Hilti USA Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

Hilti USA CEO Cary Evert
Cary Evert

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule for an easy work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• training, good culture, great feedback, great products, flexible (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a work/life balance became something that only existed if all sales goals were met (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management does not always communicate openly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice Company.. But

Current Employee - Finance Analyst  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Hilti USA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They really stress their culture and beliefs. Generally a happy work place. Have competitive benefits for all full time employees.

Cons

- Compensation is below market value
    -Delayed advancement opportunities
    -Too much emphasize on sales is causing a neglect in other facets

Great company!!!

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great family oriented company with great people and great training.

Cons

If you are not mobile, don't waste your time here.

change your mobility for promotion policies, it does not work!!!

Good steady company to build a career

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good sales organization with other opportunities. Flexible work schedule for an easy work life balance. Great product to sell. Good consultive customer centric sales approach.

Cons

Large slow organization. A bit too slow in advancement for my taste. It can get boring if you don't love sales.

Get more creative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place for structured training

Former Employee - Director  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Director in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training, market leading products, global culture

Cons

Not great for minorities, specially under current North American president. Promotions at executive level not based on performance in North America.

Fun Job but became very micro managed

Former Employee - Account Manager I  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager I in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training. Quality products. Mobiltiy and education is the key to advancement.

Cons

Too much rediculous paperwork regarding future goals etc rather than tools to help sell product.

Low skilled managers and low morale

Former Employee - Account Manager III  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager III in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many products are considered high quality compared to competitors. They finally got rid of Ford Transits and now have option for truck and large vans as vehicle options. Tool repair turnaround is 5-6 days. Good after-market services on most products.

Cons

For a sales company, Hilti has unusual management philosophies. The way salespeople are paid changes with the wind. Employees do not have a say on their targets. Targets and quotas magically appear with no qualitative or quantitative explanation or getting buy-in. You are told to just accept them and then they use them against you when you don’t achieve them. Senior management is arrogant and egotistical and never address the morale problem. Meetings and conference calls are quiet. Regional managers and sales people are frightened to speak up. It’s unnerving. What’s worse is that the division and regional managers I had knew very little about construction or Hilti products to be helpful to there salesmen. So me and my fellow salesmen just wondered around blindly.

Go back to basic on how to treat employees. Most employees have little respect for managers. Hilti has a potential to be a better company but the poor leaders that are in place will prevent the company from being a good place to work. I wish my former fellow employees the best.

Too many politics

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hilti USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good reputation in industry for quality of products

Cons

I was right out of college when I worked at Hitli and was fired after 8 months. I had a strange set up where I was hired without an opening so they had me help out in whatever territories had a need for some extra sales help. This meant I would be the one making cold calls and trying to bring in new customers while the main account manager did the customer service and managed large accounts. The person who I directly reported to wasn't really involved with my day to day activities because the territory I mainly worked in was managed by a different regional manager. On a day to day basis I reported to this regional sales manager who was thrilled with my work however he was new to the company and when the manager I reported to directly decided to let me go, he did not put up a fight for me. After bringing in several new accounts and busting my ass to prove myself, I was let go. I had countless positive emails about my performance which I kept and sent to HR. They simply told me they would be having a talk with the manager about the mixed feedback. The truth is the manager who I reported to on paper didn't like me because I am very professional and clean cut, he had told me one day that If I was to make it in this industry I was going to have to fit in better. Meaning fit the typical construction worker mold, good ole boy.

There is alot of favoritsm that goes on and this needs to be put under control.

Abominable

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Seemed to be good money

Cons

Too much travel, not enough

unnecessary to go back and forth to the office for an outside position

Over all good company !!! Excellent Training, Pay is on the low side.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Training and Support. Good benefits.

Cons

Managers inflate what is possible to earn. Although the bonus programs do allow you to reach certain levels often times the ability to reach those levels that managment has set is unrealistic. To make the same each year you must grow your territry at least a minimum of 10% otherwise you can sell the same and make significantly less money.

Goals that are unrealistic cuase sales people to be apathetic which fosters a cancerous culture. keep the goals attainable.

Good career starting point then exit

Current Employee - Account Manager III  in  Odessa, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager III in Odessa, MO

I have been working at Hilti USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Recognized as a quality tool
    Values college degree
    Competition copies
    Training on products
    Tend to hire good people
    If your family doesn't mind moving, it can be an ok place to work.
    Good company for 2-3 years then go to a better company.

Cons

Pay is very low
    Negative attitude of management.
    Management is incompetent and they poke fun at their subordinates. No direction and no help after basic training. Revolving door of managers.
    Quarterly changes to how people are paid causes a deep lack of trust.

Hilti needs a complete replacement of division managers, general managers, and ceo. Morale of field salespeople will soar once competent managers are in place that appreciate Hilti and truly care about teamwork. Compared to other companies I have been with, this leadership is pathetic in how it treats people and poor in managing day to day operations. Stop changing territories so much. In my 4 years so far with Hilti, I have had 3 Regional Managers. Two of them knew nothing about Hilti, construction, or how to sell an expensive product. Move away from your laptops and lead. We will follow you if you start setting an example and give us reason to trust you.

Worked for Hilti USA? Contribute to the Community!