Hilton Worldwide

Updated December 25, 2014
2.4

Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta
Christopher Nassetta

Pros
  • Team member travel program is a huge plus (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, the Team Member Travel program is alright when you can get it to work (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about work life balance but give it all talk as if they do care (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and advancement can take time depending on the management company (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Former Employee - Content Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hilton Worldwide was a great company to work for to gain initial experience.

Cons

The pay was extremely low compared to the market.

Pay more and you will retain more talent.

Tons of promise but no hope

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

Being employed in a tough job market and working from home.

Cons

low pay, long hours, horrible compensation plan, training that was as close to a waste of time i've ever been in. the chances of you being able to use your discount at a hotel are lower then your chances of hitting the lottery. you most provide computer, pay for phone, pay for chair, desk, internet connection. Waste of time when on your first day of training they demand an on the spot drug test as well as a photo to prove you have a nice work space but are not willing to spend a dime towards theses requirements.

stop making it a revolving door and build a strong team

Not good for anyone who doesn't fit neatly into Hilton's limited definition of a good employee.

Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good travel benefits, ability to work at home.

Cons

Limited ability to get time off. Difficult to change schedules. Makes you feel like you've lost control of your own life. Employees who think outside the box--even when it is to the advantage of the company--are discouraged. Tools for further empowerment are repeatedly promised, but they are the proverbial pot at the end of the rainbow.

Recognize employees who have a great deal to offer, even if they do not fit into your precise metrics. Management needs to do more than talk the talk; it needs to start walking, too. Management preaches customer service, but it always gets down to the bottom line, which the last time I checked was at a pretty healthy level.

No Development in the "Development Coach", job is to let the resv. know only what they do wrong, not motivating at all

Current Employee - Reservations Work From Home in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservations Work From Home in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in hours, Hotel discounts, work from home, Dallas Reservations.

Cons

Not motivating at all, all you hear is what your doing wrong every time you hear from supervisor or "DC", monthly bonus is almost impossible and depends on luck of the calls not your actions. I lost my job due to being sick and running out of emergency time. The dc was out to get rid of me and found a loop of 3 write ups/yr. I had one month out of 56 that I did not meet the 95% attendance and lost my job.

Get rid of the old timers with narrow views that truly do not want to coach employees or develope them, I was never developed. Dc's have way to much subjectivity on evaluating an employees.

Reconsider the service industry

Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

OnQ is a very good Property Management System and easy to use.

Cons

Working for Hilton was the goal I had while I worked front desk at a low budget independent property for many years. The hospitality industry will most likely make you hate people. Hilton was sadly no better. Low pay (around $10 with experience) for a lot of headache and stress. Standing all day, being busy juggling phones and dealing with cranky travelers who often yell and complain is no way to live. I had to get out.

Management will beat you down

Current Employee - Reservations Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservations Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This could be a great company to work for,

Cons

So true what the other poster stated, you are micromanaged to death here, they will beat you down telling you every little wrong thing you do on a daily basis, rarely do you get praise for all the positives you do.

Show a little faith and trust in your employees, they are not idiots. No wonder there is such a huge turnover.

Misleading

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

large company with many employee perks

Cons

culture of adequacy....not looking to make real change as it is organized with a fiefdom mentality where all are too afraid to make a mistake.

Listen to the employees that have real experience and not execs with newsletter educations in the digital space

eCommerce Manager, Edge Fund

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hotel discounts, well known brand, good city, good location, good benefits, friendly peers, covered parking, snack area, vending machine, water fountain

Cons

Extremely high turnover, poor training, unusual workloads (portfolios of 30+ hotels), mismatch hiring (e.g. they hire strategists and place them in analytical roles), unclear departmental divisions, busy work for the sake of busy work (endless checklists, audits, etc), inexperienced people managers

Are you a ninja master at placing checks in checkboxes? Are you passionate about copying and pasting text, uploading images, and correcting spelling? Do you love pulling reports and creating graphs, leaving the meaningful work to other people? If you answered yes to all three, than this is the job for you!

Hilton's eCommerce department didn't hire people like the above when I was there. Instead, they hired seasoned professionals from Fortune 500 companies and digital ad agencies, with backgrounds in strategic digital marketing, and placed them in predominately administrative and highly mundane eComm Manager roles. Not a good fit.

We were assigned portfolios consisting of dozens of hotels (mostly motels), and we were expected to conduct endless audits, pull endless reports, and fill out endless checklists that constituted our day-to-day responsibilities - all day, every day. Additionally, we were responsible for website maintenance (swapping out promos, correcting spelling, etc). It appears things haven't changed. The average tenure of eCommerce Managers is currently around 1 year before leaving the company. High turnover = unhappy employees.

They should consider only hiring individuals with hospitality backgrounds and specifically individuals from Revenue Management. The roles are very similar - analyzing data and conducting root cause analysis for assigned hotels (but from an online perspective and with the added layer of audits, checklists and website maintenance...and more audits and checklists).

Actual online strategy/execution is managed by other teams (Demand Generation, Search, Social, etc.).

Great Place

Current Employee - Ass Front Office Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ass Front Office Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of upward movement to progress

Cons

Low compensation for starting employees

Pay more and keep up the Hilton Values

Lots of fun, lots of options and lots of opportunities to grow with the company.

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits!!!! Free or low cost hotel stays, worldwide opportunities to work/travel, and cost effective insurance.

Cons

Working with technology that sometimes has a negative impact on performance and customer service.

Schedule upgrades and maintainance after 2am Central Time.