Hilton Worldwide

Updated December 10, 2014
3.5

Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta
Christopher Nassetta

Pros
  • Team member travel program is a huge plus (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, the Team Member Travel program is alright when you can get it to work (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about work life balance but give it all talk as if they do care (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and advancement can take time depending on the management company (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall positive work environment, with room for improvement on payback benefits.

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

Fellow employees are easy to work with and culture is fairly relaxed. Management cares and is involved without micromanaging.

Cons

Sales teams can be a bit arrogant, and the employee travel discount program is pretty lacking. Health insurance costs should be lower for a company this size. Hotels seem slow to embrace new technology.

Hilton Worldwide is ok.

Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company values and growth potential.

Cons

Since being acquired by Blackstone they are very tight with employee rates.

N/A

Ok

Current Employee - N/A in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, paid holidays, pay

Cons

No life!! Too much drama

Give people their requested days off.

Team lead of front desk operations

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

training, moral, environment, opportunities, management,

Cons

compensation, salary, long hours, benefits, time

More development

No work/life balance for very meager compensation

Former Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with some nice people, Hilton employee perks (that would have been great if you ever actually were allowed to take time off), great 401k package and full benefits.

Cons

terrible hours, compensation, time-off policies, having less respect and benefits than the employees you are managing (unionized), lack of control, lack of opportunities to move up. The hours (between 10-12 a day, and 5-6 days a week) sometimes ran into each other, where you would be working 3pm–2am, take a nap at the hotel, then open the restaurants at 6am and work until 3pm again. No consideration given in either compensation or future requests for time off.

Management in the food and beverage department were an absolute mess. The Director ended up resigning after doing such a poor job. My immediate superior was excellent and totally got it, but the upper management above him were not able to ever get anything done. Most of the time they would say that they would fight for something on our (the managers) behalf and then completely go back on it the minute they were in front of their superior.

Overall, Hilton is a good company to work for, if you're not concerned about how much money you make.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hilton has great benefits and the employee travel program is probably one of the best. You are able to get free rooms, if the hotel you choose is owned and managed.

Cons

I don't feel like they pay enough for the amount of work that you do. The turnover rate is very high.

Be willing to compensate people for what they are worth.

Banquet Server

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hilton Worldwide part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays well, free food in the cafeteria, uniforms are laundered. Generous training and travel benefits.

Cons

This job payed well, but if you're not tight with the right people, you won't get the best paying parties. Pay is gratuity based and the pool is controlled by a few people and the manager. If you are not Latin and willing to work 24/7 without food or a break, you will be branded, not a hard worker. Be prepared to work illegal hours at this joint. If you're lucky they'll give you a room to sleep over because your next shift is in 5 hours! Or, not, you can just sleep in a chair in the cafeteria! If you're unavailable for one second, you'll be dropped from the schedule. Be aware that there are periods that there is no work at all, so you'll need another job, but you better be right there waiting by the phone in case the Conrad calls!

You will not eat well, sleep well and when you gain weight or your hair falls out you'll be shamed for not looking your best!

I would not put this place on my resume because they have no respect for the law and would say anything beyond the standard legal answers in an employee reference. This was a total waste of two years of my life in a job where I lost tons of self esteem and I can't get that time or self worth back. Don't waste you life working for the Conrad unless this company can reassure you that management has changed since 2011.

I'm a hard worker and never shy about taking on as much as I can, but this place took way too much of my soul. I certainly hope things have changed.

Address the problems in Banquets. Make sure your managers care enough to provide a decent work/life balance. Maybe, some managers need more training in how to make a schedule that allows people a legal amount of rest? Create a diverse workforce where it's not shameful to be white or not the perfect size (I hate to have to say that, I really do). Good luck and I hope you're listening Hilton.

unprofessional staff

Former Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good hotel discount and free lunches
    uniform provided
    networking with upper class people

Cons

unprofessional staff, terrible hours, giddy & delightful to mean people. ridiculous rule book- only some people had to follow it- noticed high turnover and realized all the signs soon into the position

upper management was rude and unfair. they played favorites and talk negatively behind staff's back

Great start if you want to have a career in the hospitality industry

Current Employee - Bell Person in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bell Person in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HILTON ROOM RATES!. Opportunity for advancement, being part of such enormous hilton family, Feeling empowered, meeting guest is an honor

Cons

Management crappy, Hilton Policies, Pay is below competitive, You work more than your compensated for.

Be more caring! We are only human. Also, the more im paid the more i'll give the job all that i have.

Decent money when scheduled; Old facility and a franchised Hilton owned by a company that mismanages it.

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Hilton Worldwide part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make decent money as a server, especially over the summer. I liked most of the people I worked with, including my managers.

Cons

When it's slow, though, you don't get scheduled much, and seniority plays a huge role in scheduling. It's a Hilton in name only. The hotel is franchised and is actually owned by First Hospitality Group. They own a number of different hotels in the Chicagoland area. Their overall management of the facility could use quite a bit of work.