Hilti Worldwide

Updated November 23, 2014
3.7

Hilti Worldwide CEO Christoph Loos
Christoph Loos

Great company with really deep pockets

Current Employee - Marketing in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best in class at many things
    Does things the right way
    Ethical
    Learning environment
    Great people

Cons

Too many consultants who can say but are unable to do

Keep egos in check
    Hiring top talent from outside hasn't worked

Mixed: Excellent products, lack of customer focus, awful system of commissions and bonuses!!!

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time

Pros

* Excellent products, great systems, complete solutions to specific engineering problems.
    * The products are easy to use and very straightforward; you could say that they are fool proof; all power tools make a "click" when used correctly.
    * Excellent school for construction sales, top technical training, great opportunity to learn.

Cons

* Too many changes in medium and upper management in short periods of time. I had 6 different bosses in 5 years, all of them left the company. During that time I also had 2 different Directors (not in the company anymore); the HR Director and most of the HR department also left ...
    * HR Department offers you a better position for the same salary and promises to give you a raise after 1 or 2 years.... but the raise NEVER arrives!
    * The company is so focused on getting new customers that they do not pay proper attention to regular, recurrent customers. As a result, they gain one client but lose two or three.
    * Commission scheme for salespeople is unfair. They split the sale with salespeople & BDs that did not have any intervention on the sale, the specification, or even the collection process.... just because the address of the client is in their territory (but the sale was made on-site in a project located in a different state). By the way, Business Developers do not get commissions on sales, so by splitting the sale, Hilti saves 50% of the commission (no employee gets this money)!

I would work on the commission and bonus incentives to make the system fair. Pay people that work more and close more sales better. You should ALWAYS offer better positions to people ONLY if you are going to provide better remuneration; it is unfair to have same level managers making completely different amounts of money when they produce the SAME RESULTS. I would stop calling lateral movements "promotions". A promotion is when you get a position of more responsibility and better salary. When you are a Director and then you become a Manager... that is not a promotion, that is a demotion!!!

Raise salaries to those of similar companies in the industry, i.e., 3M, BASF, Sika, Henkel, Lafarge.

Well-structured, disciplined, and engaging company

Current Employee - Training
    Current Employee - Training

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility - you can push the limits of your job, change positions, etc. The engineering mindset means there are not a lot of surprises. Change happens - sometimes slowly, but you can be a significant player no matter what role you have in the company. People want to help each other out - you rarely hear "no" from a co-worker without a very good explanation.

Cons

The process orientation can sometimes be overwhelming - files are stored 8,9, 10 layers deep in electronic folders, opening a job requisition requires multiple emails and approvals and still takes weeks or even months. For people used to more agile companies, the pace can sometimes be frustrating - bosses want things yesterday but it takes time to get the details sorted and you are required to have the details sorted.

Working at Hilti

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some very intelligent individuals as peers

Cons

Promotion from within hard, must move, To move up you must go through Tulsa OK.

LISTEN to your employees

Did you remember to drink your corporate Kool-Aid today?

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide

Pros

I've been with the company for almost 2 years now, and although there are not a lot of pros to mention, I'll be fair and mention a few. First, the benefits are pretty good compared to other firms in the industry. Second, many of my co-workers are decent people and we seem to have bonded well since we're all in the same boat so to speak. I think my working relationships will be the one thing I value when I have left the company.

Cons

On to the cons... First, we wear logo'd "red shirts" as a uniform. I personally don't feel very professional when I'm asking C-level executives to treat me like a professional when I don't look like one. Uniforms are only acceptable when you're the business owner, or if you're a service sales rep. taking orders. Second, we drive red logo'd company trucks- also tacky. Maybe we should bite the bullet and spend some money on advertising and marketing like our competitors. Third, we're micro-managed. We're supposed to hit 13 accounts a day, and report all actions on our laptop... that's not possible if you get into any meaningful sales conversations. Fourth, you never know how you're getting paid day to day. The payplan changes monthly, and once you figure it out, it changes again. Fifth, working for Hilti means 6am service calls on jobsites, walking in the rain and mud, getting your hands greasy, ripping your clothes, and lugging around 35lb. tools up flights of stairs.

Although there are pros and cons for working at Hilti, I do have a few really good and useful recommendations for management. After all, a company needs to figure out how to run an efficient shop while being good to it's employees. First, separate the sales force into two functions: true professional sales, and service sales. If it were me, I would have my sales pros driving unlogo'd cars in slacks and a collared shirt, calling on all office staff, PM's, engineering, and purchasing. The service crew can have the red trucks and red shirts, do all DX or cert/tool training, handle repairs, visit all jobsite staff, and visit office warehouse crews. Second, pay the sales crews in addition to their base salary, a flat uncapped commission rate of 10-15% for every dollar over their quota no matter what product group is sold. Third, start a marketing/advertising campaign and get involved with the US contractor audience in print, event sponsorship, and TV. Fourth, micromanaging should only be reserved for those reps who need the guidance. Don't make it a company wide requirement. Fifth, reduce office politics. The DM/RM/AM relationship should have an open door policy, and do sensitivity training to make sure management knows how to work with different personality types. Sixth, stop making AM's responsible for damaged demoed inventory. This should be a write off since it's part of the sales process. Seventh, reward your employees who do a good job. Make them feel like they're part of the team.

Internship at Hilti

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaan (Liechtenstein)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaan (Liechtenstein)

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good work life balance and working hours.

Cons

The location (Liechtenstein) is far away from everything.

One of the most fascinating companies of the world

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Surat (India)
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Surat (India)

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best products in the world, a company with great product leadership around the world

Cons

Conservative with respect to emerging markets

Be more enterpreneurial

Absolutely amazing company to work for.

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have now worked for Hilti (GB) almost 1 year and it is by far the best place I have worked. All the Regional Managers are amazing people and everyone in the company is friendly, helpful and just great people. If you work hard you will get recognised and promoted. I just read a bad review of Hilti GB on this website and most of this is not true. Like any job it has it's moments but in general it's an excellent fun job and 99% of the people here love it. You will always get the oddball, disgruntled, pessimistic and angry employee(s) but they are far and few between in this company. I would highly recommend Hilti to friends and family.

Cons

It's not easy learning so many products but the team is there to support you when in need. Great training is also provided in Bredbury, Manchester.

Keep doing what you are doing!!

Great Place to Learn

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santiago (Chile)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, great company, and good climate.

Cons

Salary a bit below Industry in LATAM

Terrible I promise you AVOID AVOID AVOID

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hilti Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With out sounding like a disgruntled employee there are none. Initially on the surface for the first few months things are great but then the noose is placed around your neck. Excellent long term benefits like pension but that is it. Soon switching to all must drive a van.

Cons

Pressure selling.
    Managers that are out for them selves (say one thing to you then something else to there boss)
    Its all about the number of visits you do not the quality of a call so the customer comes second.
    Bonus structure very unfair a 50/50 split with some people not doing any work and getting half your bonus.
    Lots of internal marketing ot being in the top times 100 but do your research they are dropping year on year
    They do like to brain wash you but they need to start listening to the marketing they put out.

Start taking on managers that are genuine and not just trying to get to board level.
    You know who you are (The YES men)
    You also may want to check the facts most people doing 8 to 10 calls a day are not just like you they are YES men