group as an intern

Pros

Gained valuable experience in terms of learning to multitask and work in a SUPER fast-paced environment. I've worked in many offices that I believed to be fast-paced, but nothing compares to the restaurant industry.
    Once I got the hang of things, I enjoyed the amount of responsibility they placed on interns. At some points, it was just the interns running the kitchen...I kid you not. Most of us had zero HIllstone experience, which is indicative of the intense training. They make sure you know the ins and outs of their kitchen, bar, bakery, dining room, etc.
    Loved the food.

Cons

I chose Hillstone because I wanted to experience an internship outside of a cubicle, but I sure missed a cubicle after the management program. From time to time, I would ask myself "What am I doing with my life?" as they made me clean out the walk-in or clean the pipes in an extremely hot pipe room while wearing business formal clothes.
    I hated feeling that I was constantly walking on egg shells. The amount of the times management yelled at me for my mistakes was countless. I dreaded going into that restaurant because I thought my next move would be criticized. It's supposed to be a learning experience, which is why we're hired in the first place, so it baffled me how angry management would get at a mistake.
    Don't blame the interns (which I thought was a policy)...Don't question who we are as people...Get to know us better...The intern bond only strengthened because we loved to complain about the the program.
    The industry is certainly for a kind of person that isn't me. Maybe you'll enjoy it...but the impression I received was that people don't actually like working there, it just pays very well.

To be fair, there is tremendous pressure on management to ensure that their restaurant operates perfectly, but don't sell the internship program like it is a fun-filled environment, or that management will be mentoring you throughout the 12 weeks. Nothing like that happened. I've worked in intense environments before and those were fun. I know most of the interns were grateful when the program ended, but I do believe they'll be taking their offer just because the pay is amazing and it's nice to be out of the job hunt.

Micromanaging Company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for greeters. Flexible work schedule. It is a good job for a college student that is just looking to work part time while in school. The company offers a get good food discount.

Cons

Constantly criticized by management.
    Bad company culture. Some of the training is too strenuous and irrelevant to the job.

Give your staff praise and create better work environments.

Hillstone Restaurant Group Photos