Hilton Worldwide

Updated November 1, 2014
3.5

Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta
Christopher Nassetta

Pros
  • Team member travel program is a huge plus (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, the Team Member Travel program is alright when you can get it to work (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about work life balance but give it all talk as if they do care (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and advancement can take time depending on the management company (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Room Service Server in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Room Service Server in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hard-working coworkers, long term friendships outside the workplace, hands-on management that mostly takes employee feedback

Cons

Definite busy and slow seasons, as with all food businesses.

The pay was outstanding, good location, free hot lunches. No communication between departments or supervision of people.

Former Employee - Housekeeper in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great downtown location. Easy commute. Great pay. Free lunches. Free uniforms.

Cons

Communication is shut down on all levels. There's almost no security. Theft is rampant. There aren't enough employee lockers. Supplies are always low. Laundry is always behind in delivery to the floors.

High more security guards. Install more employee lockers. Hire more housekeeping supervisors. Purchase more linen and towels (and stop doing laundry for smaller downtown hotels. They end up with your linens.) Hold the directors accountable for their departments.

Review

Current Employee - Night Auditor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hotel was recently acquired by a new company. There are high hopes that the new owners will make needed repairs to the hotel, as well as create a more employee-friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Current owners of hotel have neglected maintenance to the point the hotel is falling apart in many areas. Owners do not seem to have the employees in mind concerning the work environment.

Provide complimentary coffee for guests during the wee hours of the morning. Provide a shuttle for the guests to nearby attractions, and the airport.

Negative place to work.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discounts for select Hilton properties and great benefits.

Cons

Low pay, Hilton has a low pay scale compared to other hotels and other comparable jobs. Most people who are promoted move between properties and cities. If you do move up in Hilton be prepared to move in. They over work there supervisors and management and EXPECT on average 60 hour work weeks. I finally left because they are unsupportive of a family life and expect your job to be your #1 priority.

Better training and guidance instead of negativity might reduce such a high turnover.

Hilton Hotels has lots of opportunities if you are willing to take that step up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

I've been employed with Hilton for over 6 years and I have lots of success. The benefits are good and the pay is satisfactory. (Everyone wants to get paid more) What I like best is the opportunity for growth. But the individual must be willing to do what is necessary to move up within the company.

Cons

The corporate office is now in VA and not California. In order to move up, you will need to move across the country.

nothing to add.

Ever heard of that term "sinking ship"

Current Employee - Frontdesk Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Frontdesk Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

On this sinking ship other than the (gm) your all on the same boat!!! Its like high school with playground rules !!!

Cons

The bottomline is always considered before you or your staff even in non ression times !!!!very rare occurance someone will get promoted !!!

My advice to mr Nassetta is simple.!! renforce the fact to there managment divions throughout all company brands that an employee is more than just a number on a finacial statement that can be erased !! you dont let go good workers that are deacated to a company so you can remodel the carpet !!!!

Licensed Starbucks

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

Working at the Starbucks in Hilton is great because the execs always walk in and they get to know you on a personal level. There's lots of room for growth.

Cons

The other departments get jealous because we get the promotions which creates a hostile work environment. Some execs aren't very approachable.

Get rid of the union and some of the execs need to be friendlier and more approachable.

Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

It was the spot light within the Hilton company. The hotel was only opened little over one year ago. Very beautiful in design.

Cons

Lack of respect for its team members and lack of leadership development from the senior management.
    The lack of participation from the sernior management to the operation leading the management to make decisions that are not practical.

none

There are better places to work

Former Employee - Revenue Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

Regular work hours and an almost regular paycheck depending on department. My department also offered some scheduling flexibility. Everything is extremely non-personal and corporate structured, as long as everyone is playing by the rules, human resources related items are fair and reasonable. Please notify HR as soon as your manager oversteps his/her bounds, it can happen.

Cons

I've never been so degraded by management. I think I only heard 1 compliment from my employer while I was there. The corporate culture is back stabbing. It is common for people to steal your ideas/projects. And this is my "separation from employment" experience: I showed up for work and my boss said "due to your insubordination, we're letting you go". I've never been told that I am insubordinate nor was there anything mentioned during my employment. Two days prior to this meeting, my boss asked me to hand in my resignation letter as she knew I was leaving in a few months. When I got down to the HR department (yes, it's in a separate part of town), they said "please sign your resignation papers". Excuse me? I thought I was fired to day and quitting in 3 months. Well, apparently, any time after you hand in a resignation they can terminate your employment. So, my boss tricked me into quitting. This is not an infrequent case. I have heard it a dozen times from co-workers, but I never thought it was real.

Focus on management skills and what it takes to build a team. Remember that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts and if you don't support your team, you might as well not play. Every time you demoralize someone on your team, you have lost a game. Nobody wants to be the Detroit Lions of the season.