Hilti USA

Hilti USA Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Hilti USA CEO Cary Evert

Cary Evert

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedule for an easy work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great Products that can pretty much sell themselves"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "The idea of a work/life balance became something that only existed if all sales goals were met"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Upper management does not always communicate openly"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCulture of concern for worker's lives.

ConsSales focused and push for goals can be excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate changes sooner and more thoroughly.

A company that cares about its employees

Regional Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHilti is an effectively operated organization for having many locations and team members worldwide. Also, the leadership has a dedicated focus on corporate culture and talent development.

ConsChange usually comes slowly, but this should be expected when working for a company that holds a high standard of excellence for its processes and business strategies.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to have frequent employee reviews and development conversations. This type of personal attention makes Hilti a motivating place.

Overall a great company to work for if you like work life balance but raises or promotions are few and far between.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe work life balance is great, the overall compensation is decent but near the middle of the spectrum. Competitive atmosphere but not uncomfortable, you feel a sense of job security. You'd have to do something stupid to lose your job, they invest and coach their people to succeed.

ConsMoving up is difficult in this company. You have to be willing to move anywhere in the country and you have to do a lot of sucking up or you'll never move up even if the numbers say you should. Management doesn't want your opinion on how to make things better and if you speak up you'll be blacklisted. Yes men only.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your top employees a reason to stay. A small raise goes a long way in making them feel appreciated and loyal to the company. The promotion criteria is too stringent, 150% of plan and you deny a promotion over an unattainable fleet number or something else out of the reps control.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cool company but got laid off....

Account Manager Proshop (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome products. Some of the best sales training in the world. Stable company. The company is privately owned so they will do what it takes to make the company succeed. There are no stock holders to answer to.

ConsGoals are somewhat unrealistic. Must be able to relocate. Stressful. The Account manager 1 position is tough because it is basically inside sales/retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on marketing. The brand is awesome.

Hilti @ Home Depot

Pro Shop Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProvide extensive training including 3 weeks in Tulsa. Management is generally supportive.

ConsToo many meetings. Did not understand the Home Depot market

If you can drink the Kool-Aid and work long hours, this is for you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for less than a year

Pros- Possibilities for advancement if mobile and good at politics
- Good cafeteria
- Vertically integrated company (learn different aspects)
- Business outlook should be improving

Cons- Politics
- Culture is not for most
- Rewarded for number of hours worked, not results
- Highly bureaucratic, tons of red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more autonomy and stop judging performance based on hours worked. Judge on productivity instead. Say what you mean, and do what you say

Once a great global organization now unraveling.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood products, services, initial training. Allot of good people however many have left recently.

ConsManagement more concerned with their own careers than with doing a good job. Focus is on managing up not down. Hr area is a mess, to many new people with no connection to the company or the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus your management on their teams not their careers. Company is headed backwards away from being a true global organization.

Great potential but struggles with basics

Account Manager III (Former Employee)
Toledo, OH

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHilti quality is known on job sites.
Competitors have better distribution but they don’t have the reliable tools. Customers agree that Hilti is the best but can’t always get products in time or afford the prices so I lost many orders to local distributors.
Hilti hires good sales people and customer service representatives.

ConsHilti’s problems are due to bad managers at every level. They change territories and managers often so you hope you get a good manager that knows the construction business and the Hilti politics.
When my manager gives me a target he can’t explain how targets were set and can’t tell me how to achieve them because he doesn’t know himself. And targets are mostly unreachable keeping me from earning bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should stop touting about breaking a billion and pay his sales people by giving us realistic KSO2 targets and realistic chances to earn the AM Promotion. Promote excellent people-leaders into management positions regardless if they relocate or not.

Much room to improve

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSwiss and German innovation in the tools. 401K. Easy to get hired as a salesman--all you have to say you’ll relocate to be promoted. Good training in the beginning but quickly tapers off. Comply with CRM (laptop) and your boss is happy. Good reputation in the construction industry. It’s a good short term job and you can learn a lot and apply it to another company.

ConsLacks a good culture. Most regional managers preach what executives want them to but privately say and do something else. Regional, division, and executive management is young, unskilled, inexperienced and confused. Hilti is a large bureaucratic and top heavy European company that treats employees as overhead. Consistently pays below other sales jobs. Salespeople need help figuring out how to be paid and how to earn bonus. Rules of making bonus often change. High salesman turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the benefits. Stop the 2-3 day team camps. You’re embarrassing yourselves because you can’t suddenly make employees like Hilti when your actions speak louder than your words. Example: Making account managers that earn a salary increase be paid only by performing again the following year. No other company does that. That’s demoralizing to a good salesman to be told, “You had a fantastic year this year but you have to do it again next year in order to be paid”. It’s the main reason I left. In 6 years, I grew my territory an average of 13% per year in a lousy economy and my salary went up 4.5% in the 6 years. My new company will gladly use my skills and I make more income with a lot less frustration. Make KSO 2 more attainable. Stop the CCV. A marketing program where Hilti makes money, the customer saves money, and the salesman is penalized is a bad program.

Hilti

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time

ProsGood work life balance at Hilti

ConsTo many egos, no room for upward mobility

Worked for Hilti USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hilti USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hilti USA CEO Cary Evert. All 159 reviews posted anonymously by Hilti USA employees.