Hilton Worldwide

Hilton Worldwide Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Apr 27, 2014

Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta

Christopher Nassetta

Pros
  • if you enjoy travelling, the team member travel plan is awesome(in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits such as discount room rates and employment growth(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • There was not an appropriate work/life balance - especially for contractors(in 22 reviews)

• long hours - large events can be difficult to work with(in 33 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The pay was outstanding, good location, free hot lunches. No communication between departments or supervision of people.

Housekeeper (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat downtown location. Easy commute. Great pay. Free lunches. Free uniforms.

ConsCommunication is shut down on all levels. There's almost no security. Theft is rampant. There aren't enough employee lockers. Supplies are always low. Laundry is always behind in delivery to the floors.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh more security guards. Install more employee lockers. Hire more housekeeping supervisors. Purchase more linen and towels (and stop doing laundry for smaller downtown hotels. They end up with your linens.) Hold the directors accountable for their departments.

Review

Night Auditor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe hotel was recently acquired by a new company. There are high hopes that the new owners will make needed repairs to the hotel, as well as create a more employee-friendly atmosphere.

ConsCurrent owners of hotel have neglected maintenance to the point the hotel is falling apart in many areas. Owners do not seem to have the employees in mind concerning the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide complimentary coffee for guests during the wee hours of the morning. Provide a shuttle for the guests to nearby attractions, and the airport.

Negative place to work.

Accounting Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat discounts for select Hilton properties and great benefits.

ConsLow pay, Hilton has a low pay scale compared to other hotels and other comparable jobs. Most people who are promoted move between properties and cities. If you do move up in Hilton be prepared to move in. They over work there supervisors and management and EXPECT on average 60 hour work weeks. I finally left because they are unsupportive of a family life and expect your job to be your #1 priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and guidance instead of negativity might reduce such a high turnover.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hilton Hotels has lots of opportunities if you are willing to take that step up!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI've been employed with Hilton for over 6 years and I have lots of success. The benefits are good and the pay is satisfactory. (Everyone wants to get paid more) What I like best is the opportunity for growth. But the individual must be willing to do what is necessary to move up within the company.

ConsThe corporate office is now in VA and not California. In order to move up, you will need to move across the country.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing to add.

Ever heard of that term "sinking ship"

Frontdesk Agent (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsOn this sinking ship other than the (gm) your all on the same boat!!! Its like high school with playground rules !!!

ConsThe bottomline is always considered before you or your staff even in non ression times !!!!very rare occurance someone will get promoted !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to mr Nassetta is simple.!! renforce the fact to there managment divions throughout all company brands that an employee is more than just a number on a finacial statement that can be erased !! you dont let go good workers that are deacated to a company so you can remodel the carpet !!!!

Licensed Starbucks

Barista (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWorking at the Starbucks in Hilton is great because the execs always walk in and they get to know you on a personal level. There's lots of room for growth.

ConsThe other departments get jealous because we get the promotions which creates a hostile work environment. Some execs aren't very approachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the union and some of the execs need to be friendlier and more approachable.

Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt was the spot light within the Hilton company. The hotel was only opened little over one year ago. Very beautiful in design.

ConsLack of respect for its team members and lack of leadership development from the senior management.
    The lack of participation from the sernior management to the operation leading the management to make decisions that are not practical.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

There are better places to work

Revenue Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsRegular work hours and an almost regular paycheck depending on department. My department also offered some scheduling flexibility. Everything is extremely non-personal and corporate structured, as long as everyone is playing by the rules, human resources related items are fair and reasonable. Please notify HR as soon as your manager oversteps his/her bounds, it can happen.

ConsI've never been so degraded by management. I think I only heard 1 compliment from my employer while I was there. The corporate culture is back stabbing. It is common for people to steal your ideas/projects. And this is my "separation from employment" experience: I showed up for work and my boss said "due to your insubordination, we're letting you go". I've never been told that I am insubordinate nor was there anything mentioned during my employment. Two days prior to this meeting, my boss asked me to hand in my resignation letter as she knew I was leaving in a few months. When I got down to the HR department (yes, it's in a separate part of town), they said "please sign your resignation papers". Excuse me? I thought I was fired to day and quitting in 3 months. Well, apparently, any time after you hand in a resignation they can terminate your employment. So, my boss tricked me into quitting. This is not an infrequent case. I have heard it a dozen times from co-workers, but I never thought it was real.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on management skills and what it takes to build a team. Remember that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts and if you don't support your team, you might as well not play. Every time you demoralize someone on your team, you have lost a game. Nobody wants to be the Detroit Lions of the season.

Worked for Hilton Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!