Hilton Garden Inn

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.3

CEO

Pros
  • working with the puvlic and meeting new people (in 7 reviews)

• You are constantly meeting new people in this position that come in to stay at the hotel (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management team is micromanging their lower management team (in 5 reviews)

• Poor management, No loyalty to employees, No Benefits you get hurt on job you pay the bills (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing to complain about.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Hilton Garden Inn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Very relaxed.

Cons

Job can be VERY slow on weekends having less than 5 customers. I do not understand how keeping the restaurant is profitable on weekends, aside from after party events.

Completely disorganized

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn part-time

Pros

Not many pros to working here except the money... which is a pro at every place of work. Something unique to hotels is that you get to meet so many people from all different parts of the country and the world.

Cons

I received about five minutes of training on my first day. I didn't find out certain rules or ways of doing things until three or four months working there. I didn't mind this too much, but it set the stage for a total disaster of a hotel.

The managers have no idea what they're doing, yet they seem to think they should micromanage everything employees do. They're so busy micromanaging that they don't have time to do their actual jobs. We would always run out of food or liquor, even though we would notify a manager before we ran out. It was so embarrassing when a guest would ask for something and I would have to tell them we were out, even if it was something as simple as mozzarella sticks.

Scheduling was a nightmare. I will just leave it at that.

What's funny is that I saw everyone who originally worked in my department quit one by one, until every employee was a new hire. Every single one. I stayed because I needed the money. But after a certain point, it's just not worth it anymore.

Try to understand your employees.

Great place love that you get to meet so many new and different people.

I have been working at Hilton Garden Inn

Pros

i love the relations that you build with people here the fact that you can meet someone from a whole different side of the world and become something like a best friend to them.

Cons

just plain and simple making people happy its hard sometimes but in the long run its worth it

Should have been better

I have been working at Hilton Garden Inn

Pros

GM great to work for.

Cons

AGM is the worst person I have ever met.

Get rid of AGM. Absolutely toxic!

Good experience while working, however, there were management issues when I left

Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer
    Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Generally co-workers were upbeat and positive. Probably as a whole, genuinely the sincerest and friendliest co workers and environment I have ever worked in. varied schedule, I loved working independently and part of a team. Probably one of the most enjoyable positions I have ever had.

Cons

Promised a raise that never came.
    Upon initial hiring, I worked 40 hours per week and was told I was full time. Thanksgiving arrived and I had worked 6 months, I didn't receive holiday pay. When I asked why, management informed me that I was only a part time employee although I had worked 36 plus hours for 6 months. Finally, after several management meetings, management considered me full time. However, they only considered 3 of 6 months full time. By doing this they didn't have to pay holiday pay for Thanksgiving, Christmas and new years even though I had been working full time hours for over 6 months and morally deserved it. Also by doing this yearly I would have had to wait for a paid vacation until fall instead of spring when it was supposed to occur.
    Lastly, I gave two weeks notice but had to leave after one week due to my father's ill health and left numerous messages with my manager who failed to return my calls and implied that because I left early due to my father's sudden illness, he wouldn't give me a recommendation letter. I never missed a day, I never was late and if he needed me to work security or in housekeeping I was always willing, although my job was maintenance engineer.

Show you appreciate employees with action: If manager tells employees they will get a raise, follow through if someone is hired in at 36 plus hours weekly, consider them full time at initial hire date.

Cook at Hilton Garden Inn

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Hilton Garden Inn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent place to work. Pretty easy work most of the time compared to private restaurants. No boss hawking over your shoulder ever.

Cons

bad benefits. work holidays of course and insanely early mornings in my opinion for breakfast shift. have to get up at 4 am so i stick to dinner shift 3pm-10.

Fun, Fast-paced environment

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were amazing and always kept the environment upbeat. My direct supervisor, Assistant Manager and GM were always very accessible and friendly.

Cons

The normal issues that may arise in a hotel were the biggest cons I can think of. However, if you've ever worked at the front desk at a hotel you can relate that just as terrible as the lows can be if you enjoy the hospitality industry the highs can be enough to out weigh the challenges. There are of course times when guests are upset, you stand for 6-8 hours depending on your shift and breaks are short. But again the cons are typical of any front desk position. They pay is very standard. I believe my compensation was around $10.50 an hour.

Allow more opportunities for growth potential.

It wasn't a bad place to work.

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn

Pros

The people were nice to work with.

Cons

Not much work to do, 4 hour shifts a day in the kitchen maybe 4 days a week.

Bartender

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Casper, WY

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the Food and Beverage very precise and hard working. The people there really care about the guests. Made great money. One of the best jobs I ever had. I wish I could of brought the job with me.

Cons

Liquor and Beer prices are high for the area.

OK company to work for

I worked at Hilton Garden Inn

Pros

People great benefits and pay

Cons

A lot of micro managing.

None