Hilo Medical Center Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014
Updated May 14, 2014

2.5

CEO

I was the switchboard operator at Hilo Medical Center.

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative  in  Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI

I worked at Hilo Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hilo Medical Center provided good fringe benefits to part-time employees like myself. I like working in the evening shift

Cons

tt gets nerve rackung when tryying to answer 4 to 5 phone calls at the same time. I wished that I was trained in other areas in the Admission Department.

I did notiice that that there is poo & low morale among employees and the employees do call in sick frequently. Probably the employees are tired from being overworked because of being short-staffed.

Former Employee Review

I worked at Hilo Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Right side of hospital serve the right side of population
    - Not very busy place to work.
    - Have an update technology that is comparable with the mainland...shocking!
    - Many locals are very nice to work with.

Cons

- Mismatch culture work place, locals mix with travelers staff creating a conflict with methodology.
    - No room for advancement.
    - Resist to change.

- Stand up for your jobs and for your employee. Put patients first not yourself. Learn to adopt to the mainland way for the sake of developing, you're not loosing anything from learning. Use locals work force, forget about travelers. Travelers cost more than locals-you may run away with retirement, but quality care is bad. Think about patient satisfaction/medicare medicaid etc from using travelers products.

Unprofessional, unorganized, lack of stability, favoritism, lack of support, poor management, unpredictable scheduling

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative  in  Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI

I have been working at Hilo Medical Center

Pros

Meeting people and the state benefits

Cons

Poor management. No incentives. No anniversary recognition. No pens. POOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYEES DUE TO POOR ENFORCEMENT IN EMPLOYEE'S PARKING LOT.

Employee's parking needs a gate to prevent visitors from entering. Provide incentives and acknowledge employee's anniversary with a lei. Copy Queen's Medical Hospital Cafe. Take a chance at working "undercover boss for a week." it will allow you to discover on first hand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to live, but hard to enjoy with only 2 days off together twice a month.

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Hilo, HI

I worked at Hilo Medical Center

Pros

It's Hawaii, its warm and beautiful. It's a relaxed environment. The pay and benefits were decent. People in HR were nice. I could talk to my boss. I got along with the other RT's. I liked the main ICU MD. Good place to get experience.

Cons

The work schedule in the RT Dept. was intense. The burn-out rate was very high. It felt like you were always at work. We only got two days off together twice a month. Upper management was all about image to the community and making money. They viewed patient's as customers and patient care as customer service. The hospital and state have money issues, so our manager was constantly talking about "increasing revenue" which got old. I'm here to care for patient's, not worry about making the hospital money.

Hire local grads and less traveler's. Listen to the concern's of the community and employees. Switch to 12 hour shifts to decrease burn out.

Worked for Hilo Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!